New brew in my local

What's Hot
Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
edited April 2018 in Off Topic
Pump #3 is now occupied by a brew from what was once called "The Wolf Brewery". The badge on the front says "Lupus Lupus".
FFS! It's Lupus Lupi! Any fule kno that.

EDITED: The pages I've looked up seem to quote the nominative and genitive cases, not the nominative and accusative. So I changed lupum to lupi.
"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    edited April 2018
    Lupus Lupum?  You sure, the Wolf is Canis Lupus Lupus, so I'd say they had it right.

Happy to be corrected, my latin is shite :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Bezzer said:
    Lupus Lupum?  You sure, the Wolf is Canis Lupus Lupus, so I'd say they had it right.

Are you quoting the scientific (zoological) classification? I was just giving the usual parts of the noun declension.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    I scrape-passed it, but I'm pretty sure about that one.. How come there's more on my quote of you than on your original comment?
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Bezzer said:

Mine is shite too -- I've just remembered that one of my school's Latin masters used to smoke his pipe in the classroom -- that seems inconceivable now!
    Anyways, a couple of months ago I was listening to a pair of academics talking about creating a new name for a medical thingy and I was kind of surprised to hear myself blurting out from the audience "NO!"  I got the raised eyebrows and so added a bit sheepishly "er, that's half-Greek and half-Latin and, you know... just struck me as awkward... "  [Not as awkward as I felt!]
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Incorrect. It's a play on the Latin name for the hop plant.  Humulus Lupulus. 

Snip

The family name Humulus, coined in the middle ages, is said to derive from the Slavic word chmele (hops) or from the old Germanic Humel or Humela (fruit-bearing). The speculation that the name comes from the Latin humus (earth) is improbable. The species name lupulus is the diminutive of lupus (wolf), which refers to the mistaken idea that the hop bine (creeper) strangles plants. The origin of the English name hop is unsure, but maybe traces through the Norwegian hupp, which means «tassle» or «tuft», or comes from the Anglo-Saxon hoppan (to climb).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    I scrape-passed it, but I'm pretty sure about that one.. How come there's more on my quote of you than on your original comment?
    Probably I was editing, thought just the first sentence made me sound like a smug prick when really it wasn't intended as such :)
    lupus, lupe, lupum, lupi, lupo, lupo
    lupi, lupi, lupos, luporum, lupis, lupis
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4514
    Grunfeld said:

I've just remembered that one of my school's Latin masters used to smoke his pipe in the classroom -- that seems inconceivable now!

I had a Latin teacher who did that too!  Also had another (at the same school) who got the whole class together to watch Life of Brian (we'd have been only 12 or 13 at the time).  For this bit, obviously:

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Jonathangus lol squared for that :) "The people called the Romans, they go, the house?" =)
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    lupus, lupe, lupum, lupi, lupo, lupo
    lupi, lupi, lupos, luporum, lupis, lupis

Fetch the strait-jacket, he's finally cracked!

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4514
    "But this is motion towards, isn't it, boy?"

(Also well played on the Molesworth reference, @Phil_aka_Pip ) :)
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Don't know whether you're right or not about the Latin, but I gave you a wis (or whizz?)  for the Molesworth reference.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited April 2018
    I bet it still tastes like rattus norvegicus though...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

(Also well played on the Molesworth reference, @Phil_aka_Pip ) :)
    Re-reading these again as it happens.  Also got a 2nd hand copy of "Molesworth Rites Again" by Simon Brett which looks promising.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    My Latin Master and the Geography and History masters all used to smoke their pipes in class so did the House Tutors.
    One was called Dr Wallace - Hadrill who smoked a large Sherlock Holmes pipe ,a Calabash and always wore a deerstalker around the school .........probably a frustrated detective 
    Fast Forward 50 years and it seems inconceivable
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    Er, you're all missing the point.

What does it taste like?

ESBlonde said:
    Er, you're all missing the point.

What does it taste like?

It's a rather pale beer, with a hoppy flavour, and i quite liked it. Unfortunately when I went to The Office Down the Road today, it wasn't clearing properly.
    Phil_aka_Pip said;
    Unfortunately when I went to The Office Down the Road today, it wasn't clearing properly.
    Don't drink with your eyes.
    hywelg said:
    Phil_aka_Pip said;
    Unfortunately when I went to The Office Down the Road today, it wasn't clearing properly.
    Don't drink with your eyes.
    Neither was the Belhaven. However the Lupus cleared properly last night so we decided there had to be something wrong. The Belhaven tasted better than it looked but not IMO as good as it could have. My second pint was IPA. Not the best tasting of beers but at least it shone out of the glass at you.
    I'd rather drink a good tasting beer that was cloudy than Greene King IPA anyday. Oh and GK IPA is nothing of the sort. Utter piss. Find yourself something Oakham. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom