SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB 20-50w valve combo

EvoEvo Frets: 308
Here's the wishlist guys, come at me with what you've got up to "around" 1k.

I like words like: Mesa, Friedman, Brunetti, EL34, EL84, versatile, compact, 112 and at least more than one channel

I don't like words like: Blackstar, Fender, vintage, heavy, step down transformer and while I like the spec, I'm looking for something different to the h&k Meister's.

Looking for something to use for rehearsals and small gigs where my Mesa TC50 and 212 is overkill. A built in solo boost is nice, but not a deal breaker. A proper clean is essential, along with a good drive channel.

Let's see what you've got! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RevMattRevMatt Frets: 837
    This may sit somewhere between your likes / dislikes list bit I'll throw it out there... Light and very compact, EL84 powered Engl Gigmaster 15 combo. Maybe a little industrial looking but German build quality, superb cleans and a wide ranging dirty channel. Has a mid boost option too. 15 watts in a 1x10 package but sounds bigger, and not all all like the Blackstar HTs I've owned. Just had new TAD power valves and service/pat test. You'll find it in the classifieds...
  • If you want to try something a little "different" (and are happy to go new, somewhat rare used as yet) then I would suggest trying the PRS Sonzera amps - 20w and 50w available, two channels, etc. My 20w combo is used at home and for jams and does a fine job with plenty in reserve. EL34s in the 50 watter.
  • moogmusicmoogmusic Frets: 10
    edited April 2018
    I love the Egnater Tweaker - 15W sounds awesome or there's a 40W if you want something bigger/multi-channel.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24841
    I have a mint Mesa Lonestar Special that I ‘might’ want to sell. PM me if you’re interested.
  • EvoEvo Frets: 308
    Thanks for the offer Matt, but I'm not sure a 15w would have the headroom I'd need if I were to gig it. I had a Laney 15w valve amp which was great but just couldn't funk it up at higher volumes. I fear the Engl would have the same issue, especially through a 110. I'll look into the sonzeras, haven't really heard much about them.

Also, I'll shoot you a message Richard...
  • RevMattRevMatt Frets: 837
    Evo said:
    Thanks for the offer Matt, but I'm not sure a 15w would have the headroom I'd need if I were to gig it.

I do have a Marshall 4x12 that I could do a good deal on too, but that would kind of defeat the object ;-) For what it's worth, it's incredibly loud and the new TAD EL84s have really given it a lot of headroom - comparable to my Mesa DC2 (22 watts) and Carvin V3M (on the 22 watt setting).
  • dts67dts67 Frets: 195
    Rivera m60 ? Stunning cleans, Mesa MK1 drive, switchable effects loop that can be used as a solo boost ?
  • How come no Blackstar?

Have you tried the handwired Artisans (not the current pcb-based Artists)? I have the 15w combo for sale because it's far too loud for me these days (I used it in a 10 piece band with 4 singers and a brass section & it was still loud). It has two channels and I'm including the matching tube reverb unit and a custom made cover from Hot Covers. 

You're welcome to come and try it & I'm only just up the road from you at J26 (near Ikea retail park) so drop your missus there for an hour and call in for a brew!). If you don't like it, no sweat.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4190
    dts67 said:
    Rivera m60 ? Stunning cleans, Mesa MK1 drive, switchable effects loop that can be used as a solo boost ?
    Shame I couldn’t tempt you with my Strat and some cash my way ;), that’s a lovely amp :)
  • EvoEvo Frets: 308
    In all honesty, I know squat about the Rivera so I'll consult with my good friends Google and YouTube for that one.

As for Blackstar, I haven't tried the artisans. The main reason I excluded them is just because I've never played one that excited me. The artisan may well be the one that changes it all so I'll give it a look and see how it sounds
  • As for Blackstar, I haven't tried the artisans. The main reason I excluded them is just because I've never played one that excited me. The artisan may well be the one that changes it all so I'll give it a look and see how it sounds
    I think you may be surprised. Give me a shout if you’d like to try. Like I said before, no problem if you’re not into it.