Solo of the Month (SotM) #35 - Chat

stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
edited April 2018 in Making Music
This is the 35th solo of the Month (SotM) Challenge and is being run by @stratman3142 and @TTony.

The challenge is now open, and remains open for submissions until 11:30pm on 23rd April 2018.

Here's this month's backing track (you can download it from soundcloud). Record your solo over the top of it and then submit it (ideally in mp3 format) to solos@theFB.co.uk
Also, feel free to comment on how you approached the solo, which will add a bit more interest and maybe we can learn something from each other.

Link to backing track here

Discussion:
The tempo is 124 BPM and the backing track cycles through the following chord sequence.

Cm7 / / /  Dm7 / / /  Ebmaj7 / / /  Fsus4 / G9 /

The backing track has 3dB of headroom to add your solos. Add your solo and (as a guideline) try to avoid boosting the overall level beyond that if possible. That way the entries should be at roughly the same level and we won't get into loudness wars .

Voting will start soon after the submission deadline of 23rd April 2018, with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.
First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point
Voting will end on 11.30pm 30th April 2018
The order and scores of the top three entries will be announced soon after the voting ends. If there are 8 or more entries, then the order and scores of those in the top half will be announced.

No prizes. It's just for fun.

As people submit their entries, I'll post them below to hopefully promote some discussion on approaches used for the solo:
It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JayceeJaycee Frets: 309
    Would this be in the key of Bb?
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited April 2018
    Jaycee said:
    Would this be in the key of Bb?
    That's one way of looking at it. I would think of it as C Dorian mode. The G9 chord is a slight curve ball because it contains a B natural, but playing Bb against it still seems to work as it just sounds bluesy to me.

It's not a competition.
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 309
    thanks stratman will give that a go
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    Interesting! One of your own @stratman3142? I like it. Reminds me a bit of Pet Shop Boys. Gonna have to think carefully about how a guitar fits into that.
    edited April 2018
    markv said:
    Interesting! One of your own @stratman3142? I like it. Reminds me a bit of Pet Shop Boys. Gonna have to think carefully about how a guitar fits into that.

I can't really claim I came up with the arrangement. I worked out the chord sequence on guitar, then programmed it into some software called Chordpulse (link below).
    http://www.chordpulse.com/

I experimented with applying different styles in Chordpulse. The one I selected was called Synth Ethix. So the style was auto generated.

Then I exported a midi file from Chordpulse and dragged it into Reaper. After that I applied some decent VSTi's and effects in Reaper and tweaked things a bit. The VSTi's, plus the presets, were based on the following:

Drums: Addictive Drums: LinnDrum Wet from the Reel Machines ADPAK
    Bass Guitar: IK Modobass : Bass Man 5 model
    Synth Bass: Spectrasonics Trilian: Big 'n Clicky 2 preset
    Electric Piano: NI FM8 : Clean up the roads preset
    Organ: NI FM8 : B4 Organ preset
    Synth Pad 1: u-he Diva : MM Dramatic Strings preset
    Synth Pad 2: NI FM8 : Wet marrimba preset

It was a very quick way of generating a backing track, which is what I needed as I was moving house last month.

It's not a competition.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Sent!... 
    poopot said:
    Sent!... 

That's quick. I'm a bit bit busy at the moment but I'll try to upload it to a playlist within the next few days.

It's not a competition.
    poopot said:
    Sent!... 

That's quick. I'm a bit bit busy at the moment but I'll try to upload it to a playlist within the next few days.

Quick and it shows!!!! May redo the clunky bit in the middle if it’s ok?...
    poopot said:
    poopot said:
    Sent!... 

Quick and it shows!!!! May redo the clunky bit in the middle if it’s ok?...

Yes, you can send an update if you want to.

It's not a competition.

final one sent :) 
    edited April 2018
    poopot said:

final one sent  

OK. Got it.

It's not a competition.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    Just listened to the track. I have no idea what a solo guitar should be doing in that mix. Rhythm guitar with vocals.. yes... I can see that... 

but an appropriate solo will be a big challenge. Looking forward to it. Thanks for creating it 
    I got some spare time so I've done mine. That makes two entries so far, which are now in the playlist in the original post.

It's not a competition.
    I got some spare time so I've done mine. That makes two entries so far, which are now in the playlist in the original post.

Can’t see the tracks! :/
    poopot said:

That's strange. I can see them on my PC, tablet and phone. Is anyone else having problems seeing the tracks.

It's not a competition.
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    edited April 2018
    poopot said:

Can’t see the tracks!

That's strange. I can see them on my PC, tablet and phone. Is anyone else having problems seeing the tracks.

Yes, all working here. No problems.
    I can see them. They both seem to work  fine too (have avoided listening to them other than first few secs so as not to be influenced) 
    poopot said:

Got them now... it was saying “empty playlist” working now!.
    Sent
    Sent

Added to the playlist. That's 3 entries so far.

It's not a competition.