Study finds drinking excess alcohol can take years off your life

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28198
    And a study next month will say it benefits you in some way. 

Red wine in moderate amounts is beneficial. Drinking red wine increases your chance of a heart attack by x%
    Milk is good for you. Milk is bad for you.
    Bread cures bumache. Bread gives you spots.

These studies just end up being contradicted most of the time.

The problem is that the media distills a complex set of results into a couple of snappy soundbites. It's possible for all of these to be true if you don't go full reductionist on the actual conclusions. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    Sporky said:

Red wine in moderate amounts is beneficial. Drinking red wine increases your chance of a heart attack by x%

The problem is that the media distills a complex set of results into a couple of snappy soundbites. It's possible for all of these to be true if you don't go full reductionist on the actual conclusions. 
    Sorry! Your position is far too complex. Can you rephrase into a snappy soundbite?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4921
    Note the use of "can" and "could" in the linked thread, and its conclusion.

"The key message of this research is that, if you already drink alcohol, drinking less may help you live longer and lower your risk of several cardiovascular conditions."

A while back we were told that the Mediterranean diet, including a glass of wine a day, is why they have a healthier lifetyle.

Tomorrow we'll be told that chips are good for you, or something else.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:

Sorry! Your position is far too complex. Can you rephrase into a snappy soundbite?
    Newspapers are deliberately confusing, study finds. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    Breaking news: all humans will die.

A life of boring abstinence vs a slightly shorter life having tasted the joy of all the different foods, beers and wine that the world can offer?

Could fall under a bus tomorrow, I'd be happier passing over slightly sloshed than sober. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4921

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    viz said:
    If smoking’s so bad for you how come it cures salmon?
    world class, mate :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794

A life of boring abstinence vs a slightly shorter life having tasted the joy of all the different foods, beers and wine that the world can offer?

If you don't drink, smoke, eat meat or take drugs you won't live any longer. It will just seem like it.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • prowla said:

Holy shit I want those green and black stripey trousers!* And that Strat's not bad either!

*I am not currently drunk
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    I love beer.
    But I don't love being fat so I've stopped drinking beer.
    I love abstinence too.  It's really nice to see it from both sides I think.
    The thing I don't like about beer is how useful I find it:  if there's stuff in my life which is a bit rubbish, (and who hasn't got that stuff), then beer cheers me up and makes me forget about it for a while.  And the problem is that I find that massively negatively reinforcing:  I'll have lots of beer; because it works.  Kind of. 
    The price is that it really piles on the weight, and as it happens I don't think it's so great to be using alcohol to dampen emotions. 
    So I'm sober mode at the moment and it feels good, and it's pretty obviously more healthy all around, and the weight is reducing nicely.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    I used tp have a bit of a problem with my attitude to beer, then I realised I was thinking about it wrong. Beer isn't a crutch, it's an energy drink, filled with protein, complex carbs and all that good stuff. Basically it's a sports drink, and they have to be good, right?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    VimFuego said:
    I used tp have a bit of a problem with my attitude to beer, then I realised I was thinking about it wrong. Beer isn't a crutch, it's an energy drink, filled with protein, complex carbs and all that good stuff. Basically it's a sports drink, and they have to be good, right?
    Exactly !!! :)

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    VimFuego said:
    My ex-neighbour was told to drink a pint of beer a day by his doctor. My dad has been told a pint of ale is good for you by his GP. Packed with vitamins and nutrients.

On the other hand abstain, get lots of exercise and live to be 100 suffering from Alzheimer's and wearing a big nappy whilst the staff in the cheap state-owned care home stub their cigarettes out on you and pinch your belongings.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    Fretwired said:
    VimFuego said:
    My ex-neighbour was told to drink a pint of beer a day by his doctor. My dad has been told a pint of ale is good for you by his GP. Packed with vitamins and nutrients.

On the other hand abstain, get lots of exercise and live to be 100 suffering from Alzheimer's and wearing a big nappy whilst the staff in the cheap state-owned care home stub their cigarettes out on you and pinch your belongings.

This argument doesn't stack up.

If you drink a lot, eat shit and take no exercise doesn't mean you will live to 70 in perfect health then go out like a light it means you will probably start losing your mental and physical faculties in your 60's and face an old age with dementia, diabetes, blindness, amputated limbs, etc. 
    Bad living generally kills you slowly.

The main thing healthy living does for you is extend quality of life into old age not add additional years to your life.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Also, buses are not the prolific killers that some people think them to be. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Fretwired said:
    VimFuego said:

This argument doesn't stack up.

If you drink a lot, eat shit and take no exercise doesn't mean you will live to 70 in perfect health then go out like a light it means you will probably start losing your mental and physical faculties in your 60's and face an old age with dementia, diabetes, blindness, amputated limbs, etc. 
    Bad living generally kills you slowly.

The main thing healthy living does for you is extend quality of life into old age not add additional years to your life.
    Sarcasm is really lost on this forum.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Chris777Chris777 Frets: 58
    I self medicate with falling over water, that's me bolloxed then!
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    The early birds among you may have spotted that the original headline on this BBC story said "One drink a day can shorten your life" with the pertinent line in the story being "They found people who drank the equivalent of about five to 10 drinks a week could shorten their lives by up to six months."

After a few hours the headline was changed to what it is now and the pertinent line was pushed further down the story.  They also seem to have removed the link to the research article.

Another example of how the BBC fails to properly edit its stories these days before publishing them.

Like the proverbial correlation between ice cream sales and drownings, I bet the study owners failed to look at other lifestyle factors. But probably now want the funding for that... :)
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    edited April 2018
    viz said:
    If smoking’s so bad for you how come it cures salmon?
    world class, mate
    Awesome isn’t it - though I have to credit viz for it, not me, unfortunately!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    John Martyn - who certainly ‘liked a drink’ - said after having a lower leg amputated that he was ‘here for a good time - not a long time’. 

How right he was. Dead at 60....