Analog Delay Suggestions

What's Hot
kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
I'm looking to add a delay to my pedalboard which will be placed after my Klon klone and Barber Direct Drive. I'll be using a Fender '52 reissue tele through a Princeton Reverb... I've found with the few delays that I have tried that the first repeat tends to stand out too much and clashes with the original signal, so basically I'm looking for something that takes a back seat when playing lead... One delay that I did like was the MXR Carbon Copy but it's delays tended to be a little bit too dark. Does anyone have any suggestions? The Maxon AD999 looks a promising option.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10699
    Yes the ibanez or keeley AD9 is good; also try a keeley or analogman DD3 - they use high cut filters on the delays so they get darker. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I like the boss dm2,  if you don’t want to look for an old one then try the updated waza version.   
    A lot of people go for a tape delay to get softer repeats - strymon El Capistan is great but I’d like to try the mxr echoplex for a smaller size. 
    I haven’t tried them but I like the clips I’ve heard of the way huge echo pedals as well.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    DOD rubberneck is a great pedal at a reasonable price (for analogue delay)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • bwetsbwets Frets: 162
    Definitely worth trying a Boss DM-2 or the Waza. The Maxons are lovely but on the brighter side. 
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    Cast Engineering Casper's where it's at. If it had tap i'd keep mine.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    I own and can recommend the following, all of which do quite long delays:
    - Maxon AD999 - my favourite, luscious sound, only downside is most of the useful delay times are concentrated into the middle 3rd of the Delay Time control
    - Boss DM-2 Waza - S mode sounds just like a DM-2 or DM-3, C mode gives you longer, brighter delays
    - EHX Memory Man TT550 - very useful tap tempo, lush modulation, similar feature set to the Carbon Copy Deluxe

I also have the Maxon AD9-Pro, which has very dark repeats (as does the Maxon AD999-Pro - didn't keep that for long!

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited April 2018
    Go Strymon and don't look back. El Capistan is my favourite

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Wampler faux delay. I loved mine. Sold it to fund the business last year. 

I may actually pick one up again soon!
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1379
    I'm selling a Way Huge Supa Puss. I demo'd all the Way Huge delays in PMT and they all sounded a bit different, but the Supa has the clearest sounding repeats, longest delay time, and the most tap options. It's also got really flexible controls to change the tone of the repeats.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    I'm looking to add a delay to my pedalboard which will be placed after my Klon klone and Barber Direct Drive. I'll be using a Fender '52 reissue tele through a Princeton Reverb... I've found with the few delays that I have tried that the first repeat tends to stand out too much and clashes with the original signal, so basically I'm looking for something that takes a back seat when playing lead... One delay that I did like was the MXR Carbon Copy but it's delays tended to be a little bit too dark. Does anyone have any suggestions? The Maxon AD999 looks a promising option.
    Based on that presumably the CC Bright. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3876
    Minifooger
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6083
    Maxon AD900 (discontinued but findable) or Boss DM-2W. Both can give quite subduded repeats.
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 395
    Recommend the El Cap or Catalinbred Epoche Deluxe is my fav delay wirh exp. pedal
    Jon
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    edited April 2018
    I find that the ehx 550tt is excellent. Not only in terms of sound, which is great, but in terms of practicality also. It's a powerful tool for the pedalboard.

The tap is useful, hold to send into oscillation a cool feature and scrolling through subdivisions also.i never use the loop but its a cool feature 

I also have the big moogerfooger and the carbon copy. If i had to chose one it would be the ehx.

EDIT

The digital emulation pedals sound good but always come across a tad vanilla next to the analog imo.

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Sounds like an El Cap would be right up your street!

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Carbon copy 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randersonranderson Frets: 187
    edited April 2018
     Ibanez EM5. Horrible looking digital thing but it really does sit under your note in a really nice way.

http://www.tinkercitymusic.com/gearheads/2017/2/17/hidden-gems-ibanez-em5-echomachine-delay
  • Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
    EHX Canyon. The tape mode is great and just 'floats' your lead lines without getting in the way, which I think you want? Plus you also get really good digital, modulated, deluxe memory man, shimmer, reverse etc