Japanese Columbus Les Paul

What's Hot

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    There's no reason they can't be made to play with a bit of a Danelectro vibe, and I know I'd prefer that to a PRS SE. 

The Magic Sam clip I posted is all about character to me, you'd really struggle to pull that off with any modern twin humbucker guitar. 

All of us oldies battled with shite guitars like these when we wanted real pro gear, but they have their place when you have the pro bit covered many time over.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2950
    TTony said:

Our neighbour was working on his old Morris 1000 last weekend. 
    My first guitar was a 'Hurricane - by Morris', the circle of life is complete. To be honest it was pretty good, I stood on it though and snapped the head off.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    I had a no-name Les Paul copy similar to the Columbus. It has one of the best necks I've ever come across.

I removed the hum-sonic pickups; I put a DiMarzio Tele pickup at the bridge and a Mighty Mite strat pickup at the neck and I re-strung it with Nashville stringing (the high set of a 12-string). It sounded very different.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Wouldn't one of those be OK for experimenting, and if you end up with something playable that plays & stays in tune, haven't you got a cheap bonus? You could always save it for those dodgy gigs you don't want to take a prize Gibson to.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14237
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    ICBM said:

Unless you want something with a bit of character and aren’t bothered about quality as such 
    OK.

Our neighbour was working on his old Morris 1000 last weekend.  It was his mother's, sold to her by his uncle, got loads of paperwork with it, etc, etc.

It has character a-plenty (in lieu of things like effective brakes, safety belts, lights that actually show where you're going, a radio, etc) but it's not a car that I'd choose to use to actually go anywhere.  

Yet  it obviously has huge sentimental value to him, so he's happy to spend the time and money to keep it in running order to maintain that value.

On that basis, I can understand someone wanting a Columbus LP - memories of their early playing days, etc.  

Indeed, I too had one as my first guitar.  But some things, I  just don't need reminding of ...
    great analogy Tony and something similar to stories I use quite a bit - loads of character, but from an engineering point of view, you could make  a great case for a Toyota Yaris as a superior car - Certainly most would not want to use the M Minor on a day to day basis 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12316
    I actually like cheapo guitars, they sound great when applied to the right kind of music, the Magic Sam clip is nothing short of explosive.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    The Morris Minor analogy doesn't really stand up to scrutiny. The Minor was an entry level car admittedly, but it was at least a distinct model in its own right, not a cheap copy of an Aston Martin. Plus, it was broadly representative of the state of car engineering when it was introduced - advanced, even; certainly for its market sector.

Your Columbus/Satellite LP copy is a fibreglass Ferrari replica kit-car built on a Yugo chassis.
    Trading feedback: Trading feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Get a Korean Columbus.  Least its made of wood
  • Well, this has been an interesting debate.  The Columbus is, in many ways, 'shite'.  But, as observed by a few, its application is crucial in determining the veracity of this.  The Magic Sam clip is indeed magic and proof that these instruments can be made to sound very special in the right hands.  Admittedly, for the money, most will take a PRS SE - and I don't blame them.

On another note, if anybody wants to buy this very well-preserved (and I understand all-original - 4k pickups, etc.) original guitar, let me know!  It has a 'vintage' hard case, so posting it isn't beyond the realms of possibility.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    p90fool said:
    @ICBM stripping the salvageable parts off before you set fire to them doesn't sound like the most scintillating stage act tbh. 

:) 
    especially as he had to ask the audience if anyone had a screwdriver.no style .
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    My probable AVON has two screw holes  where its headstock badge went and small centre motif ,weighs 7.5 lbs on the baby scales.Its ply and pressed top .Its a nice guitar unless you are expecting a Les Paul .The pickups dont go microphonic which I gather some do ...As  the real test of a guitar is really how well set up   it is to play  for the music you play the Avon passes muster .i also play it mainly through a DV Little Jazz  and joyo American sound which makes anything sound warm sweet pure bluesy  and jazzy and a sort of fingerstyle so no harsh picks.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6060
    impmann said:
    I'm sorry but "why?".
    Recapturing lost youth maybe? That time when it was all in front of you rather than behind.
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    I have, and recently tried (and failed) to sell a near identical one. CSL branded, but pretty sure it's the same Fuji-Gen made model. Mine has genuine HBs, as far as I can tell, not single coils.  Although it's pretty heavy, and the original tuners and bridge are not very good. I kept the tuners, but replaced the bridge (although I still have the original).

Plays very nicely, I think.  I also think it sounds pretty good, too, although a modern budget LP (Vintage Lemon Drop, or whatever) is a much more authentic LP copy.

I think there's probably a fair bit of variation, since mine has many of the features mentioned by others -- plywood pressed top, crappy tuners, substandard bridge, etc. -- but not others. It sustains just fine. Makes a nice noise.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    JezWynd said:
    impmann said:
    I'm sorry but "why?".
    Recapturing lost youth maybe? That time when it was all in front of you rather than behind.
    There are many things I’d like to recapture from my youth - and most of them have tits. Crap guitars aren’t one of them...

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Put it this way: You can safely say that that guitar has seen it's reflection in the mirror more times than has been used in anger on any stage!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I’ve lost count of how many similar models (Columbus, Satellite, Antoria, CSL, Eros, Hondo, Avon, Jedson, Aria, Kimbara, etc, etc), I’ve owned over the years - and I dare say I’ll own a fair few more yet.

As I intimated earlier, if you don’t expect too much (or pay too much!), enjoy them for what they are and live with their foibles, they’re fun to tinker with and render playable.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2377
    AlexC said:
    As an aside... mid 80s I had a Columbus. Bright red. Tele shaped. Pointy headstock. Two humbuckers. Dodgy trem unit. Played it in my first band. Did the job. Got rid of it after 18 months though for a Tokai!
    Yeah I had a black one with red binding  \m/ 
  • mortmort Frets: 719
    John_A said:
    TTony said:
    My first guitar, way back when ...
    Mine too - I set fire to it at a gig and regretted it later :)
    Same here, exactly as the picture. Bought from a shop in Shaftsbury Avenue in 1976. I polished it more than I played it and sold it to buy a metal detector about 6 months later.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    impmann said:
    I'm sorry but "why?".

I endured one of these pieces of shit as my second electric guitar. It had no pleasing qualities whatsoever - thats why we all got rid of them as quickly as we could back then. Yes, you could fit new pickups to it but thats akin to rolling it in glitter - as you can't polish a turd.

I'm stunned that *anyone* would pay more than £50 for such a guitar - as for the prices quoted above you could buy something that sounds and plays far superior for less.

Its not kitch cool, its not cool at all... its just a cheap, nasty Les Paul.

I think my major issue with such guitars is when they're talked up into something they very definitely aren't.

From £0.00 - £50.00, they can be a mildly entertaining nostalgic diversion, but once "mojo", "vintage", "lawsuit", blahblahblah are mentioned (along with a commensurate price hike*), then I'm totally with you.

*Just the fact of knowing that they are still out there for £Peanuts in plentiful quantities would prevent me from spending crazy money on them.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14237
    tFB Trader
    I’ve lost count of how many similar models (Columbus, Satellite, Antoria, CSL, Eros, Hondo, Avon, Jedson, Aria, Kimbara, etc, etc), I’ve owned over the years 

that just about sounds like the full set - the only 1 I can add to that is a Grant - but more of a badged guitar by a store in Scotland as against an importer/distributor model 

You missed Kay from that list

The only 1 on that list I can't recall who imported them was Jedson - might have been Arbiter