cannabis rex speaker

What's Hot
midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
ive just picked up a peavey valveking 112 combo that has been fitted with a cannabis rex speaker. The valveking is rated at 50w and so is the speaker. Is that to close to comfort in risk of blowing if i play hard. would i be better off replacing it with an eminence redcoat wizzard that i have. I do like the sound of the cannabis but a bit concerned about gigging it loud?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• question rephrase. Is a 50 watt rated speaker the cannabis rex, safe to use loud in the 50w valveking amp?

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    as long as no sniffer dogs around...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    come to think of it, "cannabis Rex" sounds like the name of a sniffer dog
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    If you do take the C Rex and want rid of it let me know :)  

Been umming and ahhing about one for a bit.. 
  • LuttiS said:
    If you do take the C Rex and want rid of it let me know :)  

Been umming and ahhing about one for a bit.. 
    it does sound rather good in the valveking,  not too shrill and a nice low thump
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Sounds great in the Fender Special Reserve Limited Edition Tweed with 12" Cannabis Rex when I tested one out in the flesh a week or so ago. Gratuitous link for those that can't get enough: (https://www.andertons.co.uk/fender-limited-edition-princeton-in-tweed-w-cannabis-rex-speaker)

The C Rex speaker gave the 65 PRRI gave some authority/girth not heard from the stock 10" speaker. The amp was a standard 65 Princeton Circuit, if that helps.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7914
    Great speaker. Keep it!
  • no doubt it sounds great, dont intend to change if it i can help it. But my question is, as its only rated to 50 watts, is it safe to use in the valveking, which is a 50 watt valve amp?
  • I’d be wary if Peavey rate the amp according to max clean power - I understand Celestion generally take that into account but I don’t know about Eminence 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    I have it in my head (old wives tale?) that one should apply the rule of thumb of utilising a speaker that's rated at 2.5 times the amp's wattage to allow for peaks. So for a 50 watt amp, this would mean a 150 watt speaker. You'd probably get lots of head room, but boy would that rock when you crank it up.

I stand to be corrected though, especially when Fender issued a certain limited edition Princeton (the Black & Blue version from 2-3 years ago) with the 15w rated 12" Celestion Alnico Blue. And as we all know the Princeton amp pushes out about 12-15 watts. Blows my theory into the water and down the Mariana Trench. What gives, eh?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandango said:
    I have it in my head (old wives tale?) that one should apply the rule of thumb of utilising a speaker that's rated at 2.5 times the amp's wattage to allow for peaks. So for a 50 watt amp, this would mean a 150 watt speaker. You'd probably get lots of head room, but boy would that rock when you crank it up.

I stand to be corrected though, especially when Fender issued a certain limited edition Princeton (the Black & Blue version from 2-3 years ago) with the 15w rated 12" Celestion Alnico Blue. And as we all know the Princeton amp pushes out about 12-15 watts. Blows my theory into the water and down the Mariana Trench. What gives, eh?
    I’m sure I’ve seen special runs of hotrod deluxes with C Rex speakers in them too - only 10w of leeway there
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12405
    I had one in a classic 30 was brilliant
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2330
    I've got a 16ohm one I'm not using if anyone wants one btw!