Klone Help

What's Hot
kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
Hi

I've recently purchased a RYRA Klone and was wondering about the best placement for the pedal. I'm aiming to use the Klone as an 'always on' pedal to boost my signal into the front of my Princeton Reverb. I also purchased a Barber Direct Drive to use as my main overdrive pedal. When putting the Klone first in the chain it seems that every time I switch on the Barber the volume jumps up considerably. When the Klone is last in the chain and I switch on the Barber there's not a lot of change in volume, just a change in tone. Am I right in saying that the overdrive that's last in the chain determines the overall signal input into the front of the amp? And therefore it's better to put an 'always on' pedal at the end of the chain? Also any recommendations for an OD that works well with a Klone please let me know, the Barber is great but seems to change the tone a lot when fed into the Klone.

Thanks!
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 908
    edited April 2018
    I would put an "always on' pedal like this first in the chain. When doing so though can't you just turn the volume of the Barber down?
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have my RYRA placed before my other drives, to my ears it sounds better. Tried it after and wasn’t really convinced. A brilliant always on pedal both as clean boost and drive. I also have a Princeton and the RYRA sounds fantastic through it. Gain set to about 10-11 o’clock
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 395
    Thanks for the tip of placing these;
    My Carr Sportsman and RYRA will get connected first as i haven't tried that.

• kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
    I know a Klon is usually used as a boost but does anyone else really like the Klons gain as well? I think it sounds great, better than the direct drive IMO
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1384
    I'm struggling to "get" my klone (by fredric). I wanted it to be a compressed/smooth/midrangey lead boost but it's less like a tubescreamer than I expected
    bbill335 said:
    I'm struggling to "get" my klone (by fredric). I wanted it to be a compressed/smooth/midrangey lead boost but it's less like a tubescreamer than I expected
    Yeah it seems totally different to a tubescreamer to me. Its got some sort of mid hump but it's very subtle and still retains a lot of the character of the pickups. Very enjoyable when playing rock with a tele I've found... I'm considering getting a second klone to see how well they stack. Maybe try using the klone for crunchy chords and stack it with a more mid-rangey drive for solos?
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1384
    bbill335 said:
    Yeah it seems totally different to a tubescreamer to me. Its got some sort of mid hump but it's very subtle and still retains a lot of the character of the pickups. Very enjoyable when playing rock with a tele I've found... I'm considering getting a second klone to see how well they stack. Maybe try using the klone for crunchy chords and stack it with a more mid-rangey drive for solos?
    The solution to "this pedal isn't working for me" has never been, in my experience, to add more pedals. 
    bbill335 said:
    bbill335 said:
    The solution to "this pedal isn't working for me" has never been, in my experience, to add more pedals. 
    Flog it and get a tubescreamer?