Car insurance

What's Hot
Is expensive. I'm exiting a company car, and because the insurers / fleet people / HR can't give me a letter in the correct format, I have no NCD. Doh. At least I'm 50 soon.
Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
My feedback thread is here.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Try Quotezone,  they are about 300 a year cheaper than other comparison sites. I've got 1 year ncd and a couple of non fault none claim incidents. 
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    speshul91 said:
    Try Quotezone,  they are about 300 a year cheaper than other comparison sites. I've got 1 year ncd and a couple of non fault none claim incidents. 
    Thanks, I haven't tried them yet. Direct Line want to add £300 because the letters are in the wrong format, ouch.
  • supessupes Frets: 183
    Just bought a new car but wanted to hang onto my old car too. After swapping my new claims to the new car, I found that that taking off 10 years of ncb made £10 difference in the premium of my old car!
    Wow! Taking 7 years off is adding 50% to the cost of mine!
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3399
    edited April 2018
    Bike insurance is the same. I want to upgrade my bike and the cheapest quote I have is £21000. Yep, £21k. Tick the box for another years NCD and it drops to £600.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Taking my 1 year off adds about 500 quid.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1749
    PC_Dave said:
    Bike insurance is the same. I want to upgrade my bike and the cheapest quote I have is £21000. Yep, £21k. Tick the box for another years NCD and it drops to £600.

What on earth are you riding to get a £21k quote? 
    gubble said:
    PC_Dave said:

I currently ride a BMW S1000XR, but I want to get the RR.
    PC_Dave said:
    gubble said:
    PC_Dave said:

But the bike is £14k new! Madness. My dog's insurance seems to go up £100 a year as well, they've got us by the doodahs there as he now has a heart condition so we're tied to John Lewis for insurance - £500 this year.
    PC_Dave said:
    gubble said:
    PC_Dave said:

But the bike is £14k new! Madness. My dog's insurance seems to go up £100 a year as well, they've got us by the doodahs there as he now has a heart condition so we're tied to John Lewis for insurance - £500 this year.
    It’s all crazy - I think all insurances are a swindle, especially in your case with no proven NCD.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    PC_Dave said:
    I think all insurances are a swindle
    You bet the insurance company that something bad will happen. If it doesn't you lose your bet. If it does, the insurance company does its damnedest to wriggle out of paying up.

And (legal stuff aside), it's all predicated on fear: "what if ...?" (your washing machine floods the kitchen, someone breaks in, you get ill, your spouse dies etc).
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Some things are more likely than others I guess. Drivers make mistakes, I'm lucky I've only ever had one crash, there have been a few occasions when I thought I was in trouble, mainly on the motorway. My last company car cost £7k to fix after someone in another car dealt it a glancing blow when it was parked. Luckily the driver stopped, although I may as well have claimed on the company for all the benefit it's giving me.
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    speshul91 said:
    Best price £48 more than my existing insurer :s
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31632
    I just had some junk mail from the AA reckoning they can reduce my insurance premium by £160 a year. I only renewed it last week with Swinton, £155 a year fully comp.

Does that mean the AA would give me a fiver to be insured with them? 

It's the only benefit of being 53, my fully comp bike insurance for all three bikes is only £140. 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835

Give Adrian Flux a call on 0800 369 8590. Or get a quote online.

I've been with them for years.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12413
    Vehicle insurance is so expensive because so many people who have accidents pretend they have whiplash to get the compensation they "deserve" the money has to come from somewhere.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4801
    Is expensive. I'm exiting a company car, and because the insurers / fleet people / HR can't give me a letter in the correct format, I have no NCD. Doh. At least I'm 50 soon.
    You have no NCD because it suits the insurers to look at it like that. If you've been driving on someone else's policy (eg., company car insured by company) then you're not accruing an NCD on your own policy. When I shut down my bike training school, I'd been running all the bikes (including my own) as company assets and on the company policy. I had no bike NCD to offer anyone. The best I could do was lean on the goodwill of the broker who had insured the bikes for x years and they got their domestic people to grant me 3 years NCD for a personal policy on the bike that I disposed of from my company by selling to myself. I hadn't had an accident for at least 15 years by then. 

Maybe the people who insured your company car can help - they'll know your lack of accident record is true

Strangely, unlike NCDs, they do want to know about your car accident record when you take out bike insurance and vice-versa.
    I can get 1 year hopefully. The current insurer of my company car provided a letter in the correct format, however quite rightly stated that I have yet to surrender the car. Once I've surrendered it, I can get that letter redone with the date and that should satisfy the new insurers.

God knows about the other 6 years though, you would have thought that HR or the Fleet people, who I have both emailed, could produce the required letter as they must have this happen more than once in a lifetime.
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1211
    Insurance premium tax has doubled from 6% in 2015 to 12% since June 2017. It doesn't get as much press. Obviously less newsworthy than the compensation culture. 
    Link to my trading feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I think the fleet people have come up trumps thank goodness, although I still need to wait to hand the car back before it satisfies the insurers.