Red Hot Chili Peppers

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ColsCols Frets: 6998
    The Chilli Peppers hold the dubious honour of being the most disappointing live act that I've ever seen.

A more "we cannot be arsed with this" performance I can not imagine. Coupled to turning every single song into a five minute slap bass solo and I was even more bored than they were.
    Oh, go on then.  When did you you see them?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    Cols said:
    The Chilli Peppers hold the dubious honour of being the most disappointing live act that I've ever seen.

A more "we cannot be arsed with this" performance I can not imagine. Coupled to turning every single song into a five minute slap bass solo and I was even more bored than they were.
    Sounds exactly like a London Docklands gig I went to. Mars Volta supported and blew RHCP out of the water.

Leeds 1999 was a different matter. Awesome in every way.
  • Deadman said:
    Cols said:

Sounds exactly like a London Docklands gig I went to. Mars Volta supported and blew RHCP out of the water.

Leeds 1999 was a different matter. Awesome in every way.
    Me too- my worst gig ever was a Chilis gig. 2004 at City of Manchester stadium. Terrible. Lifeless & going through the motions. Chick on Speed were supporting and lasted one and a half songs before being bottled and bood off, Flea came out and told the crowd he was disappointed as they were trying to broaden musical horizons. 
    Only two good things from that night-
    1. James Brown was (inexplicably) also supporting & was superb. 
    2. I was working security, so got paid £20 an hour for being there. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12900
    Cols said:

Pink Pop in 2016. 

I'd forgotten just how dull some of it was, until this video brought it all back:

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    ICBM said:
    I *only* like them when Frusciante was in the band... but when he was, some of it was magical - not just the guitar parts, he brought something to the songwriting that was absent otherwise.

We generally have very different tastes, but on this one we're completely aligned. Frusciante has something magical and I love his sense of time and groove that made the band for me.

It's not a competition.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22795
    antonyiv said:
    I really don’t understand why people underestimate Dave Navarro when he was in the band. He did some pretty good songs.
    I like that album, but it just doesn't fit into the RHCP catalogue.  It feels more like a side project they did while they were waiting for Frusciante to come back. 

A bit like that Talk Show album with three quarters of Stone Temple Pilots.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Frusiciante is one of my favourite guitarists and backing vocalists. What he did for RHCP was perfect. SO melodic. Perfect musicianship. I don't usually care for solos but his really are brilliant.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    John Frusciante is boss!

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    LOL. Me too. Definitely right up there anyway. I saw them on the One Hot Minute tour, and they looked like they couldn't really be bothered. Still, that was the 90's, and they probably thought it was cool.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I've also seen a pretty shit Chillis show. it was one of the times they played Reading, can't remember when. Maybe 2004? 2005? Stropped off when Can't Stop went a bit wrong in the intro, then came back on one at a time and restarted after 5 mins or so. Rest of the gig had a weird vibe, like they'd fallen out but had to wait 'til later to have the argument. Ended with a 15 minute one-note guitar solo.

I do like Californication and By the Way albums though. Stadium Arcadium has some cool songs on, but it's just too long and most of the songs are solid "B" efforts to me, so I've never been able to properly get into it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72329
    edited April 2018
    Cirrus said:

Stadium Arcadium has some cool songs on, but it's just too long and most of the songs are solid "B" efforts to me, so I've never been able to properly get into it.
    The real problem with it is that almost all of the good songs are on the first disc - the second disc is full of so-so efforts so you tend not to play it and miss the good ones. I listened to the whole thing yesterday and now I’m not sure I wouldn’t change my mind about there being too much for a good single album...

Still love Death Of A Martian though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Cirrus said:

Stadium Arcadium has some cool songs on, but it's just too long and most of the songs are solid "B" efforts to me, so I've never been able to properly get into it.
    The real problem with it is that almost all of the good songs are on the first disc - the second disc is full of so-so efforts so you tend not to play it and miss the good ones. I listened to the whole thing yesterday and now I’m not sure I wouldn’t change my mind about there being too much for a good single album...
    It's their version of Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    Frusciante's solos on 'I Could Have Lied' and 'My Lovely Man' are some of my favourites of any guitarist's. 

I see there's been scant (if any) mention of Mother's Milk - I liked that record.  'Stone Cold Bush' has a particularly nasty riff, drenched in wah.

Nice to see Hillel Slovak get a mention, a big part of the early sound.  'Fight Like a Brave' is the one for me, but love the Uplift Mofo... record in general.

Anything post-Blood Sugar... not so much.  I quite like a few tracks from One Hot Minute though.

*puts on tin helmet and retreats*
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    Philly_Q said:
    ICBM said:
    Cirrus said:

It's their version of Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.
    Hah, yeah!  It is too.  It's also equally as bloated and boring if you ask me.

(Big early Pumpkins fan here...)
    edited April 2018
    You fucking heathens, Disc 2 of Mellon Collie is awesome, some incredible songs.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 6998
    Case for the prosecution - even back in their heyday they could turn in some shocking performances.  This one looks like it might have been ‘chemically enhanced’.

https://youtu.be/j1zec-toMac
    quarky said:
    You fucking heathens, Disc 2 of Mellon Collie is awesome, some incredible songs.

I notice you didn't mention disc 1...
    Philly_Q said:
    quarky said:

I notice you didn't mention disc 1...

Because that is even better. Tonight, Tonight, Zero, BWBW, To Forgive, An ode to no one, Love, Galapogos, Muzzle.... Nearly the entire disc! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I struggled with early RHCP - I didn't go in for that masculine bonhomie - but when Frusicante joined they soared. Most virtuoso guitarists bore the shite out of me but I find his playing really expressive and interesting. He's an artist in my book - melodic songwriter and great bv's

• skaguitarskaguitar Frets: 966
    I saw the chilli peppers at Knebworth 5 or 6 years ago

they were shit
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom