Mini head GAS - Mesa mini recto , orange dual terror , Marshall mini jubilee ???

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
edited April 2018 in Amps
my jcm800 and 4x12 are up for sale again , I'd like to downsize to something smaller , more crankable and easier to lug round .
I play in a few bands , nwobhm/punk/crossover/garage/classic rock is mostly what I play .
im thinking mini head and 2x12 .

I'm looking for something that had various levels of dirt , had some facility for a solo boost and is loud enough for gigging and also low  powered enough to play in the house .
so far I've got 3 amps in mind -

orange dual terror - 

i had a tiny terror hard wired and loved it , on paper the dt will have that sound with an extra channel for solo boost . Online demos sound good . Readily available 2nd hand  but don't know how good quality they are .

marshall mini jubilee -

might be similar ballpark to my jcm800 but smaller . Not tried one . Don't know if they have a solo boost .dont know what the build quality is like .

mesa mini recto -

online demos sound good. Seems to be versatile enough but without the myriad of options that my stiletto had . Not tried one , dont know if the have a solo boost . Good quality but expensive .

ive also seen an orange rocker 30 head for sale , I know these have a great reputation but I've not heard one and I don't  know if you can get a solo boost out of one .

all opinions and experiences are welcome , I need to try some out but experiences are useful as normally I find it really difficult to tell if an amp Is going to work for me just by playing it in a shop . I need to know what it’s like after a few band rehearsals and gigs !!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    You might want to consider the Jet City JCA22H - it'll pretty much do everything you want if you use the drive channel for solos. Cleans up really well with the guitar volume.

The Victory Kraken is also worth considering - you can use Gain I/II and Master I/II independently, for more flexibility - but the volume control's a hair-trigger at the low end and there's no way in hell you're using it at home (even on the low-power settings).
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    You might want to consider the Jet City JCA22H - it'll pretty much do everything you want if you use the drive channel for solos. Cleans up really well with the guitar volume.

The Victory Kraken is also worth considering - you can use Gain I/II and Master I/II independently, for more flexibility - but the volume control's a hair-trigger at the low end and there's no way in hell you're using it at home (even on the low-power settings).
    Thanks for the tip , the jet city looks like it might fit the bill but I don’t know how i would try one , might be one to keep my eye open for though !
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited April 2018
    I think the Mini Jubilee will work really well for you with an eq or micro amp in the loop for boosts. It does sort of have a built in lead boost but you'll sacrifice the best tone in it (imo) which is the lead channel without the rhythm clip pulled. 

The Origin 20/50 might work for you but it'll definitely need a boost for the nwobhm/punk stuff, especially if you want the footswitchable gain boost for leads. I think a treble booster would work great with the origin but it's definitely a more vintage voiced amp. The fx loop is footswitchable as well so you could just leave a micro amp on top of your amp and switch the loop in and out. If I end up getting one (very likely!) I'll probably run it this way with the gain boost always on and fx loop boost for solos.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    Not really my area of expertise - but Mesa prices are ridiculous these days. If you decide that’s what you want - make sure you by used....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Mesa prices ARE silly, never been a time when they weren't tbh !   The mini recto is a superb amp, I use mine via 2 1x12s or a 2x10. I've never used the 25w option gigging - the 10w setting is mentally loud, and the channel options will do any style.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • supessupes Frets: 181
    edited April 2018
    I know I’ve said it before but my Stoneham V2-50 is worth a try mate. Handmade, 50W, easily loud enough, small and light with clean/lead channel plus footswitchable solo boost. It’s a Marshall on steroids!! Very reasonable price too
    Actually I’ve just stuck it in the classifieds if anybody is intersted. 
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    I used to have a mini jubilee. It was ok I guess. Never really wowed me though. The effect loop gave me a headache though as it didn't like a lot of the delays and reverbs I tried into it. There was quite a volume drop when used.
    I thought the 5 watt mode was very weak sounding also. It was a shame as it looked cool!
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    Best of the lunchbox heads I’ve had was the Bogner ATMA.

Would tick the boxes for various levels of dirt and a solo boost. 
  • MickeyjiMickeyji Frets: 108
    A Mesa Express + ? It's got the solo boost, it has power attenuation, excellent cleans and enough gain to cover anything but the most brutal stuff. 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    edited April 2018
    I was looking for something similar as the OP recently I wanted able to play at home and at rehearsals, lots of gain but a nice clean channel too plus effects loop. 

I tried a fair few ranging up to £2000 and was surprised that it came down to a Peavey classic 20 mini (with a bogner red exctacy pedal) or what I went for an orange dual dark.  The dual is more than I need but my god the B channel is addictive 
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Just buy a Pink Taco. 
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    The Mini Rec will do it. Put a boost pedal in the loop if you need a volume hike for solos.
    I gig mine in a few bands, does everything from clean to mean and it's plenty loud enough. 

As said buy used, new prices are silly. 

You really need to try one out, you will be impressed.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Also worth checking out: the Vox Nutube Amplifier heads of which this is one example. They are tiny, and dead cute. I haven't tried one yet but I'd like to.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    TTBZ said:
    I think the Mini Jubilee will work really well for you with an eq or micro amp in the loop for boosts. It does sort of have a built in lead boost but you'll sacrifice the best tone in it (imo) which is the lead channel without the rhythm clip pulled. 
    I use both the clip and lead function and it's fabulous.  You have to spend some time setting the amp up, getting the EQ right and then the balance between rhythm/lead volumes, so it's not instantly gratifying.  Once you've got it set up for you though it's blummin' brilliant  :)

I've said it before and I'll say it again - if you want Marshall tones at the volume levels used in your average pub (backline, no mic'ing up) the Mini Jube is perfect.  I've had mine 18 months or so, it's on its second set of valves and it's been faultless.  So good, I sold all my other amps and bought a second Mini Jube head as a spare.
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    Yup, what @Twinfan said. Mini Jube is the perfect 'Marshall' crunch and lead sound for me, needs to be set to gigging volumes though, it does sound a bit thin at home volumes. If it is any help I gigged an old vertical input JCM800 for years and the jube is every bit as good as that but allows me to keep my cab in the venue rather than leaving it micd up in the van haha.
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    Oh and yes you can get a volume and gain boost out of the mini Jubilee as the lead channel has it's own volume control. Or you can run a clean boost in the loop which works well. Mine has done around 80 gigs now and been completely reliable (apart from the power light not working!).
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    Photek, so you know what I'm saying about gigging a jcm800 these days then !
    i need to try one out !
  • Nature_1Nature_1 Frets: 45
    edited April 2018
    Orange Jim Root Terror.

loud as shit, full tone control and an effects loop.

can only be improved with a clean channel, otherwise a flawless wee amp.
  • EvildurkaEvildurka Frets: 351
    Friedman Runt 20 is also a good shout. Has a clean and a dirty channel and can be boosted nicely. The recto is mentally loud not really suited to home use in my opinion and that of my old next door neighbour! Does sound great but when its at some volume, the Friedman is much friendlier in that regard. 
  • EvildurkaEvildurka Frets: 351
    The new Victory V30 MKii also looks really versatile but not sure they have actually come out yet.