Why is there a big difference in orange 2x12 prices?

ricorico Frets: 1220
Looking at Orange 2x12 cabs and I’m confused about the pricing. Why is the closed back cab so much more than the open back? There’s around £170 difference. 

Could one board up the back of an open back cab?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    edited April 2018
    The Closed back cab is an outrageous big thing. Very Solid. like 75% of a 4x12. Mine has been in storage for ages just because of the size of it. It sounds great but its big and heavy. The open back is a bit more like a traditional 2x12
    Its a fair bit smaller than the closed 
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    The open back cabs are made in China, the closed back beasts are made in the U.K. (or used to be).
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    The open back cabs are made in China, the closed back beasts are made in the U.K. (or used to be).
    Aha, that explains it. The thought didn't cross my mind!

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    rico said:
    Aha, that explains it. The thought didn't cross my mind!

I've also no idea why! Maybe due to weight of the closed-back?!

• I thought the open back is slightly thinner ply than the closed as well, but the Orange site lists them both as 18mm so I may be wrong there.  Size-wise it's more like a usual 2x12 combo but without an amp, so may be a bit shallow to sound that good if converted to a closed-back.  Still very well made though despite being the "cheaper option".  The closed-back 212 is enormous.
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    The difference in price is just due to the location of manufacture. 

The vertical open back is made in the uk and is also much more expensive than the horizontal version (although in that example the speakers are different too).