New Orange Vertical 2x12 with Neo Creambacks

What's Hot
MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
I've been looking at 2x12s this week, with the ideal solution being a vertical high quality lightweight cab with neo-creambacks, and it turns out Orange already makes one. https://orangeamps.com/products/guitar-speaker-enclosures/ppc212v/

under 20kg loaded which is very light

Problem is it's a bit pricey at £688

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    edited April 2018
    Listen to this first. You'll either love it or hate it.
    I saw this on YouTube , I think it's a great video that shoes the differences between the cabs in a practical way .
    quite an ear opener for me ! I know cabs make a huge difference , but I think this video illustrates it really well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31632
    This one is £250, and 24kg loaded with conventional speakers you could sell? 
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    ICBM said:7
    Listen to this first. You'll either love it or hate it.
    I saw this on YouTube , I think it's a great video that shoes the differences between the cabs in a practical way .
    quite an ear opener for me ! I know cabs make a huge difference , but I think this video illustrates it really well.

Great video , to my ears the 4x12 destroyed everything else, but they weigh about 3 tons so no way I'm having one!

Harley Benton now do a vertical 2x12 with v30s for about £200 which is tempting too

Moltisanti said:

Great video , to my ears the 4x12 destroyed everything else, but they weigh about 3 tons so no way I'm having one!

Harley Benton now do a vertical 2x12 with v30s for about £200 which is tempting too
    I actually thought the horizontal closed-back 2x12" sounded the best, although the 4x12" was second.

I was very disappointed with the vertical - I liked it clean, although it was a very 'distinctive' (actually quite Voxy I thought) sound which may make it less versatile... but the dirty sound was awful.

I would like to hear the vertical with V30s, or even Creamback G12M-65s/G12H-75s.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

yeah but the whole point is that the 2x12 vertical is really light, i had an Orange 2x12 closed back and it sounded great but my god it was a pain in the arse to move around

yeah but the whole point is that the 2x12 vertical is really light, i had an Orange 2x12 closed back and it sounded great but my god it was a pain in the arse to move around
    Yes, but if it sounds terrible then it doesn't matter if it's light or not. That's why I would like to hear it with different speakers, to see if it's the Neos that make it like that, or the cabinet.

On the other hand you may like it - some people seem to, comments in the other thread were fairly evenly balanced.

the problem with buying speakers and cabs is you usually only hear them in isolation, and anything on it's own can sound good, it's virtually impossible to properly shop for a cab and speakers without having a room full of speakers and cabs you can swap in and out.
    I guess this comes back to trusting that the amp manufacturer actually did this, so buying the matching cab to a head will usually be the best choice

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

I guess this comes back to trusting that the amp manufacturer actually did this, so buying the matching cab to a head will usually be the best choice
    Or in the case of Marshall and their combos, always being aware that the 'custom' speaker which was chosen by the accountancy department is guaranteed to sound worse in that amp than any standard Celestion model.

:)

Or for that matter, any amp at all that comes with a Celestion Rocket 50 or a Seventy/80...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    The vertical cab was really noticeably worse for me. But that has to be the neos right? All the others were much more similar to me, with my favourite being the open backed 2x12.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    IMO the closed back cabs were best on the dirty stuff, the open backed cabs were best on the clean stuff.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    I'm not sure close micing one speaker gives you the same impression as listening to both (or all 4) speakers, plus reflections from the back of the open-backed cab, etc in the room. Does it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    martinw said:
    I'm not sure close micing one speaker gives you the same impression as listening to both (or all 4) speakers, plus reflections from the back of the open-backed cab, etc in the room. Does it?
    No, but even given that it was quite noticeable how different the three V30 cabs sounded.

It does make me think that what I really didn't like about the vertical cab was the Neo speakers though - the open-back cab with V30s sounded much better.

you're right Martin, i'm more concerned with how a cab sounds in the room, i don;t really care about the mic'd sound - and that is very difficult if not impossible to demonstrate in a video.

i have seen Neo-creamback videos back to back with normal Creambacks and they sound very similar.

The reason i like vertical 2x12s is because i'm tall and I like to have that higher projection of a 4x12 but without the weight and difficulty to move and transport.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    Sorry if this is a silly question but what's the difference between a vertical 2x12 cab and a regular 2x12 cab turned on its side ( or vice versa)?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)

The reason i like vertical 2x12s is because i'm tall and I like to have that higher projection of a 4x12 but without the weight and difficulty to move and transport.
    A vertical 2x12" not only has better height for projection, it actually has better horizontal dispersion than either a horizontal 2x12" or a 4x12", somewhat counterintuitively.

Voxman said:
    Sorry if this is a silly question but what's the difference between a vertical 2x12 cab and a regular 2x12 cab turned on its side ( or vice versa)?
    Nothing, if they're otherwise identical. Some are designed to be though, with more appropriate feet locations, baffle angle, logo position etc :).

edited April 2018
    Voxman said:
    it's a fair point, but usually the vertical ones are slightly wider, and some have an angled baffle like a 4x12 so the top speaker is angled upwards like this

• Ogami-ZOgami-Z Frets: 6
    I've been considering getting one but it is a bit pricey!

Initially Wasn't overly impressed with the sound of the vertical cab but it'd be nice to know if the tone of the amp was adjusted at all to suit each cab, especially in the case of the vertical with neo creambacks. I've actually watched a few demos of the neo CBs & really like what I've heard in comparison to v30s. There's definitely a place for v30s but I usually tend to find them a bit harsh & shrill compared to creambacks & the neos sound pretty close (to my ears) to the real thing.

Another thing to take into account here is the fact that the vertical is OB & a lot of the energy that's hitting the mic on the CB cabs is escaping out the back of the vertical cab. TPS just did a video this week showing this, were the 212 v30 loaded CB had more energy & low end punch to it with a driven tone compared to an OB one. But the OB cab did sound nicer with a clean amp.

If I was getting the vertical I'd definitely start with closing up the back, I know it'll probably not have as much of an impact as an actual CB cab, but I still think it would make a big difference. As well as dialling in a tone that works well with the neo CBs.
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    I thought the 4x12 sounded best, but as with all comparisons like this, I can't help wondering if that was because it was the first one I heard, and so set my expectations of what sounded "right", meaning the others sounded "wrong" in comparison...
    Jeremiah said:
    I thought the 4x12 sounded best, but as with all comparisons like this, I can't help wondering if that was because it was the first one I heard, and so set my expectations of what sounded "right", meaning the others sounded "wrong" in comparison...
    i agree, it's hard to not have that reaction

• matonematone Frets: 211
    Jeremiah said:
    4x12`s always sound best !lol