Tesco. Annoying b*stardz

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Demand they reimburse what you paid for the email service! That'll teach 'em!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    Gmail is my favourite  it automatically sorts your emails and does a half decent job of it. Primary and Updates is where the important stuff goes, the rest is the kind of stuff you'd ignore. 

Only problem is it's very difficult to mass delete emails  
    That's what I find as well. Easy, simple graphics and unlikely to be shut down. Probably I'm just used to it after years of using it but still - would be my first recommendation.
    I have the outlook one for work that I use daily and it would not be my first choice for private address.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 844
    Don't switch to Yahoo. They're a piss poor company in a very precarious position and it would not surprise me in the slightest if they pulled their email service in the near future. Go with Outlook or Gmail unless you really value your privacy in which case roll your own.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited April 2018
    Gmail scans your emails for clues to tag Ads to you
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    TTony said:
    Buy your own domain, pay for a simple hosting service, get as many email addresses as you could ever need for minimal cost, all under your own control.

??? I don't speak this language?? No clue what that means!
    I presume that your current email address is in the form xxxxxx@tesco.net?

To explain my original post in slightly simpler terms ... I bought the domain thefb.co.uk when we set up this forum.   

Owning the rights to use a domain name isn't a whole lot of use in itself.   

Generally (but not necessarily) you'll buy the domain name from a company that also provides "hosting" services.  They'll offer to host a website, or a mail server, or various other services for you, using the domain name that you've bought.   

So, having bought the domain name, and a hosting package, I could create a website (eg www.thefb.co.uk) or email addresses (eg axisus@thefb.co.uk).  There's usually no effective limit to the number of email addresses that you can create using that domain name and - as long as you continue to pay for the hosting service - your email address will remain in use for as long as you want them. 

It can be useful being able to create different email addresses ... and not all reasons are nefarious!

You then use some sort of email program/app (eg Outlook, OS Mail, etc, etc, etc) to   receive/read/send emails from that address.  Or most service providers also have some sort of browser-based application that you can use.

Does that explain it?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    TTony said:
    axisus said:
    TTony said:
    Buy your own domain, pay for a simple hosting service, get as many email addresses as you could ever need for minimal cost, all under your own control.

??? I don't speak this language?? No clue what that means!
    I presume that your current email address is in the form xxxxxx@tesco.net?

To explain my original post in slightly simpler terms ... I bought the domain thefb.co.uk when we set up this forum.   

Owning the rights to use a domain name isn't a whole lot of use in itself.   

Generally (but not necessarily) you'll buy the domain name from a company that also provides "hosting" services.  They'll offer to host a website, or a mail server, or various other services for you, using the domain name that you've bought.   

So, having bought the domain name, and a hosting package, I could create a website (eg www.thefb.co.uk) or email addresses (eg axisus@thefb.co.uk).  There's usually no effective limit to the number of email addresses that you can create using that domain name and - as long as you continue to pay for the hosting service - your email address will remain in use for as long as you want them. 

It can be useful being able to create different email addresses ... and not all reasons are nefarious!

You then use some sort of email program/app (eg Outlook, OS Mail, etc, etc, etc) to   receive/read/send emails from that address.  Or most service providers also have some sort of browser-based application that you can use.

Does that explain it?
    Yes, very well thanks!
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I equate Tesco email with ntlworld, or Talk21, that sort of thing. Yes they provide email, but why would you use it when hotmail and gmail exist. I still remember the lifetime internet access I paid for with some random ISP, who folded after 18 months.

My wife has a Yahoo email account, whose days are surely numbered.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 844
    57Deluxe said:
    Gmail scans your emails for clues to tag Ads to you
    That can be switched off under: https://adssettings.google.com/authenticated - and anyway I use an adblocker plus ghostery so I rarely see ads these days.
  • I had this issue with BT mail when they decided to charge non-customers to use the service. I had a talk21.com email address for years. Migrated to gmail well before the first bill came through haha.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    axisus said:
    TTony said:
    There's usually no effective limit to the number of email addresses that you can create using that domain name and - as long as you continue to pay for the hosting service....
    Does that explain it?
    Yes, very well thanks!
    Also you can, if you want to, simply redirect your domain name email to a free email service like gmail. 
    E.g. axisus@axisus.org.uk   (which would cost no more than a fiver a year paid to the hosting company where you bought the domain) can be directed to, e.g. axisus@gmail.com (or whatever).
    You can log into your gmail from wherever and all your email will be automatically sent there once you've set up the redirect.
    It's a slightly "cheap" option cos when you're sending an email from gmail it will say
    "From axisus@axisus.org.uk (axisus@gmail.com)" but it still works; and is free.
    If you only want it to show from "axisus@axisus.org,uk" then you may have to pay a bit extra per year to the hosting company.  (I got one deal where this was a freebie; another where it wasn't.)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Grunfeld said:
    axisus said:
    TTony said:
    There's usually no effective limit to the number of email addresses that you can create using that domain name and - as long as you continue to pay for the hosting service....
    Does that explain it?
    Yes, very well thanks!
    Also you can, if you want to, simply redirect your domain name email to a free email service like gmail. 
    E.g. axisus@axisus.org.uk   (which would cost no more than a fiver a year paid to the hosting company where you bought the domain) can be directed to, e.g. axisus@gmail.com (or whatever).
    You can log into your gmail from wherever and all your email will be automatically sent there once you've set up the redirect.
    It's a slightly "cheap" option cos when you're sending an email from gmail it will say
    If you only want it to show from "axisus@axisus.org,uk" then you may have to pay a bit extra per year to the hosting company.  (I got one deal where this was a freebie; another where it wasn't.)
    That's a bit baffling. I'll re read it later with my higher IQ brain in
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Grunfeld said:
    axisus said:
    TTony said:
    Does that explain it?
    Yes, very well thanks!
    Why complicate matters by having and linking/directing your own personalised domain email (e.g jim@axisus.co.uk) with google email???

Doesn't make sense.

You don't get the post sent to your parents or a friend in another part of the world so they can forward it on to you. Do you?

After setting it up, you can access your personal emails from anywhere. Use an internet browser (Safari, Firefox, etc) to log into the email server and hey presto, direct access, and no Google involvement. No Facebook involvement either.

This isn't a criticism of Gmail. It's a criticism of forwarding emails.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Grunfeld said:
    axisus said:
    TTony said:
    Does that explain it?
    Yes, very well thanks!
    This is a guy who was happy to have his email end tesco.net so not sure he would give much of a care to it being a personalised - I may be wrong. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited April 2018
    fandango said:
    Why complicate matters by having and linking/directing your own personalised domain email (e.g jim@axisus.co.uk) with google email???

Doesn't make sense.
    1)  Gmail's search function is good.  (Google are really good at searching things.)  E.g. last week I wanted to find something from yonks back and with just a few key words from what I could remember Gmail had found it in seconds from 2006.  That's 12 years ago from tens of thousands of emails.  I'm not sure I could have pulled that email quicker/ at all without gmail.

2)  Storage:  I trust Gmail to do their backups more regularly than I do. 

So I might be mistaken in thinking those reasons are important but that's why I forward onto gmail. 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Grunfeld said:
    fandango said:

Doesn't make sense.
    1)  Gmail's search function is good.  (Google are really good at searching things.)  E.g. last week I wanted to find something from yonks back and with just a few key words from what I could remember Gmail had found it in seconds from 2006.  That's 12 years ago from tens of thousands of emails.  I'm not sure I could have pulled that email quicker/ at all without gmail.

2)  Storage:  I trust Gmail to do their backups more regularly than I do. 

So I might be mistaken in thinking those reasons are important but that's why I forward onto gmail. 
    I wasn't criticising Google. Just people's convoluted email practices.