Aren't solid state amps brilliant

What's Hot
mbembe Frets: 1840
No more waiting for the valves to heat up and cool runnings in hot weather in the practice room/studio.
No expensive valves to buy or fiddly bias adjustments.

Yes, I have valve amps that sound magnificentl but I keep coming back to transistor amps. I remember the first stirrings of solid state amps like HH and Roland JC. They were out of my price range, but valve amps could be had for a pittance in the late 70s.
3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Lab series Gibson's did a couple of artists rather well.  Roland JC probs a high number of pro's.  In fact surprising actually how many pros have a solid state amp. Ok majority still valves but i bet if we could get a% it would surprise us
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Sure Dr Feelgood was wem solid state stuff 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24804
    mr-mac said:
    Sure Dr Feelgood was wem solid state stuff 
    HH IIRC
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2198
    BB King's Lab Series
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    They serve a very functional purpose but they wouldn't be my first port of call. 

I do like how light they can be though!
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    IIRC Andy Latimer went through a phase of using HH tranny amps back in the mid 70s. I think you can tell which amps he was using because the sound is a bit, er, grainy is the best word I can think of to describe it. Not a bit like the AC30s he was otherwise known for using.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    I'm using a Quilter mini 101 head, and have no problems with it. I wouldn't mind a H&H head. I had one years ago.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    They serve a very functional purpose but they wouldn't be my first port of call. 

I do like how light they can be though!
    Valve amps can also be pretty light - I had an R&R SOLO 2 channel, 50W rack amp that weighed about 5-6kg. My current Tubemeister 18 is only a bit north of that.
    <space for hire>
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72340
    digitalscream said:

Valve amps can also be pretty light - I had an R&R SOLO 2 channel, 50W rack amp that weighed about 5-6kg.
    Do you want it back? :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3865
    No
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    I think easier to lunk around has got to be right up there with me.
    And obviously I think they can sound great too.
  • Never played a good one!!!!
    ICBM said:
    digitalscream said:

Valve amps can also be pretty light - I had an R&R SOLO 2 channel, 50W rack amp that weighed about 5-6kg.
    Do you want it back? :)
    Not got the funds :(

I thought it'd been sold already?
    <space for hire>
    digitalscream said:

Yes, but the chap who bought it now wants to sell it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    I bought a first generation Mk1 Marshall Valvestate 8080 when they were launched in the early 90's and I still have it. Great little amp that still sounds good...the originals were the best. To this day I think it was Marshall's best selling amp of all time, and with good reason.  Light, reliable, loud, good cleans and good Marshall crunch, 2 channels, 2 options on each, fx loop and an ECC83 in the gain channel. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    ICBM said:
    digitalscream said:

Yes, but the chap who bought it now wants to sell it...
    Gawd, that poor amp. If I'd known that a month or so ago, I'd have bought it back in a heartbeat :(
    <space for hire>
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    Voxman said:
    I bought a first generation Mk1 Marshall Valvestate 8080 when they were launched in the early 90's and I still have it. Great little amp that still sounds good...the originals were the best. To this day I think it was Marshall's best selling amp of all time, and with good reason.  Light, reliable, loud, good cleans and good Marshall crunch, 2 channels, 2 options on each, fx loop and an ECC83 in the gain channel. 
    Agree with most of that, I've still got mine. I wouldn't say the cleans were good though, it makes a fairly good "Marshall" sound but that's about it. It's also not very light despite having very little in it, I'd hazzard a guess that the carcass is made out of that indestructible wood they use for pallets.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    FX_Munkee said:

I'd hazzard a guess that the carcass is made out of that indestructible wood they use for pallets.
    MDF.

That’s one of the reasons I’ve never been able to bring myself to buy one despite quite liking the sound. If only they’d given it a ply cabinet and a less flimsy chassis and PCB, I would be tempted. Obviously that would have made them more expensive though... but probably also would have sounded better.

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701
    mbe said:
    No more waiting for the valves to heat up and cool runnings in hot weather in the practice room/studio.
    No expensive valves to buy or fiddly bias adjustments.

I’ve never had to do any of that in 20 years of valve ownership, except change valves two or 3 times.
    As for biasing, takes about 5 minutes in my current amp.

That said, I do like a nice quality SS amps.
  • I love my Orange Crush Pro 120 head. It can easily keep up with my band mates Rockerverb 100 and weighs 10kg less!