Dating a Stripped Telecaster Body

What's Hot
peteripeteri Frets: 1283

Hi

I've seen a stripped Tele (mid-60's) I'm interested in.

Question - any tips on making sure it's not a partscaster? The neck stamp and heel plate are obvious, but since the body is stripped and it's had a re-wire, any vague certainty that it's nothing more than a body stuck on an old neck with some old pots?

Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    edited April 2018 tFB Trader
    Do you ever wonder what happened to all those Teles that were routed for humbuckers or Kahler trems in the 1980s? ;)

Of course the body may be original but the finish is the best way to authenticate it and without that it's very difficult.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14237
    tFB Trader
    any markings at all in the neck pocket cavity - and hopefully it should have the shadow from the 'stick' from the original factory spray procedure - Fender bolted a small wooden plate to 2 of the neck screw hole, for mounting/holding the guitar during the spray procedure - removed when finished and it left an oblong 'stamp/shadow'

'Nail' holes - they have moved over the years - neck pocket, bridge pick up cavity, control plate cavity and just above the neck pick-up cavity/near the neck pocket are common areas - depending on the age will depend were these are
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    Did they have nail holes from where the body was supported face down for painting, like some old Strats?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    Any pics? Sometimes the exact shaping of the body and routing is a giveaway of a repro body, but it's not something that "describes" very well, you have to see it.

I would be wary about using nail holes and pin router holes etc as 'proof', since knowledgable fakers know all about them and they're not difficult to duplicate.

Also check that the central wiring channel is right, a friend of mine bought a "62" Tele from a certain vintage dealer once, and on closer inspection the channel is not routed quite right, meaning that at best it's a modded late-'69 or later Fender body.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Pics for sure! 
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

Problem is it's on a dealers website.

Ho-hum, hopefully someone doesn't 'nick it' from me:

Will extract some pictures and post tonight - thanks

• Took a quick glimpse of this headline and came here for dating advice on strippers. I was a little disappointed ...
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    peteri said:

I think the first thing you need to ask yourself is why (and quite rightly so I might add) are you questioning the dealers description?

If you don’t believe he knows what he’s talking about then perhaps that’s the first red flag to leave it where it is?
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    miserneil said:
    peteri said:

I think the first thing you need to ask yourself is why (and quite rightly so I might add) are you questioning the dealers description?

If you don’t believe he knows what he’s talking about then perhaps that’s the first red flag to leave it where it is?

Not a case of knowing what he's talking about, I'm sure he does - doesn't mean I'm afraid that matches the advert ;)

More wanting to make sure for myself!

tFB Trader
    peteri said:
    miserneil said:
    peteri said:

Not a case of knowing what he's talking about, I'm sure he does - doesn't mean I'm afraid that matches the advert ;)

More wanting to make sure for myself!

Good man! As I say time and time again (and as you know) arm yourself with every piece of info you can, don't go in blind.
    (formerly miserneil)
  • bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2861
    edited April 2018
    Neck is 67 or earlier and shape stacks up, as dues the logo.

Bridge and saddles are correct. 

Bridge pup looks right. 

Body is dubious, in my mind - 69 to 72.
    Has the correct neck body notch for 72 and earlier. 
    Could be wrong but string ferrelles are not flat with the body, which would suggest either changed or as above. 
    Could be wrong :-) 
    tFB Trader
    For what it's worth, it looks 'ok' at first glance. You DEFINITELY need a neck pocket shot and cavities too though.
    (formerly miserneil)
    tFB Trader
    Neck is 67 or earlier and shape stacks up, as dues the logo.

Bridge and saddles are correct. 

Bridge pup looks right. 

Body is dubious, in my mind - 69 to 72.
    Has the correct neck body notch for 72 and earlier. 
    Could be wrong but string ferrelles are not flat with the body, which would suggest either changed or as above. 
    Could be wrong :-) 
    around 68-72/3 the wiring slot/routing from the neck pick up was changed for a 'tunnel' - as such you see no routing under the scratchplate and an additional hole in the neck pocket on the treble side, at an angle which went through to the control cavity - hope that makes sense

agree about string ferrules not looking flat - maybe just the angle of the pic or maybe they have been changed

agree with @miserneil - need a neck pocket pic and a pic under the scratchplate for starters

Thanks chaps - will try and get a picture of under the scratchplate, I think it's slightly odd that's not included

And I think one ferrule is definitely changed - any idea why that would be necessary?

tFB Trader
    peteri said:

Thanks chaps - will try and get a picture of under the scratchplate, I think it's slightly odd that's not included

And I think one ferrule is definitely changed - any idea why that would be necessary?

easily drop out sometimes - often you might not notice as such when changing strings - then you need a replacement - on paper they all look the same, but they are not - Looking again it looks as though 1 might be flat and 5 raised (hence changed)
    edited April 2018 tFB Trader
    I know it's not really a lot to go on with Fenders from this period but if it's meant to be a '66 guitar, the serial on the neck plate dates it to an L Series '64....that neck plate must have been RIGHT at the bottom of the parts bin...

Pot dates also required IMO.
    (formerly miserneil)
    tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    I know it's not really a lot to go on with Fenders from this period but if it's meant to be a '66 guitar, the serial on the neck plate dates it to an L Series '64....that neck plate must have been RIGHT at the bottom of the parts bin...

agree - and to be honest the dealer should be providing this info as a matter of course - granted pots might have been changed but he needs to know - granted solder blobs sometimes means you can't read the pot date info but again in selling this guitar the dealer should provide such info as a matter of policy
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    miserneil said:

Yes, the serial number is suspiciously low for a '66 - I would actually say unbelievably so, even given the variation in date/number correlation.

Pics of under the guard, the control cavity and the pot codes definitely required.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    Took a quick glimpse of this headline and came here for dating advice on strippers. I was a little disappointed ...
    Me too!  :/

In my own personal experience, strippers are way more fun that telecasters.............