What do you hear? (Ear Test rd.2)

What's Hot
RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3156
edited April 2018 in Amps tFB Trader
Have a listen to the video below and tell me what you hear. How would you describe the tone? Does it remind you of anything? Do you like it? The more detailed, the better.

Obviously, it's best listened to with headphones and I'm interested in both your first impression and your thoughts after hearing it a few times.

FWIW - The guitar being played is a Fender Strat and the reverb is a Strymon BlueSky. The sound you're hearing is not the guitar and amp pictured, that's just for eye candy.

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
Rift Amplification
Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
Brackley, Northamptonshire
www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Very Blackface Bassman in attack and tone 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Strat played with fingers... could be any old Strat - - even cheap copies offer up that sound.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    A pretty 'average' tone imho.  The breakup on the lower notes seemed to flub out too much for my liking.  You'd expect the amp to load up a bit with the double stops but something didn't seem to cope very well.
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    edited April 2018
    I am going out left field and gonna say its a modeller of the modern generation.  Kemper, helix, axe (even Katana)????
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    mr-mac said:
    I am going out left field and gonna say its a modeller of the modern generation.  Kemper, helix, axe ????
    I'm going to go even more left field... Having not even listened to it I'm going to guess that it's an old school Pod or Zoom....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3848
    mr-mac said:
    I am going out left field and gonna say its a modeller of the modern generation.  Kemper, helix, axe ????
    I'm going to go even more left field... Having not even listened to it I'm going to guess that it's an old school Pod or Zoom....
    It's Rift. It's valves. Stop messing about.  ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72326
    To me it sounds more like a smaller Fender amp with 6V6s, but tighter and more percussive than I would expect from that, so I would guess it's something like a Blackface Princeton circuit with a solid-state rectifier.

Yes, I like it a lot - especially the slightly ragged breakup when it's having to cope with more than one note, although it still sounds more controlled than a vintage Fender.

(Listened to on hi-fi speakers, I hate headphones.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701

I like it, whatever it is. I’m going 6V6 fender based as well.  Would of said Princeton Reverb but the outboard reverb makes me think pre Blackface, but not a tweed circuit.  
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Sounds like a small Fender, probably 6V6. As mentioned before, it does sound very tight. All I really know is that it sounds great and I want one.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I wouldn't like to guess what it is but I quite like it. I'd like a touch more tighness on the lowest of the bass notes and a bit more lower mid growl for want of a better word, but overall it's a pleasing noise.
    But what do I know? I still like the sound of a Pod2
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    It is a sound that I could live with. How it is achieved is anyone’s guess but I suggest a SE valve amp. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    edited April 2018
    Certainly sounds like 6V6, and the fast attack and slightly muted response on the high frequencies suggests a small speaker maybe? The blurring on the double stops made me think humuckers, but you say its a Strat so maybe you've gone with lower voltage?
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 767
    Sounds a bit like a John Mayer intro but not as clean, the bass response is struggling so maybe a small speaker combo?
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    It sounds like a pushed Princeton type to me, low end is just on the edge of flabbing out, is it a 10" speaker?

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
     doesn’t sound tight enough to have neg feedback... I’m going 5e3(ish) at low volume... reverb throws it a bit.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    I have to be honest, I think the guitar part would have sounded better with less gain, as there are some unpleasant artifacts in the double note parts and it just sounds like it was badly dialed in to me. There's also a lack of top end presence - that could be the compression from You Tube though... there feels like there should be more sparkle there than there is but again, that could be the result of too much gain.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 411
    Liked the playing.  Sounded a bit tweedy to me.  
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Sounds like a guitar plugged straight in to a desk with that nasty fizz going on.  Not a great sound IMO
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    @RiftAmps when are you going to spill the beans? I've been sat up all night refreshing the thread in eager anticipation