Poor man's Fryette Powerstation II

What's Hot
BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
Would totally love to own a Fryette Powerstation but don't think I can justify the ££. Anything come close for £200 to £300?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Seymour Duncan do a power amp in pedal form, it's meant to be very good.
  • Which aspect do you want from it?

If it’s a valve power amp look for used Marshall poweramps. They’re heavy, but they’re often cheap
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    An old solid state power amp HH or something would do the trick
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    AMT loadbox + any cheap SS power amp
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    edited April 2018
    Thanks guys. I'm looking for a load box and re-amping that's transparent. Will use it occasionally for recording too.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    BBBlues said:
    Thanks guys. I'm looking for a load box and re-amping that's transparent. Will use it occasionally for recording too.
    Then you want a Fryette. 
    Thought so. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72329
    Actually if you want *transparent*, then a simple load box and a basic solid state power amp is exactly what you want. In fact, a second hand hi-fi amp would be perfect for the amp part, and they can be very cheap, under £50 will usually get you something quite decent.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I see the Torpedo Two Notes Reload has come down in price a bit. Anyone had any experience with it?
    ICBM said:
    Actually if you want *transparent*, then a simple load box and a basic solid state power amp is exactly what you want. In fact, a second hand hi-fi amp would be perfect for the amp part, and they can be very cheap, under £50 will usually get you something quite decent.
    I want a one box solution.
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    BBBlues said:
    ICBM said:
    How about the Suhr reactive load box:

http://www.peachguitars.com/guitar-amps/guitar-amps/suhr-reactive-load-box.htm

or the Rivera mini rock crusher:

http://www.peachguitars.com/guitar-amps/guitar-amps/suhr-reactive-load-box.htm

Either of those + IR's should do
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9532
    Tim,

Wait and save for a PS mate... they are superb
  • I have a Torpedo Reload that I'm more than happy with...I think @Wazmeister has also had one and sold one and is sticking to the PS recommendation though, so if you have similar tastes and needs to Waz then the Reload may not float your boat :-)
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    edited April 2018
    ICBM said:
    Lol trolling ICBM - never thought I’d see the day..

..he’s 100% right of course (as ever) - the Two Notes is exactly a line level load box (make your own for £20) into a SS power amp.

The Power Station is just that it’s a simple PCB-based clean valve amp

One of the well regarded amp builders I know uses a simple line level out via an active EQ into an old valve Hifi amp - he’s bordering on an unhealthy obsession for tone and he’s happy using that for playing big amps at night in an apartment.

I’m a big fan of the Power Station, but what it gives you us a one box solution rather than the only option
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
    BBBlues said:
    ICBM said:
    Bolt the resistor into the casing of the hi-fi amp...

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    To be fair, if the load box and amp were rack mounted that wouldn't be such an issue for me. 
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    A DIY Resistive Dummy Load can be had very cheaply and you could probably fit it in a pedal enclosure that you can velcro to the back of your cheap HiFi Amp, it's almost a one box solution, although it's a bit of a lumpy box.
    If you want a rackmount unit, you could do it fairly cheaply by buying something like a Marshall Valvestate power amp, disabling and removing one of the power amp channels, using its heatsink to mount the dummy load resistor, and the other channel as the re-amp. It will already have enough connections on the back to do everything you need.

You could actually buy a *dead* Valvestate power amp for pennies, if you can find one - it's a near certainty that only one channel will be down.