pc amp sim

What's Hot
AncientOwlAncientOwl Frets: 2
hi guys hope this is posted in the correct place, has anyone had any experience with amp sim programs on pc. i’ve downloaded a free demo just to see if it’s any good for a bit of fun and to maybe record a bit of my playing but struggle to get any sound? any help or proven software would be great, thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    edited April 2018
    I'm sure there are other people with much more to say on  this than me, but this video was how I got started with my most recent cycle of plugging my guitar into my PC.  My first question is which audio interface you're using?  I'm using the Scarlett 2i2 and Behringer DI box suggested by Steve in the video:

In terms of software I started with Guitar Rig 5 Player, quickly bought the Rammfire upgrade, then bought the Pro version of Guitar Rig 5 in a Native Instruments half price sale.  Then I stopped playing with it because I found I preferred the simplicity of my Cornell amp.  Last year I bought Ableton Live and run Helix Native as a VST plugin into it, which is entertaining.
  • the interface is just a £20 amazon usb to phono lead and i’ve downloaded the free guitar rig too
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    Can you give a hyperlink to the Amazon lead please?
  • oh no the software isGA3 free? i’m downloading the guitar rig one now. see how i get on
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Neewer 10 feet USB Interface Male to 6.35mm 1/4-inch Electric Guitar Converter Cable, Studio Audio Cable Guitar Computer Connector Cord Adapter for Instruments Recording Singing iPhone GarageBand Game https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071NVW6V5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_TmIXAbEG4P4H0
  • cheaper than i thought lol, maybe there lies the problem, still no joy with rig 5 either. no midi input detected?
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

What operating system are you using?  If you're using a Mac, then Logic Pro X has some nice built in guitar sims, and you can also record with it!  I recorded my riff of the month entry using the "Brown Head" sim with all EQ set flat.  It's a little bright, but overall, for a built in amp sim in a DAW, I can't complain. 

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/128746/raw-riff-of-the-month-rrotm-35-chat#latest

• windows 10.. thanks
  • any ideas on a decent interface that won’t break the bank? in case it’s just my cheap lead
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    How much do you want to spend?
  • not a lot probably £50ish i’m only just starting out and have spent a lot in the last month on my guitar and amp etc, if it can’t be done for £50 i’ll just have to put it on hold for a month. i know the software is going to be £100+ on top too
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27598
    windows 10.. thanks
    Despite being a PC users since the mid 80s, I found Apple a much easier platform to use for guitar recording / music recording, despite spending a fortune on PC interfaces and programs through the years.  Got an iPhone/iPad?

no midi input detected?
    From what I can see, that lead won't give you a midi input.  It's purely phono to usb, with  no midi converter anywhere.

Does WIn10 recognise the lead when you plug it in to a usb port?  Does anything install/activate?  

I've not used GuitarRig, but I'd guess that you need to hunt through the settings and look for audio input.  Then check that Win10/GuitarRig has recognised that you've plugged something (capable of delivering an audio input) into your system.

any ideas on a decent interface that won’t break the bank? in case it’s just my cheap lead
    http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irig2/

Suitable for phone/tablets (iOS/Android) .  Don't think that I'd use it on a phone, but if you've got younger eyes, you might be OK.  Perfect if you've got an iPad or Android table about the place though.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • yeah the pc recognised it and if i go into my soundcard program to look for it i can play my guitar through my stereo amp as i use my pc for tv, gaming etc but it has to be turned up reallly loud to here anything. i have an ipad and iphone but really wanted to be able to put it on my pc and play it through my speakers and play with some fx etc. guitar rig doesn’t recognise it though. i do have bluetooth from my phone to my stereo for deezer etc so maybe an ipad/phone software and interface would be ideal?
  • going have a look at that iRig2 thanks
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27598
     i have an ipad
    That, plus an interface, and some apps, is the solution.

Easier to use, apps are better/cheaper, and you can plug & play wherever you want rather than being tied to wherever the PC sits.

iRig isn't the best interface, but it's easily within your budget and is a good place to start.    Spend the rest on some apps when you get bored of the free version of Amplitube (which includes some fx, amp sims, etc, IIRC) that comes with iRig.

play it through my speakers 
    You really want the sort of speakers that fit over your ears.
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thanks a lot buddy, i’ll get the iRig. as you say i can upgrade as i go, i’m having a clear out in the garage so should free up some more cash soon.. thanks again
  • ok so i’ve tried plugging my guitar into my xonat u5 sound card on my pc an straight away i can here my guitar and it sounds good, responsive but very clean tone. but as soon as i load up an amp sim rig 5 etc it distorted horrendously all the time even when not strumming the guitar. it sounds like a badly tuned 80s radio. any ideas?
  • just ordered the iRig 2 so hopefully can be back to enjoying my guitar tomorrow, thanks for the help guys