0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    tFB Trader
    £3,750.00
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader
    £3,750.00

Ohh that's the cheaper one too..  I posted the wrong link up top.. Fixed it now..

And this is why I was asking about them...  Never heard of that make before and was wondering why they are that price (apart from greedy assed gits)...

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    That truss rod hole though...
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2950
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2950
    ...that one appears to be offered for sale by none other than ... Terrence Pack!
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22795
    Schnozz said:
    Reminds me of a Washburn Falcon
    Yes indeed, my first thought.

The truss rod adjuster and headstock logo are eyesores, and the nut has a very manky look about it....

I wonder how much it weighs?
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    edited April 2018
    I’ve played two PLs and they weighed the same as a small hatchback.

Great sound and players though!

EDIT - looking at the first one, it could have been one of those I played as it was identical. And I don’t think any two were identical.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14234
    edited April 2018 tFB Trader
    blobb said:
    ...that one appears to be offered for sale by none other than ... Terrence Pack!
    I know Terry - he still attends shows at many of the northern based guitar shows - and yes he was part of the original team that produced the Pack Leader Guitar - Based in Lancs around Blackpool area
    edited April 2018 tFB Trader
    blobb said:
    I know Terry - he still attends shows at many of the northern based guitar shows - and yes he was part of the original team that produced the Pack Leader Guitar - Based in Lancs around Blackpool area
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    Schnozz said:
    Which came after the Pack Leader.

I’ve some vague recollection that Fylde had some involvement in building them. There was a big advertising push on these - John Myles was an endorser.

I also have a vague recollection that Terry Pack was involved in distributing Tokai in the 80s - I may have misremembered that....
    tFB Trader
    Schnozz said:
    Which came after the Pack Leader.

I’ve some vague recollection that Fylde had some involvement in building them. There was a big advertising push on these - John Myles was an endorser.

I also have a vague recollection that Terry Pack was involved in distributing Tokai in the 80s - I may have misremembered that....
    correct on John Miles and Fylde - Plus again correct as part of the early days of importing Tokai in the early 80's
  • AdipsiaAdipsia Frets: 55
    impmann said:
    I’ve played two PLs and they weighed the same as a small hatchback.

Great sound and players though!

EDIT - looking at the first one, it could have been one of those I played as it was identical. And I don’t think any two were identical.
    Yes, they definitely weigh the same as a small hatchback and much heavier than a Les Paul. The natural sustain combined with DiMarzio Super Distortions make them a rocker's wet-dream.

Rabs said:
    £3,750.00

Ohh that's the cheaper one too..  I posted the wrong link up top.. Fixed it now..

And this is why I was asking about them...  Never heard of that make before and was wondering why they are that price (apart from greedy assed gits)...

Two other reasons why they're so expensive:

1. There were only approx. 60 of them ever made.

2. I don't believe that any two are the same. I own one and have played one other. They're rarer than hen's teeth.

A possible third reason is that Roger Bucknall will not be building any more... ever. He's apparently allergic to rosewood and the construction of these guitars still gives him nightmares.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4916
    blobb said:

In the mid-to-late 1960's he had a guitar shop on Dickson Road in Blackpool, where I spent a lot of Saturday mornings as a spotty teenager gazing at wonderful, and unobtainable to me, guitars.

At that time he was also the guitarist in the house orchestra at the Mecca Ballroom on Central Drive.  Once when I went in the shop, he was playing through a chord sequence, and I asked him what it was - "It's a new song by Frank Sinatra called 'My Way', I've got to learn it quick as the singer wants to do it tonight!"

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Nitefly said:
    blobb said:

In the mid-to-late 1960's he had a guitar shop on Dickson Road in Blackpool, where I spent a lot of Saturday mornings as a spotty teenager gazing at wonderful, and unobtainable to me, guitars.

At that time he was also the guitarist in the house orchestra at the Mecca Ballroom on Central Drive.  Once when I went in the shop, he was playing through a chord sequence, and I asked him what it was - "It's a new song by Frank Sinatra called 'My Way', I've got to learn it quick as the singer wants to do it tonight!"

Terry Pack is still in Blackpool but his shop is hardly built for a retail audience. Some interesting guitars on the wall, a load of cardboard boxes in the shop and nowhere to sit... but it feels a bit like visiting Grandad. Nice guy... but he's still got a business-head on his shoulders. My feeling is that he's not that close to Roger Bucknall these days... but then again Roger is a very strange fish indeed; let's just say that he's better in his workshop than in a customer-facing role.
    edited August 2018 tFB Trader
    Adipsia said:
    Nitefly said:
    blobb said:

Terry Pack is still in Blackpool but his shop is hardly built for a retail audience. Some interesting guitars on the wall, a load of cardboard boxes in the shop and nowhere to sit... but it feels a bit like visiting Grandad. Nice guy... but he's still got a business-head on his shoulders. My feeling is that he's not that close to Roger Bucknall these days... but then again Roger is a very strange fish indeed; let's just say that he's better in his workshop than in a customer-facing role.
    I see Terry at many of the guitar shows I exhibit at - Certainly those in Yorks + Lancs etc - Semi retired now - He often has a stand with a few nice guitars, coupled with a load of far eastern 'fender-esq' necks