Cleaning Lacquered Tweed

What's Hot
JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
Got a rather jolly, scratching an itch amp incoming, but from the pictures on eBay it looks like there’s a few grubby patches on it. Honest wear I don’t mind, but stains of uncertain provenance? Let’s get the marigolds on and see whether we can tidy them up a bit.

Anyone know of a good, tried and tested way to clean these things? I’m wary of anything solvent based as I suspect it might interact with the lacquer and/or the adhesive in a sub-optimal fashion. Damp cloths ok? Bit of fairy liquid?

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    My 59 Bassman had a big black seemingly Boot mark on the cab. The shop had tried all sorts to clean it off and failed. I got it off completely with Mold Remover, but as contains bleach do so sparingly and it small areas only until confident.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    My 59 Bassman had a big black seemingly Boot mark on the cab. The shop had tried all sorts to clean it off and failed. I got it off completely with Mold Remover, but as contains bleach do so sparingly and it small areas only until confident.
    The stuff you use to get rid of mildewy crap round the bath and shower? 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    OK!  Thanks!

Said amp has to go into dry dock for a while but once it's out...  Let the cleaning commence.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    Check with the builder - I believe in this case he uses garden fence treatment rather than nitro to give it a more aged / caramelised look? ..if that’s the case, it might be pretty tough :-)
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    SunDevil said:
    Check with the builder - I believe in this case he uses garden fence treatment rather than nitro to give it a more aged / caramelised look? ..if that’s the case, it might be pretty tough :-)
    OK: more creosote
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    edited April 2018
     DO NOT USE CREOSOTE!!

Creosote is no longer available anyway, BUT if you find any up the back of the shed DO NOT USE IT on your amp/garden chairs etc

Reason is that it is a distillate of COAL TAR with Phenolic Acid and apart from burning skin/eyes, it creeps and bleeds into anything it comes in contact with and NEVER DRIES.

Everywhere you stand your amp or brush against it - it will leave an indelible brown stain.

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer