Favourite Chorus pedal

What's Hot

Comments

• SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 336
    Just bought a CR-7 to try...it'll need to be bloody good to beat the MXR!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 368
    Having been on a bit of a chorus merry go round these past few years I have settled on the Providence Anadime ADC-4, the one with the blend control.

I only like using quite subtle chorus. I especially like the three position depth switch which as far as I can tell controls the amount of delay in the sound, less delay tends to work better with drive IMHO so being able to control it is great for me. Also the lower depth switch settings sound less 80s to me whichever is a good thing. Like a cleaner more transparent CE-2 with a hint of the Arion to my ears.

Others I have experienced...

Boss CE-2 - special of course but too much affect on tone and not subtle enough for me

analog version of Boss CE-5 - excellent but I wanted less buffers, to be honest I would be happy with one again I think

MXR Micro - fab but needs a blend control for me

MXR analog chorus (owned twice) - a bit too wet for me, when I go the amount of movement I wanted there was too much space with it, but I really liked the tone controls (same with CE-5), buffer does affect tone in a way I didn't like when it's off though 

Arion SCH-1 (also owned twice) has its own special thing going on and I figured out how to easily add a blend control to it, a bit muddy for me though and I'm not keen on the box, buffers etc

Calliisto - high hopes but found it very bright and shimmery which is not what I am after 

Anadime -  =)
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3865
    Gadget said: mi
    Lebarque said:
    Analogman chorus owners - Mine annoyingly adds bass and cuts treble. Does a bright switch solve this?

@spirit7 ;; @Majorscale @MrMusic @builttospill ;
    From Analogman...

We now offer a DEEP option which not only makes the chorus thicker at all settings, but moves the frequency spectrum of the chorus down. This enhances the low frequencies. Sounds excellent on guitar too, if you want to be able to dial-in thicker chorus sounds including some warbly, seasick sounds at higher speeds. No extra charge for a fixed DEEP setting, or we can add a push/pull depth knob for $25 extra at time of ordering (or $50 to mod an existing pedal). We can also add a mini toggle 3 position switch for thin / normal / Deep settings, with the thin setting sounding a little like the tc electronics units.
    Thanks, @Gadget . Sounds like mine might have the deep option then. Hmmm.
    All the votes for the MXR are intriguing. Do you prefer it to the Analogman and the Waza CE2, or is it good for the money and widely available?
  • I borrowed an MXR Micro Chorus for a while and it had a pretty hefty volume jump when on, which made it pretty much unusable for me. My bro in law actually uses his as a volume boost when playing certain parts to make them stand out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

@Lebarque I haven't had the Analogman or CE2w but have had other Bosses and the Anadime without mix on it. Basically I want subtle more than obvious chorus so this might be worthless..
    The MXR has that analogue feel, it's quiet, it does obvious upfront chorus but I really like it with treble rolled back, depth & mix down some. So you know there's modulating going on without it shouting 'chorus'. And a quick tweak on a pot brings it up and present if wanted.

I'm sure others can do it but I've just settled on this for the combination of sound, control and the low noise especially with drive. Mine was £55 posted, usually they were £70-80 when I was looking.

Thanks, @Corvus ;
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    ...........I think I saw John McLaughlin had one on his pedal board and he seems to know what he's doing.
    Yes you did.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited April 2018
    I love chorus.....and have....

MXR M-134, the big yellow one, beautiful in stereo,,,
    TC SCF, still a stunning chorus, again best in stereo...
    Arion SCH-Z. As good as the SCH-1 or whatever it is, I swear.
    On board; Ibanez DCF-10. I found out recently only the switching is digital.

I used to have over 10 choruses....I should have kept some of 'em.

Still have 3 or 4 flangers too. The grey MXR is my favourite. And Morley Sapphire, beautiful chorus/flanger sound.
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    edited April 2018
    Gadget said:
    The Providence Anadime chorus is nice too.
    JMP220478 said:
    beyond this I'm currently looking at next generation of trichorus pedals to nail the Landau / Huff 80's studio tones - Neunaber Inspire -Shiva Audio L'il Wave - Free The Tone Avatar - GAS is cruel mistress
    I have the FTT, but haven't had chance to use it in stereo yet, which is kind of the whole point.

I have also just picked-up the Shiva The Wave rack
     @Gadget ;                    and you're still looking for a TERC too ?   
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28198
    edited April 2018
    Boss DC-2 is the only one I actually like. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • mal1971mal1971 Frets: 16
    JMP220478 said:
    Maynehead said:
    The Arion stereo chorus is the best I've tried, unfortunately the one I had only works properly on batteries. When plugged in you get crackly breakup when strummed hard.
    Ive got the SCH1 on my board atm and its a very nice piece - though not experiencing  issues with dc supply and no breakup as you've mentioned - the tone control is a very useful feature - not quietest of units but versatile inc the faux leslie stuff..

beyond that  I'm currently looking at next generation of trichorus pedals to really nail the Landau / Huff 80's studio tones - Neunaber Inspire -Shiva Audio L'il Wave - Free The Tone Avatar - GAS is a cruel mistress
    Gadget said:
    JMP220478 said:
    beyond this I'm currently looking at next generation of trichorus pedals to nail the Landau / Huff 80's studio tones - Neunaber Inspire -Shiva Audio L'il Wave - Free The Tone Avatar - GAS is cruel mistress
    I have the FTT, but haven't had chance to use it in stereo yet, which is kind of the whole point.

I have also just picked-up the Shiva The Wave rack :)

I am also a big chorus fan...   chasing the 80s trichorus sound in a pedal.  I have the FTT tri avatar, and rtx freeway, digital and analog respectively.  Interested to hear how the shivavwave compares and whether you had Luca mod it for the choral exciters like on the original 1380S?

i also own the analogman bi chorus, and Tc corona as well as a surprisingly good old aria sch1.

• Slimbert said:
    MXR Analog for me...that would always be my first choice.
    Corvus said:
    MXR Analog here too. Can dial it right down for soft & subtle, or up for the usual stuff. Quiet too. Also liked the Anadimes nice squishy feel but after overdrives it was quite a bit noisier than the MXR.
    Another vote for the MXR Analog here.
    Gonna try and bag one of the MXR Analog chorus’s as well, they get a lot of good feedback, I really like the mxr pedals I’ve had
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    edited April 2018
    JMP220478 said:
    Gadget said:
    JMP220478 said:

I have also just picked-up the Shiva The Wave rack
     @Gadget ;;                    and you're still looking for a TERC too ?   
    I'm not particularly looking for one now I've got The Wave, but if one crops-up cheap second hand I'd be interested to give it a try for comparison. The idea of spending the £1100 I can get one for new in the UK has evaporated though. I have a friend who has a TERC though, so I'll have to catch-up with him sometime and do a side-by-side.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    mal1971 said:
    JMP220478 said:
    Maynehead said:
    The Arion stereo chorus is the best I've tried, unfortunately the one I had only works properly on batteries. When plugged in you get crackly breakup when strummed hard.
    Ive got the SCH1 on my board atm and its a very nice piece - though not experiencing  issues with dc supply and no breakup as you've mentioned - the tone control is a very useful feature - not quietest of units but versatile inc the faux leslie stuff..

beyond that  I'm currently looking at next generation of trichorus pedals to really nail the Landau / Huff 80's studio tones - Neunaber Inspire -Shiva Audio L'il Wave - Free The Tone Avatar - GAS is a cruel mistress
    Gadget said:
    JMP220478 said:

I am also a big chorus fan...   chasing the 80s trichorus sound in a pedal.  I have the FTT tri avatar, and rtx freeway, digital and analog respectively.  Interested to hear how the shivavwave compares and whether you had Luca mod it for the choral exciters like on the original 1380S?

i also own the analogman bi chorus, and Tc corona as well as a surprisingly good old aria sch1.

I seem to have acquired rather a lot of chorus options. I love the thick, obvious chorus sound best, so the Tri-Stereo is the main sound I'm after.

I will speak to Luca about the possibility of getting the exciter mod done. It's early days testing so far, but I think The Wave could perhaps use some added high-end 'sparkle' for certain jangly sounds. Not all the time, as it's nice to have the warm low-end wobble, but as an optional feature. He's just finished the last of the run of 35 though, so whether he'll stil do the mod (?)

I've had my Analogman Stereo Bi-Clone since 2004, before it was released as a production pedal. Trying to sort-out an exact 16V supply for that at the mo. Fabulous pedal.

Not blown away by the FTT yet, but as I say, I need to use it properly in its intended purpose - stereo...

Ripply Fall and Anadime ADC-4 are my other two faves.

I haven't tried the Corona.

The chorus options in the Neunaber Slate (Expanse software) are pretty good.

I have two Arions - one black, one grey.

I also have a Cornish SSC on the way, which I'm really looking forward to.

Don't think I've seen the 'RTX Freeway' and can't find anything on it - got a link?

There are also some great chorus sounds on old school rack units for <£100.

• mal1971mal1971 Frets: 16
    Gadget said:
    mal1971 said:
    JMP220478 said:
    Maynehead said:

Gadget said:
    JMP220478 said:

I seem to have acquired rather a lot of chorus options. I love the thick, obvious chorus sound best, so the Tri-Stereo is the main sound I'm after.

I will speak to Luca about the possibility of getting the exciter mod done. It's early days testing so far, but I think The Wave could perhaps use some added high-end 'sparkle' for certain jangly sounds. Not all the time, as it's nice to have the warm low-end wobble, but as an optional feature. He's just finished the last of the run of 35 though, so whether he'll stil do the mod (?)

I've had my Analogman Stereo Bi-Clone since 2004, before it was released as a production pedal. Trying to sort-out an exact 16V supply for that at the mo. Fabulous pedal.

Not blown away by the FTT yet, but as I say, I need to use it properly in its intended purpose - stereo...

Ripply Fall and Anadime ADC-4 are my other two faves.

I haven't tried the Corona.

The chorus options in the Neunaber Slate (Expanse software) are pretty good.

I have two Arions - one black, one grey.

I also have a Cornish SSC on the way, which I'm really looking forward to.

Don't think I've seen the 'RTX Freeway' and can't find anything on it - got a link?

There are also some great chorus sounds on old school rack units for <£100.

Sorry, I meant RTX threeway...  it’s an analog trichorus in a pedal.  It’s darker than the triavatar.
  • SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 336
    Slimbert said:
    MXR Analog for me...that would always be my first choice.
    Corvus said:
    MXR Analog here too. Can dial it right down for soft & subtle, or up for the usual stuff. Quiet too. Also liked the Anadimes nice squishy feel but after overdrives it was quite a bit noisier than the MXR.
    Another vote for the MXR Analog here.
    Gonna try and bag one of the MXR Analog chorus’s as well, they get a lot of good feedback, I really like the mxr pedals I’ve had
    Much like Boss pedals used to be thought of, I think of MXR as the current brand that you can't really go too far wrong with.

I'm not saying they're the best ever or the most reliable ever etc but in most instances they're worthy of at least an 8/10 or seen as above average.

I've never heard anything from MXR that I couldn't make use of or thought was rubbish.

That Analog Chorus, though, is a real gem.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    mal1971 said:
    Thanks mate, I did find it in the end. Seems like a rare beast. No clips on YouTube, or even on their own website (and it's been out for some time it seems?)

I did find one audio clip on a forum and it seemed to have a very pronounced pitch-shifting tone, but difficult to tell. I'll look out for one to try in person.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    I want to try the Analogman.