New MOT regs

What's Hot
There are new regs coming into force in May this year for car Mots.
Anyone know which vehicles these new regs apply to as I think older cars will struggle to pass the test  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5421
    It's all cars (ie, any cars that have to have an MOT), and the new rules mean that some serious faults must be repaired before the vehicle can legally be driven away, even if you've got time left on your "existing" MOT. 

They're also checking DPT filters on diesel vehicles very carefully now - any evidence of tamper/removal causes an automatic MOT fail.
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 235
    Bugger
    It's going to cost alot more money.
    Another nail in the diesel car!!!
  • amarok1971amarok1971 Frets: 338
    rolls1392 said:
    Bugger
    It's going to cost alot more money.
    Another nail in the diesel car!!!
    thats probably their (the government) big plan
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Good, i’m fed up of following rolling smoke machines.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited April 2018
    Garthy said:
    Good, i’m fed up of following rolling smoke machines.
    Indeed.

Some of the diesels I've followed on the road recently (even relatively new ones) have been belching out so much black smoke it makes me wonder how they could possibly be legal emissions-wise.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Not so great for the people that bought diesels when the government loved them mind. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100
    edited April 2018
    I can’t see me pulling my boat up a slipway or off a beach with a Prius. Cnuts!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72329
    Whitecat said:
    It's all cars (ie, any cars that have to have an MOT), and the new rules mean that some serious faults must be repaired before the vehicle can legally be driven away, even if you've got time left on your "existing" MOT.
    I can't see any reason why this should currently be legal, so good. If a car is dangerous then it shouldn't be on the road.

Not so great for the people that bought diesels when the government loved them mind. 
    If they're properly maintained then it shouldn't be a problem.

(But you know I'm a diesel-hater anyway ;).)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Whitecat said:
    I can't see any reason why this should currently be legal, so good. If a car is dangerous then it shouldn't be on the road.

Not so great for the people that bought diesels when the government loved them mind. 
    If they're properly maintained then it shouldn't be a problem.

(But you know I'm a diesel-hater anyway ;).)
    I agree completely. There used to be a loophole though where if you car failed the new MOT there was no obligation to have it fixed until the last second before that one expired. So dangerously poorly-maintained cars could be on the road for another month...
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Why would anyone unquestioningly believe what 'the goverment' say though?
    If Gordon Brown told you to stick your hand in a fire would you have done it?

• Octafish said:
    Why would anyone unquestioningly believe what 'the goverment' say though?
    Garthy said:
    If Gordon Brown told you to stick your hand in a fire would you have done it?

That in itself isn't the problem, it's that the car market bombed on diesels as soon as they became public enemy number 1, meaning people who owned them lost a fortune. 

Fortunately for me I was in a position where I could afford to buy new, so got a scrappage deal on my diesel to change to a hybrid. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    At least it wasn't retrospective like the petrol RFL was ten years ago, that was driven by spite and envy.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    Whitecat said:
    I agree completely. There used to be a loophole though where if you car failed the new MOT there was no obligation to have it fixed until the last second before that one expired. So dangerously poorly-maintained cars could be on the road for another month...
    No there wasn't. If the tester said it was unsafe to drive you had to pick it up on a trailer if you wanted to take it away. 

That was certainly the case 12 years ago when I became an MOT tester/manager. 
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    edited April 2018

MoT test 2018 - Why, when and what is changing? Check out how it will affect you

NEXT month the new MOT test changes will come in. Here’s is what is changing, how it’ll affect you and why.

PUBLISHED: 10:18, Mon, Apr 2, 2018 | UPDATED: 10:18, Mon, Apr 2, 2018

The MoT test will be changing in the UK from May 2018.

A raft of new changes are being introduced by the DVSA next month, which drivers should become familiar with ahead of the debut.

The new measures to improve driver safety, reduce air pollution and make the test harder for diesel cars to pass, will become effective from 20th May.

Of the changes to the test, the biggest is the introduction of three new defect failure categories.

Under the new rules, faults will be categorised as: Minor, Major or Dangerous.

These categories grade faults by severity and will represent different things for drivers.

If a car is given a Minor fault it will still be able to pass the road-worthiness test, but it will be marked on the MoT certificate.

They are equivalent to ‘advisory’ notices which are written on current test certificates and may be something that needs to be revisited later down the line.

Major and Dangerous fault will result in an immediate ban, but Dangerous faults render a car illegal to drive on UK roads, until the issue is resolved and the car is retested.

Diesel cars also face tighter air pollution standards, making it harder to pass visible.

For example, if there is any visible smoke coming from he exhaust pipe the car will immediately fail.

In addition to this if the particulate filter has been removed or tampered with then the car will also not pass the test.

A plethora of new checks will also be introduced which include: reversing lights on vehicles, daytime running lights , front fog lights, emission control equipment and fluid leaks posing an environmental risk.

Three new fault categories are being introduced: Minor, Major, and Dangerous

Below is a definitive list of the changes to the MOT test coming into force on May 20th 2018: 

• 1. The new smoke limits will apply to vehicles first used from 2014 and the use of manufacturer specified limits, where they exist, on vehicles first used from July 2008.
    • 2. The full list of new checks is:
    • Reversing lights on vehicles first used from September 2009
    • Daytime running lights on vehicles first used from March 2018
    • Front fog lights on vehicles first used from March 2018
    • Prop shafts
    • Bumper security and condition
    • Rear drive shafts on all vehicles
    • Cab security
    • Cab steps
    • Floor condition
    • Undertray security
    • Noise suppression material
    • Emission control equipment
    • Engine malfunction indicator lamp
    • Fluid leaks posing an environmental risk
    • 3.  Euro 6 vehicles must be fitted with diesel particulate filters but they may also be fitted on Euro 5 and Euro 4 vehicles if the manufacturer considered it necessary to meet emissions standards
    • 4.  Motorists should make sure that:
    • Brakes work smoothly and that the vehicle doesn’t pull to one side
    • Tyres are correctly inflated, have no cuts or bulges, and have at least the minimum amount of tread (1.6mm for cars and 1.0mm for motorcycles and vehicles with more than 8 passenger seats)
    • Headlights and other lights work - give them a tap to check they’re not loose or damaged and show light of the correct colour
    • Windscreen wipers and washers work
    • The driver’s view of the road is clear of any obstruction, such as stickers, toys or air fresheners

Drivers can be fined £1,000 of they are found to be driving without a valid MoT certificate. 

Data revealed last year by the DVSA revealed that moe than a quarter of cars are overdue for their MoT in the UK. 

To combat the amount of cars that don’t have a valid certificate on the road the agency launchd a free notification service. 

The new reminder service has been launched in an attempt to make Britain’s roads safer. 

Drivers can now get a free annual text message or email four weeks before their car’s MOT is due.

The service is free and simple to apply for online and was developed after feedback from drivers. 

Research revealed that around three-quarters of the motorists who were late for their MOT had actually forgotten the date.

• MtBMtB Frets: 922
    edited April 2018
    Yup, get yerself a pre-1978 car or motorbike. 

From 20 May 2018 the MOT test for vehicles over 40 years old will be abolished. It means that cars and bikes will simultaneously become MOT and VED-exempt the moment they hit 40.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2017/september/mot_test_exemption_40_year_old_bikes
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    Time to get my '68 Triumph 500 on the road.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    rocktron said:

Major and Dangerous fault will result in an immediate ban, but Dangerous faults render a car illegal to drive on UK roads, until the issue is resolved and the car is retested.

What's the difference between an immediate ban and being rendered illegal to drive on UK roads?

That doesn't make any sense, I can't believe that's VOSA's wording.
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    edited April 2018

Under the new test, defects will be categorised as either Dangerous, Minor or Major. 

Drivers will automatically fail the road worthiness test if they receive a Dangerous or Major fault. 

Motorists that land a Minor defect will still be able to pass the test, but it will be noted down on the MoT certificate. 

The changes are being made under the EU Roadworthiness Package with the overall sum of standardising testing and improving road safety. 

The RAC has, however, said that the changes could create grey areas, leaving cars on the road with potential problems that could damage safety.

RAC spokesman Simon Williams said: “While on the surface this change seems like a sensible move we fear many motorists could end up being confused by the new categories which give an indication as to the seriousness of vehicle defects identified in an MOT test. 

“Rather than MOT failures simply being black and white, the new system creates the potential for confusion as testers will have to make a judgement as to whether faults are ‘dangerous’, ‘major’ or ‘minor’.

“This will surely be open to interpretation which may lead to greater inconsistency from one test centre to another.

The motoring body has also said that the Dangerous and Major categories could just lead to drivers becoming confused and that the new system could do the opposite of what it is trying to achieve. 

"We do not want to see a lowering of MOT standards", says RAC spokesman Simon Williams.

“Motorists may also struggle to understand the difference between ‘dangerous’ and ‘major’ failures.

“The current system ensures that any vehicle with a fault that doesn’t meet the MOT requirements is repaired appropriately before being allowed back on the road. 

“We should be doing all we can to make the vehicles on our roads as safe as possible rather introducing a new system which has the potential to do the opposite. 

“We do not want to see a lowering of MOT standards.”

“We understand the Government has little choice in the matter, but gut instinct says if the system isn’t broken, why mess with it. But if a car is broken, fix it.”

Emissions tests for diesel cars will also become tougher. 

If a car’s diesel particulate filter is found to be faulty or have been tampered with in any way then it will instantly fail the test. 

In addition to this a major fault will be issued if the exhaust pipe emits any visible smoke of any colour. 

Other changes to the test in May include allowing cars over 40 years old to bypass the standard MoT test

This has also been met with controversy as it is allowing potentially old and dangerous cars to operate on the roads without relevant safety checks. 

edited April 2018
    p90fool said:
    Whitecat said:
    No there wasn't. If the tester said it was unsafe to drive you had to pick it up on a trailer if you wanted to take it away. 

That was certainly the case 12 years ago when I became an MOT tester/manager. 
    I’m going by what I read in the news... 

"In the past, as long as your car was deemed roadworthy, you could keep driving it even after it failed, provided your old MoT was still valid.

But now the second your car fails, it can be deemed "dangerous", and driving a car rated as that means a fine of up to £2,500 and three points on your licence."

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/you-make-simple-mistake-you-14484789

It certainly could be wrong!