Someone lent me an orange rocker 30 combo for rehearsal tonight, reckon I fancy buying an orange now

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
edited April 2018 in Amps
I've been dying to try one for ages so I got a lend of one tonight for a rehearsal.

I thought it was absolutely fantastic , compact (but heavy !) and plenty loud enough .
everything on half and volume to taste sounded great , and it worked great at rehearsal volume too.

this amp could definitely replace my jcm800.
my next amp will probably be one from the orange rocker series.

I would also like to try the rocker 15 terror .

im also wondering wether to go for the 1x12 combo (maybe with ext cab) to head and 2x12 .

I really enjoyed playing through it , great tone , great crunch , great response and not overpowered .

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    The original Rocker 30 is easily the best modern Orange amp in my opinion. To be fair, I haven’t played the new Rockers or the Rocker Terror yet.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    ICBM said:
    The original Rocker 30 is easily the best modern Orange amp in my opinion. To be fair, I haven’t played the new Rockers or the Rocker Terror yet.
    I thought it was great . 
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I struggled with the rocker 30, it sounds great but in a two guitar band it was just too much and the EQ didn’t do enough to dial it in. I also found it really picky with overdrives in front

timmysoft said:
    I struggled with the rocker 30, it sounds great but in a two guitar band it was just too much and the EQ didn’t do enough to dial it in.
    I could see that being a problem... I’ve only ever heard it in a one-guitar band.

timmysoft said:

I also found it really picky with overdrives in front
    Which channel were you using - dirty?

I’ve found it only sounds good with quite a narrow range of overdrive and boost pedals into that channel, but the clean channel is amazing with almost anything, if you can live with no EQ.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    timmysoft said:
    I struggled with the rocker 30, it sounds great but in a two guitar band it was just too much and the EQ didn’t do enough to dial it in.
    I could see that being a problem... I’ve only ever heard it in a one-guitar band.

timmysoft said:

I also found it really picky with overdrives in front
    Which channel were you using - dirty?

I’ve found it only sounds good with quite a narrow range of overdrive and boost pedals into that channel, but the clean channel is amazing with almost anything, if you can live with no EQ.
    Yeah, mostly the dirty channel, but even with the clean I found the sound quite congested when boosted. 
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 214
    Perhaps that’s due to the Vintage 30... I always wondered how these amps sound with for instance a Greenback speaker.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited April 2018
    Might be worth trying out the Brent Hinds terror as well. Apparently it has more of a Marshally upper mids thing going on so might be a bit closer to your 800. Seems like it takes boosts well too.

Make sure you try a Mini Jubilee head as well though! 
    Emiel said:
    Perhaps that’s due to the Vintage 30... I always wondered how these amps sound with for instance a Greenback speaker.
    I changed the speaker a few times, tried a CL80 and an H30. Definitely better with the H30, but still has that orange fuzzy mid thing that I find doesn’t gel well with other guitar tones. Great for a 1 guitar band but they sound just too thick in a 2 guitar mix 
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader
    timmysoft said:
    I struggled with the rocker 30, it sounds great but in a two guitar band it was just too much and the EQ didn’t do enough to dial it in. I also found it really picky with overdrives in front

I have had the same issue at low volume playing, just could not get some pedals to play well with it on either channel. I probably did not spend enough time with it though as I have seen loads of bands playing them and I liked the sound
    The guitarist in my band is currently using his one with a Marshall 2061CX cab fitted with a Creamback G12M-65 (top) and G12H-75 (bottom) pair - it sounds fantastic, but it does need to be wound up quite loud.

ICBM said:
    The guitarist in my band is currently using his one with a Marshall 2061CX cab fitted with a Creamback G12M-65 (top) and G12H-75 (bottom) pair - it sounds fantastic, but it does need to be wound up quite loud.
    I’ve had the head and the combo, various cabs and speakers but I could never get it to really work for me. although I do play fairly heavy, tight, fast rock and the rocker 30 just couldn’t get tight enough at volume for percussive muting 
    timmysoft said:

I’ve had the head and the combo, various cabs and speakers but I could never get it to really work for me. although I do play fairly heavy, tight, fast rock and the rocker 30 just couldn’t get tight enough at volume for percussive muting 
    Yes, I expect that would be so - one thing I like most about it is the looser sound.

• mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    I love the ad30
  • timmysoft said:
    ICBM said:

It's not a super tight amp to be honest  but if you're riffing Slipknot style riffs, where a loose tail is a good thing, you'll love it. 

It's also got quite a nice, open "roar" - quite marshall like. Great for big open chords.
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 452
    edited April 2018
    I've had a few Rockers over the years and absolutely loved them, but I couldn't live with the imbalance between volumes on the channels - the clean channel was nowhere near as loud as the dirty channel and not loud enough for gigging (as the sole guitarist in a not-really-that-loud band!)
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    I liked the rocker 30 but it has no loop so no way to get a proper level boost for solos so it didn't stay long

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I liked the rocker 30 but it has no loop so no way to get a proper level boost for solos so it didn't stay long
    And this was @riffpowers main gripe with the jcm800
    cm01 said:
    I've had a few Rockers over the years and absolutely loved them, but I couldn't live with the imbalance between volumes on the channels - the clean channel was nowhere near as loud as the dirty channel and not loud enough for gigging (as the sole guitarist in a not-really-that-loud band!)
    Oddly, we played a gig last weekend and the chap in my band couldn't get his anywhere near up to the usual volume he runs it at in rehearsals without the soundman complaining that it was far too loud...

The clean channel isn't that loud, but it will go up to the headroom of the power stage and overdrive it slightly, so it can't be any louder really or it wouldn't stay clean.

• riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    John_A said:
    And this was @riffpowers main gripe with the jcm800
    Yes that's right . Can  I live with it ? Dunno . 
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6131
    tFB Trader
    I have both the rocker 15 and the rocker 32. The 15 has been used as a home practice amp and a loud gigging amp/ demo amp. The 32 sounds just the same but with a lot more volume. I really like both a lot. I truly believe that the rocker 15 is one of the best lower wattage combos available today. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom