FAA - Fuzz Addicts Anonymous

What's Hot

Comments

• SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 336
    After 25 years as a distortion only junkie, I finally used my ThorpyFX The Veteran in anger a few days ago and instantly fell head over heals in love with it.

A genuinely amazing pedal and it instantly became a keeper. This is one pedal that I'll never sell.

I don't think I'll become a fuzz fanboy any time soon...famous last words!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12316
    I love fuzz but don’t have one at the mo, I’ve had loads. I really want the third man fuzz from jacky whites third man website it sounds effing brilliant and wait for it- doesn’t have any knobs!
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12900
    I built myself quite a few DIY fuzz clones over the past few years, including the following:

modified Monolith Oracle (probably my favourite fuzz of all)
     modified EHX Triangle Muff (another favourite)
     modified EHX V2 violet Muff
     EHX '78 IC Muff
     modified Jordan Creator 6000 (probably more of a distortion than a fuzz)
     Sustain Punch Creamy Dreamer
     Earthbound Supercollider
     Tonebender Mk I
     Tonebender Mk II
     Tonebender Mk III
     modified Retro Channel Fuzz
     D*A*M 1966
     D*A*M Drag'N'Fly
     D*A*M Flesh Head
     D*A*M FZ-673
     D*A*M GB-80 Greasebox
     D*A*M Meathead Deluxe
     D*A*M Meathead Deluxe (dark silicon version)
     D*A*M Meathead
     Shin-Ei FY-2
     Fender Blender
     ZVex Fuzz Factory
     ZVex Woolly Mammoth

I really need to get my arse into gear and finish off the Buzzaround that I started ages ago. I've built a few for others and like the sound a lot. I've got a whole load of various Muff clones in various stages of completion, a couple of D*A*M clones I never got around to finishing, plus a fair few others.

-quite the collection! 

Do you not find that after a while they all begin to sound the same? Maybe it's the way I use fuzzes but beyond the major circuits I find the subtleties sometimes get lost quite easily. 
  • TeeByrdTeeByrd Frets: 159
    TeeByrd said:
    My current fuzzy hoard, including a couple of Ge Boosts and a Germanium overdrive (low gain fuzz). 

https://imgur.com/a/Ja07Y
    How do you like the Wizard @TeeByrd ?
    It’s the next best thing to getting Tony’s amp and treble booster if you want that Sabbath sound. Really does nail it, though only Tony really sounds like Tony! Needs a loud and very clean amp, though, to really sing. My two both start getting dirty at decent volume, so the Wizard doesn’t get used as much.
    edited April 2018

samzadgan said:
    TeeByrd said:
    My current fuzzy hoard, including a couple of Ge Boosts and a Germanium overdrive (low gain fuzz). 

https://imgur.com/a/Ja07Y
    loving those colourful EFE pedals man. 

That pigdog space face is awesome...a friend on mine got one of the blemish ones Steve was selling a few months ago.

i've heard good things about those Maxon's too...what do you think of it??
    My Space Face is from the first run and has the brace of NKT275s. Sounds awesome, especially as I’ve  changed to running a Germanium Booster before fuzz as an alternative to amp gain and, imho, it brings out the harmonics more.  

I got the Maxon used for pretty cheap. It’s proper brilliant! Best pronounced, punching Octave I’ve used on a fuzz. Only problem is that I now want the whole Fuzz Elements set. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Hello, my name’s lukedlb and it’s been two days since I last bought a fuzz. I thought I was getting better last week when I grabbed the opportunity and sold a vintage silicon fuzzface. Then a veteran came up and well, I just couldn’t help myself.
    For the last 25 years I've exclusively used distortion as my dirt sound, however I recently bought a ThorpyFX Veteran and am now a complete convert to Fuzz. It's an amazing pedal and has literally made three amp heads redundant. I can see my pedal collection start growing again sooner rather than later!

Next stop: Fallout/Muffroom Cloud!

• FezFez Frets: 522
    Thorpy Fallout Cloud is all the fuzz I need.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited April 2018
    Been listening to a shit load of Elder recently and thus when pay day comes I think I'm going to have to order the fuzzdogs Pharaoh kit to see if that'll get me close to that tone! If I like it I'll prob get the real thing or a supreme :)
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    The thorpy veteran has surpassed expectations and will now take over fuzz duty from Sonus. 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786

Having avoided using fuzz (or distortion) for a while, I've started having fun with a few recently.

From @VJIves I acquired a very pink TAFM, which makes some great noises, and after putting my old L6 DM4 on the "board" (3 out of 4 patches are varieties of fuzz plus the glorious MT-2 :) ) and adding a fuzz patch to my Tonelab ST, I've been messing around with the fuzz side of one of my BitQuests, the ability to add bitcrushing, flanger, reverb etc. makes a couple of hours woosh by :)

Rather than spending large amounts on more expensive pedals (no doubt this will change) I've been thinking about picking up a kit or two and making some (details to follow).
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    lukedlb said:
    The thorpy veteran has surpassed expectations and will now take over fuzz duty from Sonus. 
    I've never been bowled over by a pedal like I was by the Veteran. Adrian should be very proud of himself!
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    Paul_C said:
    From @VJIves I acquired a very pink TAFM, which makes some great noises
    Aside from 'woo, money!', I was pleased you bought that as I figured something with such a severe gate would work better with your setup than something relentlessly noisy. I'm quite temped by that new Rainger FX gated reverb/distortion for the same reason.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786

The gate is very useful :) and better than the gate on the DM4.

I've just placed an order for a Parasit Studios Into The Unknown kit - which includes theramin fuzz :)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • glynesglynes Frets: 131
    The smellier the better

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    glynes said:
    The smellier the better

Sometimes the Wow button seems wholly inadequate.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
    Anyone tried/own a Solid Gold FX 76 Fuzz?
    Would be interested on opinions. Sounds good on Youtube vids.
  • jacksparrowjacksparrow Frets: 673
    @glynes  ; wow some vintage collection that. What circuit is in the gold tonebender?
    @glynes  ; wow some vintage collection that. What circuit is in the gold tonebender?
    Looks like a transition MK1.5 but im probably way off
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Had to sell it years ago as was in the crapper but I did love my Roland Bee Baa AF100.  if demonic fuzz is your thing