Are Boss pedals "old hat"?

What's Hot
RoysterdoysterRoysterdoyster Frets: 617

When I started playing 30 odd yrs ago,Boss were "thee" pedals to have. Having got back into effects recently after a long long absence I see pedal boards overflowing with virtually everything (most of which Id never heard of) except Boss. So are they considered a bit naff now? I have a few and I like them enough,as I dont really know any better,but Im curious. Plus they seem cheap compared to many. Am I missing out on a world of sounds that Boss wont give me?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    There are so many more options than there was 30 years ago, so it looks a lot more diluted

Many pros still rely on Boss pedals (and others for sure).  The TU2/3 can be seen all the time.

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    Some people have nothing better to do than build huge, expensive boards containing all the latest "flavour of the month" pedals. If that's what you want to do, then fine. Otherwise, Boss make great, functional pedals. I'd be happy with a totally Boss pedalboard. That's not to say that there aren't better pedals out there, but I wouldn't say you're missing out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5142
    joeyowen said:
    There are so many more options than there was 30 years ago

This, mostly. I think there's a perception that BOSS pedals are a bit "ordinary" compared to some of the weird and wonderful stuff out there. They're still very much the industry standard when it comes to making reliable, good sounding, sensibly priced stuff.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3842
    The Waza ones are particularly good
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    Some new models are good like the Waza and re-issues. They do look boring and a bit dated though if you compare an all Strymon, Thorpy or EQD board to an all Boss board. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12900
    They're not naff, not at all. 

They do an excellent range in straightforward pedals at sensible prices. What they don't do is the weird/ambient/noisemaking thing that is very popular at the minute. Gnarly fuzzes, "out there" modulations, "what the actual hell is that" gliches, etc. 

If I was a gigging, touring musician who wanted a solid set of sounds in a compact, bombproof form factor then I could quite happily rock an all Boss pedalboard (the boss form factor and switching has never been bettered IMO---the only way to improve them would be with top jacks but I don't think that would work). As is, I'm a guy who likes making weird noises in my study so I (mostly) use other things. 
  • Ah that's a relief. Was thinking Id have to "up my game" in the FX department to the detriment of my bank balance.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Two of the good things about Boss pedals are reliable footswitches and easy battery access.
    Increasingly people use PSUs so the battery access isn't as much of an issue. You also have an increase in the use of true bypass loopers and switching systems ( at an amateur and semi pro level as much as pro) so less use of actual pedal footswitches. 
    But, yes, you still see lots of them. There tends not to be as much love these days for their drives and people get those flavours elsewhere and there's an assumed bias against them as they aren't seen as much but they are industry standard stuff really. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786
    Some people have nothing better to do than build huge, expensive boards containing all the latest "flavour of the month" pedals. If that's what you want to do, then fine.

That feels a little harsh, if somewhat accurate ;)

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    My pedal board is ambient flavoured but I still have 4 boss pedals on it - TU-2 / TE-2 / RV-6 / RC-3 - all very good at what they do and affordable.

I was considering selling the RV-6 having just picked up a CB Talisman but it's so versatile I'm keeping it for recording.

Boss are still a great option. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • At some point I'd like to do this with my Boss collection. 
    https://goo.gl/images/56Cufj
    I know I keep repeating myself on this subject but I've gone mostly Boss including a number of Boss drives and I'm really happy with my set up than I've ever been. The boutique stuff I've owned has been sold and my bank balance is better for it. Also I'm less precious about my stuff now because I know that Boss stuff is built to last.
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    There's something very reassuring about treading on a Boss pedal too. I wish all pedals had that mechanism rather than a metal switch.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Boss pedals are cool and robust .. if you gig regularly and one breaks it's quick and easy to replace it whereas some boutique stuff can be on back order. Here's Steve Vai on Boss pedals ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    Still have 4 on my board, and they’ll not be going anywhere. 

PS-3 - Mode 7 worth the entry fee alone

TU-3 - because why wouldn’t you?

CE-2 - if you want 80s flavoured chorus, can’t be beaten really. I’d like to try an Analogman at some point maybe, but we’re talking £200+ to compete, and there’s every chance I’d still prefer the Boss. 

NS-2 - seems a far more intelligent surpressor than is available anywhere else; doesn’t just gate and chop your signal in a really unnatural way, and has proven of late to be a really good buffer - my board sounds noticeably better with it on. 
  • :) Nice to see that Steve and me have even more in common than just our playing ability!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994

considering the dilution of the market, I think you'd be surprised at how many spaces on boards are held by boss pedals.

Remember, those showcasing their shiney pedal boards on forums are more likely to be unicorn tone chasing hobbyists, which is still only a smaller demographic of the guitar playing community.

Pros use the 20 year old bomb proof pedals they've used for years. connected with them cheap patch cables from amazon.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I am a fan of them, as said before something quite reassuring about the solidity and simplicity, and I really want an RT-20.

I'm sure a Harley Riding, PRS playing Dentist with a £2000 boutique collection of pedals would laugh at me. [/massive_cliche_generalisation]

Fact is I'll never be good enough to play properly and I can have a mess about with different sounds for sensible money.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    All bar three of my pedals are Boss. I'm not generally interested in any other brand. I'll certainly never buy another pedal with a mechanical click switch, or without buffering, or with a non-standard 9V power supply requirement, or which demands an isolated power supply, or knobs where you can knock them on the top of the pedal... that lot eliminates the vast majority of pedals that aren't Boss now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TateFXTateFX Frets: 114
    tFB Trader
    Boss are going strong. The 500 series is amazing and the ES series are offering things that others can't do at a lower price point (parallel loops).
    Formerly Stu_Tate
    Tate FX
    www.TateFX.co.uk
    Instagram 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Almost all the boutique stuff I've tried hasn't lasted long; many of them attempt to put a spin on a standard effect and it wears out its welcome very quickly.

Boss pedals give you the basic effect in the best pedal format yet designed and they they come in a range of exciting colours. It's a design classic and as such will never get old.