You’ll float too......

What's Hot
....my lad is sketching out some great pieces, something I could never do..

one of my faves, although he sat in the conservatory once with his sketch pad and 5 mins later was an awesome sketch of my N64 and controller... I was amazed.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    This is really good, congrats to your lad.

Perhaps get him a set of decent pencils/coals?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Awsum stuff. 

I had a friend who could draw, always envied him growing up. I’ve never been able to do it, always wanted to have that skill! 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7348
    Apparently its not a magic skill that some people have and others don't, you get it through practice. I genuinely didn't know this until my wife told me a few weeks ago. I just thought some people could draw and others couldn't.
  • Chris777Chris777 Frets: 58
    Good lad that is great :)
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    DefaultM said:
    Apparently its not a magic skill that some people have and others don't, you get it through practice. I genuinely didn't know this until my wife told me a few weeks ago. I just thought some people could draw and others couldn't.
    Interesting! 

Suppose it explains why I can draw dicks so good haha. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16736
    DefaultM said:
    Hmm.  Not so sure.   Practice will obviously help develop the skill, I don’t think it accounts for all of it
  • WezV said:
    DefaultM said:
    Hmm.  Not so sure.   Practice will obviously help develop the skill, I don’t think it accounts for all of it
    Agreed, I did art at school and really did try but never could achieve anything credible, and looking at on object/picture and then sketching it is a huge no no.

yes in theory if you practice practice practice you should be able to achieve anything, but it isn’t always the case.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28503
    edited April 2018
    I suspect it's much like most things. If you want to do it and are willing to put in the right amount of good practice then you can get to competence.

The first and last 5% might be something like natural aptitude, but that's not the limiting factor for most people. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    That’s a nice drawing. He’s got talent.

There might be some theory in the practice idea. When I was very young 6-10 I could draw very well. I could copy things, be creative and generally they looked like they were drawn by an older person. I could also paint.

30 odd years later and I can barely draw a convincing stick figure or paint a wall.

At that age all I probably did was play football, read and draw. There were no computer or TV distractions like these days so I would have practiced loads...

I’d love to have a go at drawing again. When my mum showed me the art I was doing at that age it made me think - should I join an evening art or painting class. In all honesty I don’t hink I have the time to do it but maybe one day...

Anyone else done arty type classes as an adult?

Previously known as stevebrum
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    I can draw a cartoon dog.

But that's all I got.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7343
    is rather worrying how he sees you tho...??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Anyone can learn to draw - I learnt but I was at college so had time and the inclination.
    I'm talking about drawing from life here. 
    It's mostly about stopping your brain trying to improve things and imposing what it thinks it can see. Throw away your eraser, use a sharp pencil and don't do any shading. Do a small drawing every day, even if only for ten minutes - draw something plain like a doorknob from different angles - you'll begin to grasp how shapes change so much.
    Stevebrum - definitely go and do some classes - it'll come back to you!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7348
    Highly regarded artists must practice to get how good they are though?
     Compare it to guitar playing. Sure you get the odd few people that pick it up and they're amazing straight away, but the majority have to practice every day for years to get competent. You're shit at first, then you get progressively better. So if you can't draw now but you wish you could, then you can if you practice.