What alternative to iTunes would you suggest?

What's Hot
I've just updated iTunes on my Macbook Pro and it's started misbehaving. Not for the first time. It's continually complaining that the library is corrupt and therefore building me a new (empty) one.

So I'm looking for any alternative that might suit my needs, which are...

My music files are stored on a NAS (a WD Cloud) that sits on my home network (via cable) and also supports wi fi. We've been using an iTunes library that also sits on the WD Cloud, and allowing iTunes to manage the storage of the music files 

There is a music player supplied by Western Digital for both MacOS and iOS that works fine, as long as you are happy to navigate a directory structure (or folders, if you prefer) to find your albums. I don't do playlists, so being able to create and manage them isn't a requirement for me. The WD Cloud supports DNLA, which is why I keep the music files there. 

My wife also plays music from the WD Cloud using her iPad or Win 10 PC, so moving the music somewhere else, or to a non-shared place isn't an option. 

We also load up music to our iDevices and play them using the iOS Music App. 

Any suggestions for alternatives? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9836
    Media monkey is OK if you don't need the auto playlists (as you have to pay for that)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • oafoaf Frets: 300
    Foobar2000 has a Mac build (though I think it is unfinished!)
    https://www.foobar2000.org/mac
    Might be worth a go, the PC version is excellent.
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1298
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    LP12 and a load of proper LPs?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4801
    Lovely though a Sondek is, I haven't hankered after noisy, poorly-pressed LPs ever since I bought a Cyrus CD system 25 years ago or so. ;)

For me, lossless music files (ALAC in my case) sound just as good as a CD streamed through my DAC and amplifier and it's very convenient if I'm in a room without a CD player. 

A CD is more faithful than vinyl, even though I accept some people prefer vinyl in the same way some people prefer vintage cars. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    noisy, poorly-pressed LPs
    I'm pleased to say I don't have too many of those. Some that are noisy can be put in the cleaning system and then they come out less noisy.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    I also use Clementine.
    Thanks to all for the suggestions so far.

I'm getting no joy or useful feedback from Apple or Western Digital regarding the issue. I'm starting to believe that iTunes will only work reliably if it has 100% of the control of the WD device - and isn't written to support multiple users doing simultaneous updates. I also suspect WD Cloud devices are a bit more simple than they'd like me to believe and only permit file sharing at the share level and two people updating data in the same share at the same time may not be supported. My fault for looking for a robust solution! 

I can't find MacOS builds for MediaBee or Media Monkey. They seem to be Windows-only. I've just installed something called QuodLibet and I'll take a look at Clementine, too. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    edited April 2018
    Do these alternatives enable uploading to iPhones in a neutral way (ie. that they still work for music replay, and allow sync to update purchases) ?
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    I have had long term issues with iTunes cocking up library and downloads, it's a flakey piece of crap.

It is particularly irksome when it "loses" all the CDs you've spent hours importing. This has happened 3-4 times with me.  So my strategy is to always backup iTunes library before a software update - that removes 90% of the arse ache if you *do* get a corrupted library and need to recover.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
    Do these alternatives enable uploading to iPhones in a neutral way (ie. that they still work for music replay, and allow sync to update purchases) ?
    Jalapeno said:
    I have had long term issues with iTunes cocking up library and downloads, it's a flakey piece of crap.

It is particularly irksome when it "loses" all the CDs you've spent hours importing. This has happened 3-4 times with me.  So my strategy is to always backup iTunes library before a software update - that removes 90% of the arse ache if you *do* get a corrupted library and need to recover.
    Re 1: I don't know yet. My fallback plan is a small iTunes library on my Macbook. I've always manually managed moving music onto and off my iDevices. I don't buy music as Apple downloads. I like CDs. At worst, I'll be copying files from the WD Cloud onto my Macbook and using iTunes to populate the iPhone/iPad. I'm ripping CDs into Apple Lossless format and that is what I'm storing on the WD Cloud. That works fine as a DNLA music server, so playback when I'm at home has many solutions. Even the WD Cloud music player is workable.

Re 2: I've never lost any music files - just the library that references them. That's even though I let iTunes manage the storage of the music. I could always use the WD Cloud player to get to /iTunes Media/Music/ and play the songs. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom