What are we doing..,,

What's Hot
hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
just seen a blues guitarist from Australia playing at the chapel arts in bath. Totally awesome. So, after the show we had a chat with him. Plus an opportunity to look at his kit. Literally it was a fender twin and a crybaby. But he sounded awesome but with hardly any fx. Makes you wonder why we chase this fx pedal madness. It's definitely in the hands but for us mere mortals pedals are bloody handy lol
Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9715
    Its very difficult to do polyphonic octaves or delays with just your fingers :)

But yes, you're quite right, real skill will shine through without any of that
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822

Well yes of course there is the exception to the rule. But I'm sure I heard delay in his set but there wasn't. Absolute trickery LOL
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    depends on the kind of music you play...some types will require pedals no matter how good you are.

but also...because pedals are fun...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2018
    samzadgan said:
    depends on the kind of music you play...some types will require pedals no matter how good you are.

but also...because pedals are fun...
    They are indeed, good point. Just picked up a new pedal myself yesterday and it sounds great
  • just seen a blues guitarist from Australia playing at the chapel arts in bath. Totally awesome. So, after the show we had a chat with him. Plus an opportunity to look at his kit. Literally it was a fender twin and a crybaby. But he sounded awesome but with hardly any fx. Makes you wonder why we chase this fx pedal madness. It's definitely in the hands but for us mere mortals pedals are bloody handy lol
    Well this is good to read. Because of money reasons, I’m selling a loads of pedals, which will leave me with a Polytune, Timeline, CB Brothers and either Fairfield compressor or Dr Scientist Cleanness. But I’ve been playing just straight into my Fender amp more, and the lack of twiddling with loads of pedals and trying out different FX combinations has been liberating. It’s also exposed my playing: layered with loads of FX my technique has got sloppy. I’m treating this as a blessing in disguise. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Honestly if you are playing blues, then I rely have no idea why people have a pedal obsession. But thankfully there is a lot more to music than just blues. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322

Well yes of course there is the exception to the rule. But I'm sure I heard delay in his set but there wasn't. Absolute trickery LOL
    Are you sure there wasn't any added at the desk?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786
    Honestly if you are playing blues, then I rely have no idea why people have a pedal obsession. But thankfully there is a lot more to music than just blues. 

Exactly, if I was playing the sort of music where one guitar and one amp would be the solution, that's what I'd use.

As I'm mucking about making strange and sometimes silly noises I like acquiring pedals that make strange and sometimes silly noises.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    other factors to his sound:

The acoustics and ambience of the room
    The Harmonic Quotient between him and the other instruments
    His Dick size
    How much you'd drunk...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    other factors to his sound:

The acoustics and ambience of the room
    The Harmonic Quotient between him and the other instruments
    His Dick size
    How much you'd drunk...

Not much ;)
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    ICBM said:

Not sure how I remember this but back 35 years ago when Jake E Lee was playing with Ozzy he was known for faking delay with his playing technique, he hated delay pedals.
    clarkefan said:
    ICBM said:

Not sure how I remember this but back 35 years ago when Jake E Lee was playing with Ozzy he was known for faking delay with his playing technique, he hated delay pedals.
    Funnily enough that's what this guitarist said he was doing to creatr the delay effect. Sounded great :)