Who uses a true bypass looper?

What's Hot
LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3888
I'm just about to take the plunge - probably a Bright Onion. My instinct is to go for one loop per pedal, but that means a big old unit for my 12 pedals. What do I need to consider if I opt for two pedals per loop, for example? Any experience or advice?

I'm gonna go for a tuner mute and a built in buffer. A friend suggested that a kill switch is good too, so that you can switch multiple loops on/off at the same time. I wouldn't have thought of that, hence this post to gather any other useful insight! Thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7788
    I have a dual looper, one has 2x delays in the chain and the other has 3x mods. I will probably get a 4 or 6 soon as I stack at least two pedals for some of my drive sounds. There is a quartermaster 10 in the classifieds that may work well for you. 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3888
    Thanks @Winny_Pooh . Yeh, I saw that quartermaster, but it's REALLY long! 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5402
    I've gone the cheapo route with a JoYo PXLpro 8. Single pedals apart from one loop that has two delays.

I find that I still do a bit of tap-dancing because sometimes I don't want to risk banking up/down so enable more loops in the patch then selectively switch pedals. It's way better than without, though, and the amp triggers have replaced the amp footswitch, which is nice. Only issue with multiple pedals in one loop is to remember to toe then back to your preferred default if you enable /disable on the fly.

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5402
    Oh, also I've put the volume and boosts outside the loops. 
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7186
    I use the Morningstar ML5. Midi controlled, 5 loops. Brilliant thing; wish I’d done it sooner. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3313
    edited April 2018
    I had a QMX (I can't even remember if it was a 4 or 6). Anyway, I couldn't be arsed to plumb it all in, but a nice unit, all the same. I can see the Flip Flop function being useful.

I now how the mini Keeley Looper which just operates between 2 pedals and that's enough for what I needed.
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    +1 for the Gigrig QMX (6 in my case) I’ve jst upgraded and bloody love it. Originally did it purely for the ease of having a couple of pedals in each loop. The flip flop function is handy but I’ll rarely use it. 

Also, I hate to admit it but there is a very noticeable in the sound. 
    How very rock and roll
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4190
    Boss ES8, when the board is finished ( are they ever really finished ) 
  • bwetsbwets Frets: 162
    What are you trying to achieve with it?
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Boss ES5 me and personally never looked back :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    Any tips re. using more than one pedal in each loop / kill switch etc., guys?
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    I use a G2 and I love how simple it is to use. Very easy to tweak on the fly. The midi side is awkward but I don't have any midi pedals now so no big deal. The pre and post buffers on each loop are really useful.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2290
    I used to use a couple of GigRig Loopy 2's on my big board when I had more pedals with 'unsatisfactory' bypass. I'm not using them at present as I have one buffered pedal (Cali76 Compact) at the front of my board, and another (Boss DM-3) near the end. I don't feel the need for multiple simultaneous switching, so no G2 or ES5 for me!
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Recently got a bright onion mini looper to keep a noisier boss pedal out of the chain til needed. 

The bright onion pedal is decent, though the jacks are like clamps! 
    Not entirely silent switching on mine, at higher volumes and with gain there is a little pop, but whether thats mechanical noise rather than electrical pop I dunno. 
    Arrived within the 7 days they promised. 

For £35 I’m glad I got it. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    I've got a buzz electronics 8 way looper with programmable midi I'm not using if you're interested ..  for multiple modulation units as an example i have ran in same loop n switched in out as appropriate ... 

https://buzzelectronics.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=80_81&product_id=113 ; - this 
  • I have a dual loop looper. I run my buffer in the  first loop, and all my other pedals in the second. That way I can just go straight through the loop without switching on all my pedals, or a buffer only option. 

I do a lot of practice, and that’s all done clean, so having the pedals on is a waste. 

Thay said, I usually have my Hudson Broadcast on all the time. 
    JMP220478 said:
    I've got a buzz electronics 8 way looper with programmable midi I'm not using if you're interested ..  for multiple modulation units as an example i have ran in same loop n switched in out as appropriate ... 

https://buzzelectronics.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=80_81&product_id=113 ; - this 
    Thanks, @JMP220478 , but I don't need the midi capability. I'm a simple soul!
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    @Lebarque - no problems - though be aware the midi feature is an add on - its a programmable 8 channel true bypass looper primarily - midi useful for changing patches on any of midi devices you have or may have in future .. 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader
    Kebabkid said:
    I had a QMX (I can't even remember if it was a 4 or 6). Anyway, I couldn't be arsed to plumb it all in, but a nice unit, all the same. I can see the Flip Flop function being useful.

I now how the mini Keeley Looper which just operates between 2 pedals and that's enough for what I needed.
    It was a QMX6, and it's on my pedalboard now - it's very very nice

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• peachespeaches Frets: 45
    edited May 2018
    Have to say imo definitely worth considering stretching to an ES5/ES8 - the ability to change pedal order on the fly means you need way less on your board in the first place.