If you don't use a pick, how did that come about?

HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 3711
Fine time I  picked up a guitar was an old Spanish guitar that my Dad had bought on a whim. Didn't even know that picks even existed, but managed to pick out a few Shadows numbers. Once I realised that most players used picks, I started using one and got on fine with single notes. However I could never get the same finesse with strumming that I could with my fingers. For ages I used a pick for licks etc, but palmed it for strumming. In the end I ditched the pick altogether and really, I should have got rid of it much earlier than I actually did.
It might look like I'm listening to you, but in my head I'm playing my guitar.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 2512
    I'm with you I have never used one.
    I tried but it doesn't feel natural, I can play any style including metal  and people always give me a puzzled look when  using my fingers.

Initially I started out using picks but used to lose them, however the main reason was when I started my first electric was an encore strat, as a rank amature I only ever used the bridge pickup and didn't even consider tone controls or other pickups  and it sounded so shrill, I found using my fingers make it sound abetter, I started to learn properly but stuck with fingers, plus I saw them as a ball ache, as most people struggle to play without one and Im to forgetful to always have a pick on me. 
    www.deadhappyband.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RolandRoland Frets: 1600
    To my ears guitar sounded better when played with fingers, so that’s how I learned. It was about eight years ago, when I joined a rock covers band, that I found I needed a pick to play a lot of the songs. Downstrokes can wear your nails quite quickly.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 867
    My ahem electric guitar  technique is a blend of playing bass, classical guitar and losing plectrums.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 591

If you don't use a pick, how did that come about?

coz I dropped my plectrum. Or I'm playing slide.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 263
    I took up folk guitar and learned to use a thumbpick instead, now I just do the same on electric.
  • ColsCols Frets: 173
    Jeff Beck ditched the plectrum in the 70s when he was frequently drunk on stage and kept dropping it.
  • tralfamadantralfamadan Frets: 9
    edited April 19
    After 6 years of playing with picks I learnt the lead parts to Brown Eyed Girl using my fingers and then steadily switched to exclusively fingerstyle. 

Fast forward 10 years, now i'm trying to play bluegrass and finger-style has gone straight out the window!
  • Ive always used a pick but a lot of guitarists I've met who don't use one. Usaslly its because it feels easier when starting out. Obviously it takes a bit of time to get used to holding a pick. I personally though believe every guitarist should give playing with a pick 1-2 months before making a decision :)