Has anyone gone Wah less?

What's Hot

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    I went Wahless for the first 25 years, then I splurged out. Took another few months to get the habit well enough to take it on the road.
    Now I use is about twice a night, Wishing on a star - Rose Royce just sounds so much better with that key ingedient. Most other covers you can get away without it though. A quick sweep across a chord change is a nice touch too.
    I can take it or leave it, but it stays on the board all the time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JotaJota Frets: 464
    Sold my wah pedal when I finally decided I did not knew how to use it!
    Last year I got into a Soul band and I bought an expression pedal for my MS-3 that I use as a wah in a couple of songs.
    i still don't like the effect and i don't really think I know how to use but the rest of the band seems to like it!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Many, many, many years ago I went to see Innes Sibun ( spll?) and thought he was ace and went out and bought a Crybaby the next day ( so I could be just like him). Over the next twenty years it must have only had a few hours use, I decided I was completely shit at using it and it also developed a fault. Sold on here to someone who wanted the shell. 
    So, yes, wahless. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
    Ditto
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3865
    tone1 said:
    Haven’t had a Wah for a few years now.... I found using it like patting your head while  rubbing your tummy.

If you can't do that, you've no business playing guitar! ;0)
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    As long as it's a wah with a clear on /off indicator then I get on okay with them. My rule is to make sure I only use it a maximum of twice per gig to avoid Hammett syndrome. 

I've also used Whammy pedals happily. The different technique to wah can be a nuisance at first but you do get used to it. 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    I didn't have a wah for years, then picked up a Cry Baby Mini cheap. I think I've used it at one (1) gig in the couple of years I've had it. I don't really get on with wahs anyway, just thought it would be useful for certain songs. Before I had it I would just use my Phase 100 on a slow sweep!
  • I love wah, but my jaw and cheeks always hurt after playing it. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    shaunm said:
    I have gone on a pedal buying mission of late and the result is that i am running out of space. 

Due to the fact I am needing more in the way of fuzzes and modulations it may well be my Wah that takes the hit. If i really need a wah I can attach it to the side of my board I guess? 

Does anyone else do this?
    When I use my conventional pedal board, yes, as I use wah infrequently. However, nowadays I use my Vox Tonelab SE and LE which have two types of wah built in.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited April 2018
    I got rid of mine about a year ago for 2 reasons.. the main one was it was sucking tone and sustain really bad and the other was that I was using it as a crutch to try and make my boring solos sound more interesting. 

I dont miss it much but have actually been thinking about getting a crybaby mini for a while to use as more of a controllable filter and for the cocked wah sounds which could be interesting. I find the typical use of wah a bit cheesy now.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited April 2018
    Many, many, many years ago I went to see Innes Sibun ( spll?) and thought he was ace and went out and bought a Crybaby the next day ( so I could be just like him). Over the next twenty years it must have only had a few hours use, I decided I was completely shit at using it and it also developed a fault. Sold on here to someone who wanted the shell. 
    So, yes, wahless. 
    I know Innes quite well - he lives just down the road to me I know what you mean about his playing. Sometimes it sounds all over the place but in fact it's not he knows exactly where he is and lands on the important notes / chords of the songs. His Wah playing is the same. I once borrowed his crybaby to see if I can replicate his wah style but I couldn't and haven't been able to get a sound that I like out of war's ever since. I've given up on them now  
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Heathens. Y'all need some Shaft in your life :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I was born wah-less, I’ll die wah-less, and in the middle, whilst I’ve made a few mistakes here and there, I try to refrain from wah-ness. it’s just better that way.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    clarkefan said:
    I agree but I can't getting a wah to sound like that :(
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    clarkefan said:
    Cornwall's favourite chat up line...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    clarkefan said:
    I agree but I can't getting a wah to sound like that :(
    Me neither, and God knows I've spent enough time and money trying :( It's ridiculous, a piece of piss, and I can't nail it. Will keep trying though :)
  • Just put wah back on my board after a long time without... danger with wah for me is I I’ll use it tooo much!!
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1132
    Fractal auto-wah for years now, so much better than waggling your foot around :)

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited April 2018
    The AMT Japanese Little Girl Wah is the cutest little wah I've ever seen and its a pretty colour too!  I had a hankering for one when I was going to build a larger pedal board but changed my mind and stuck with Tonelabs. But if you want a little wah to add to your pedal board it's great. And although it's the same size as a Boss compact pedal it's surprisingly easy to use and control.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Voxman said:
    The AMT Japanese Little Girl Wah is
    apparently made in Russia!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself