Tech and the rise of communism in the UK

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 10684
    Chalky said:
    There are two ways to say this:

There is a housing shortage, and the solution is to build more houses. 

That sounds simple. But it is far more accurate to say:

There are severe housing shortages in places where house buyers/renters WANT to live, and the solution is to build more houses where house owners and the environmentally-conscious DON'T WANT them to be built.

This second description conveys the complexity of the problem and solution.

This second description is also very simplistic and says nothing about land hording and poor use of land in general eg. the ludicrous situation in central Bristol around Bristol Temple Meads where there is little housing going up, around 60% vacancy in office blocks in that area whilst office blocks keep on going up, and the only new accommodation going up are student builds. Building more house on green belt land and areas that need to be protected because building houses on them is environmentally problematic is not the only answer. 
    I make Jeremy Paxman look like Fingermouse. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 5096
    Chalky said:

There are severe housing shortages in places where house buyers/renters WANT to live, and the solution is to build more houses where house owners and the environmentally-conscious DON'T WANT them to be built.

This second description is also very simplistic and says nothing about land hording and poor use of land in general eg. the ludicrous situation in central Bristol around Bristol Temple Meads where there is little housing going up, around 60% vacancy in office blocks in that area whilst office blocks keep on going up, and the only new accommodation going up are student builds. Building more house on green belt land and areas that need to be protected because building houses on them is environmentally problematic is not the only answer. 
    You see every challenge in the world as "Someone, somewhere, is doing something wrong" (to misquote Mencken), apparently a modern form of Puritanism.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Chalky said:
    You see every challenge in the world as "Someone, somewhere, is doing something wrong" (to misquote Mencken), apparently a modern form of Puritanism.

Coming from a man of your standing, I am honoured. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 5096
    Chalky said:

Coming from a man of your standing, I am honoured. 

Don't be, I was seated when I wrote it. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 1470
    no surprises there then
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 15348
    edited April 27
    Chalky said:

Want to build in a city? Build an office block with a crafty design (more in a moment). Can't let the building? Repurpose as flats (you design it in from the start) and save millions in tax. Two office blocks build locally now repurposed as luxury flats. Happening in London. It's a neat trick to get around planning rules and save money on tax.
    My pump-action drivel gun is smoking hot today!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 1317

Rates on business property raises almost exactly the same as coucil tax (both around 5% of Govt spending).

Given that far more land is residential, ie busness rates are proportionally higher, there is a massive tax incentive for the government to get more commercial property built.
    Chalky said:
    Don't be, I was seated when I wrote it. :)
    Sounds like a five-ply moment. 
    Fretwired said:
    Want to build in a city? Build an office block with a crafty design (more in a moment). Can't let the building? Repurpose as flats (you design it in from the start) and save millions in tax. Two office blocks build locally now repurposed as luxury flats. Happening in London. It's a neat trick to get around planning rules and save money on tax.
    I know, there's such a block located five minutes from my relatively new locale here in sunny Sutton. As you say, multi-purpose depending on need. Sadly these ideas aren't as widespread outside of London. 
    jpfamps said:

Given that far more land is residential, ie busness rates are proportionally higher, there is a massive tax incentive for the government to get more commercial property built.
    Which for the region of Bristol I'm talking about means more commercial property being built in a area that already has a lot of high quality commercial property that is empty.  
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8359
    jpfamps said:

Every time there is a new technology a load of economists have predicted it would destroy jobs.

So far they have been wrong.

Economic predictions being wrong, imagine that!

But of course "it's different this time", a phrase that was used liberally before the banking meltdown......

Much Like the agricultural and industrial revolution yes.  What life.  What you make it in a caravan pikie.

It's the Playbus. We're not in control of ourselves. You're only as dumb as you're trained