Buena Vista Social Club: Tonight (Friday 20th) BBC Four 9pm

What's Hot
fandangofandango Frets: 2204
It's not often we touch on 'world' music here on TFB, but I having listened to the albums, this documentary about Cuban music is very much not to be missed.

Yes, it's not your heavy rock-punk that many seem to dig, but if you appreciate what Ry Cooder has done over the years, unearthing these old timer Cubans, ranks right up there with the best things musical.

Surely worth your time?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Definitely. This was a great record. In 1999 I managed to get back stage after a concert in Cambridge and met Ibrahim Ferrer and Ruben Gonzalez. Later that year got to meet Ibrahim again at his home in Havana. Real privilege. Certainly one of my favourite recordings of the 90s.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302

.....which was nice.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Superb film and soundtrack, probably THE album that got me into jazz. I have a load of Rueben Gonzalez's solo CDs.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1771
    I've got this DVD, it's great. I never actually bought the soundtrack even though I love it - time to go look it up, thanks for the reminder!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • ibrahim ferrer’s solo stuff was great too. Likewise the stuff by cachaito lopez, the bass player and Ruben gonzalez’s solo piano albums. Also worth checking out the Afro Cuban All Stars records also on the World Circuit label. Phenomenal live show.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    edited April 2018
    One of the best all time music docs. Manual Galban's playing is even more prominent on the first Ibrahim Ferrer solo album and he did an instrumental surf/cuban guitar album with Ry called Mambo Sinuendo which is awesome! 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I had a dvd of this ( free with a magazine I think) many, many years ago and found it, well , pretty uninteresting. Shame on me probably. I suspect my musical interests have changed enough over the years to accommodate it now so I'll have to give it another go. 
    There is also an old Arena on about Celia Cruz. Oddly enough another freebie I had - I bought some cd and also got a free sampler with Cruz stuff on it, again quite a long time ago now. That I enjoyed, very energetic music. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • McSwaggertyMcSwaggerty Frets: 661
    that's tonight sorted then !
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    I had a dvd of this ( free with a magazine I think) many, many years ago and found it, well , pretty uninteresting. Shame on me probably. I suspect my musical interests have changed enough over the years to accommodate it now so I'll have to give it another go.
    It's not just you. I had the album - I really, really tried to like it but I just found it dull... it sounded somehow laboured and tired. I finally gave up and charity shopped it last week.

I do have very wide musical tastes too, and I like a lot of stuff like this - although not Ry Cooder, which may have something to do with it - but it just bored me.

I do like Celia Cruz too!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    ICBM said:
    It's not just you. I had the album - I really, really tried to like it but I just found it dull... it sounded somehow laboured and tired. I finally gave up and charity shopped it last week.

I do have very wide musical tastes too, and I like a lot of stuff like this - although not Ry Cooder, which may have something to do with it - but it just bored me.

I do like Celia Cruz too!
    Well,I’ve ear marked it for Sunday night ironing so I’ll see how I get on this time :fearful: 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3072
    I missed it but got the Afro Cuban All Stars album instead which I still really like. Enjoying the doc so far.

Props for the Fast Show reference @Emp_Fab . I prefer Acid Skiffle. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    I tried watching it on Friday night, but honestly... I got bored. I totally *get* that these guys are great musicians and that I respect Ry for highlighting their talents. However, the music just doesn't connect with me. I went to bed about 2/3rds of the way in.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I started watching it but got bored after a couple of songs, I did like those big old cars though.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Great DVD, which reminds me that I need to get it back from a mate I lent it to.

Also give this a listen to sometimes on Spotify, it was released in 2015.  I love how natural the instruments sound on the recordings.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LOST-FOUND-Buena-Vista-Social/dp/B00SSJIAXE
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    edited April 2018
    I bought the lost and found LP, great great album... love the opener! I also love that world circuit records makes the records available in full length on youtube, for everyone to hear.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    edited April 2018
    Thanks for the heads up @fandango

LOVED the CDs when they came out, and saw this film when it was released at the cinema.  Now my son, who's a drummer, is seriously getting into some Latin stuff so I foresee a father/son bonding session coming on. 

EDIT: d'oh: saw this was last friday.  To iPlayer!
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    I was listening to this today while I worked - Weird coincidence!! Everyone was getting worked up while I chilled the 'F' out  :)