Origin Effects Revival drive ..

What's Hot

Comments

• Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    I just watched the TPS episode and I know what he means (was Mick that said it) and yes, you can set the RD to do that, but you don’t have to. It can be very touch sensitive and dynamic if you want, just depends how you set the controls.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392
    Still on a learning curve...but so happy with mine. A def. keeper pedal on my board.
    On hols and away from guitars - amp will be back on this weekend!
    Ta Jon 
    .....STUNNING....(worth the tweaking!)
    I think that the TPS guys took 40mins before they started to get close to dialling it in confirms my comments. It’s very rewarding if you’re willing to work at it. It’s definitely like marmite though. I’m loving mine (and marmite).
    Where are you putting it in your chain?
    Considering trying it last but currently have mine pre delay and mod pedals.
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    Rowby1 said:
    I think that the TPS guys took 40mins before they started to get close to dialling it in
    What happens on a gig then? “Hang on lads just give me 40 mins to dial in”.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    BBBlues said:
    Rowby1 said:
    I think that the TPS guys took 40mins before they started to get close to dialling it in
    What happens on a gig then? “Hang on lads just give me 40 mins to dial in”.
    Of course not.

Typically, when you get a new amp (because this is effectively an amp in a box) or even a pedal, you get used to it at home, and in your rehearsal environment before taking it out to a gig.

This is no different. You would learn to use it at home, then take it out to a gig.

R.
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    edited August 2018
    Two people who make a living off pedals take 40 mins to dial it in. It’d probably take me 40 days.

If you’re a tweeker I’d imagine this is heaven, so probably the dream. For me however from a practical point of view it just doesn’t work. Horses for courses and all that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Too much tweekability for my liking. I'd never get around to actually making any music lol 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3842
    ^ This. It breaks my three knob rule. Four max, but not as ideal as three. :0)
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I find this pedal curious.

Def not for me as I love to find those pedals (and pedal makers) that just have it dialled in that seem to suit my rig / ear. That’s what makes a great pedal IMO. One of my favs for this reason is the Mad Professor Simble pre-driver which has no knobs at all!

Second for all its tweakability, all the demos I’ve heard have a strange papery sound to it. Kind of ultimate tweakability within its own sound.

I’d love to try one in person though and see what could be had from it.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    BBBlues said:
    Two people who make a living off pedals take 40 mins to dial it in. It’d probably take me 40 days.

If you’re a tweeker I’d imagine this is heaven, so probably the dream. For me however from a practical point of view it just doesn’t work. Horses for courses and all that. 
    +1 

for the same reason I’ve never bought a Strymon Big Sky or Timeline or a Mesa Boogie.

It looks so conplex and difficult that I know I’d get bored before I started. 
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    I don't mind the tweakability, but not if it's to spend 40 minutes just getting a decent sound.

I have pedals like the BigSky, but they sound great immediately, then tweak to taste.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    edited August 2018
    Its not that hard to tweak this...no menu diving just a few switch option but worth it.
  • breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    Agreed. It’s not difficult to dial in !
    The suggested settings in the menu make for great starting points. 

Besides, as you become more familiar with it,
    the options to adjust the tone will only be a help,not a hindrance 
    JonHosker said:
    Where are you putting it in your chain?
    Considering trying it last but currently have mine pre delay and mod pedals.
    Yes, same here. Experimenting with an Archer in front of it but settled on delay verb and trem after at the mo. 
    @dindude not sure what you’re hearing regarding the “papery sound”. Have you listened to my Solo Of The Month thing from last month? Can you detect the same thing there? Also the Shawn Tubbs demo? 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Rowby1 said:
    @dindude not sure what you’re hearing regarding the “papery sound”. Have you listened to my Solo Of The Month thing from last month? Can you detect the same thing there? Also the Shawn Tubbs demo? 
    Hi mate, no, I’ll give them both a listen later and report back. Cheers
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    I've had mine over a month now, so hopefully my comments will be free of any 'honeymoon period' over-enthusiasm...

This is clearly not a plug-and-play pedal. You have to understand (1) what you're playing into, (2) what sound you're shooting for, (3) what do do if the results don't match your expectations. Also it's not much like a conventional overdrive pedal, more of (yes I'm going to say it) - an amp in a box!

(1) I bought this pedal principally for home use as a recording front-end, to use with speaker simulation, so the Re-amp EQ is normally set to PWR AMP. I have some analog DI / speaker sim pedals, but none of them did the RD justice, so I bought a used Two Notes Torpedo C.A.B. (which itself takes a little bit of familiarisation). I have also tried it into my studio amp, a Swart STR, on EQ1.

(2) It pays to think about the topology of the amp you're trying to emulate - rectifier, pre-amp, bright cap (if any), amount of negative feedback or presence, whether ghosting will be present. The examples in the manual are a good place to start.

(3) It is easy to let the top end run away, which can result in a 'spitty' sound as high-end transients get distorted. The BRI-CAP CUT and HI SHELF mini-pots come into their own here.

As should be obvious by now from all the YT vids, this pedal is capable of some exceptionally good sounds. I like the idea of making your own settings to create the amp sound you want, rather than just calling up a model or profile. I can now create a usable sound quite quickly, and then just enjoy playing it, which is completely different from my experience with earlier generations of digital modeller. I know that current plug-ins can be very good, but I prefer to get a good sound first, then record it, and of course there is no latency to deal with in the RD.

The RD may seem expensive, but you can't compare it with a regular drive pedal, not even a quality unit costing the thick end of £200. This is a whole load of amps in a box, of which you can pick two at any given time, plus it screams quality. To me it's well worth the asking price.