Water Rats 2nd Jun 2018 Running Order - DOORS OPEN 1130

What's Hot

Comments

• slackerslacker Frets: 2196
    pmbomb said:
    I already learnt the intro mini solo @slacker and am working on the main/middle one. 

Would you be up for doing the long outro solo? Starts about 3:00 on the record? Needs a deft touch (I don't have) as it's over the singer and drives the song to conclusion.
    ok will do thanks
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12203
    I hope I speak for all the idiots going when I say I was hoping to turn up with one guitar and possibly a lead and plug it in where I'm told when I'm told, then turn my volume knob really low so no-one can hear my laughable attempts at keeping up with the song.

Is that how its going down?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27308
    munckee said:
    I hope I speak for all the idiots going when I say I was hoping to turn up with one guitar and possibly a lead and plug it in where I'm told when I'm told, then turn my volume knob really low so no-one can hear my laughable attempts at keeping up with the song.

If only everyone had that idea - the organiser's life would be so much easier
    ;)

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    munckee said:

*swoon* my hero
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2196
    TTony said:
    munckee said:

If only everyone had that idea - the organiser's life would be so much easier
    ;)

I will try to add some context as someone who a loves my own amps b loves pedals and c has very little confidence.

A playing this set through any of the marhalls should be a joy.
    B too many pedal changes will cause problems. I suggest that in each set we work out the minimum changes. If someone is playing in a set once they can fit in with what's there. If more than once they could leave a board  set up.I don't mind doing this in my sets and I can build a board with 4 drives.anyone should be able to find a sound.If not we could use the old volume knob trick.
    C  I got a lot out of putting myself through the quad songs,was encouraged and gained a bit of confidence.

I can see this becoming more of a sound check than a jam. Let's make it work plan well and solve problems as they come.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11613
    It will be a lot of fun pedals or no pedals.

Shame I have to drive home or I could really get into the Oasis frame of mind and play loudly through a Marshall while plastered.

New slogan "Fretboard jammers do it straight to the amp..."  ?
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6588
    mrkb said:
    Back on topic - @alnico - do you have a preferred way of ending comfortably numb? The record fades out so need to work out some other way to end it so I can get my drumming to end at the same time as the rest of you.
    @alnico - can you advise on this please. How do you plan on ending Comfy?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    mrkb said:
    mrkb said:
    Back on topic - @alnico - do you have a preferred way of ending comfortably numb? The record fades out so need to work out some other way to end it so I can get my drumming to end at the same time as the rest of you.
    Mark,....Sorry I haven't seen this previously, things have been hectic.

I think we should end it like they do here in this clip.

6:23 for the ascending run of string bending which signals "Get Ready for the ending lick", then the ending lick at 6:39 is played right at the very top end of the neck. It's the only time in the 2nd solo that anything is played that high and its played over the Bm and A chords...
    Those two licks are the "Contact Point" for everyone to get ready to end the song.

That leads into the G, F#, Em chord sequence where everything slows down rapidly and then we finish on the Bm and as much big ending riffs as you want.

This is how PF and Gilmour have almost always ended this song and it's a nice easy way to do it.

How does everyone feel about that?
    Hope I've explained it ok?

Alnico said:
    mrkb said:
    mrkb said:

6:23 for the ascending run of string bending which signals "Get Ready for the ending lick", then the ending lick at 6:39 is played right at the very top end of the neck. It's the only time in the 2nd solo that anything is played that high and its played over the Bm and A chords...
    Those two licks are the "Contact Point" for everyone to get ready to end the song.

That leads into the G, F#, Em chord sequence where everything slows down rapidly and then we finish on the Bm and as much big ending riffs as you want.

This is how PF and Gilmour have almost always ended this song and it's a nice easy way to do it.

Ok - will play along to that video a few times to get the hang of the ending. That solo isn’t as per the record so are you not going for an exact copy (which I thought you were going to do initially)? That’s fine with me, I just need to work out how to end it.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Have just listened to that a few times - am happy to end it that way. It’s also good to hear his drummer doesn’t play it exactly as per the record either, so the odd additional kick or snare ghost note won’t be out of place- it will actually help me to learn to ad-lib a bit as I know the track pretty well now.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    edited May 2018
    mrkb said:
    Alnico said:
    mrkb said:
    mrkb said:

Ok - will play along to that video a few times to get the hang of the ending. That solo isn’t as per the record so are you not going for an exact copy (which I thought you were going to do initially)? That’s fine with me, I just need to work out how to end it.
    None of the live versions are as per the studio recording because that fades out and the live version can't. 
    The solo can be pretty much the same as the LP until we get to that section which ends the song.

All it really needs is what's in that video above. Just keep playing the chords and drums as per normal until you get a nod from me and you hear that ascending riff at 6:23.
    That means next time around is the last and as per what happens at 6:39, the very last time we only play the Bm and A chords before we look to you to slow us down and lead us into the last 4 chords and the big ending.

Have I explained that correctly? 
    Or I could just switch the power off?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yep, I’m happy with that ending (as I’d get an acoustic drum solo!)........ or @alnicos suggestion works as well.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    Yep, I’m happy with that ending (as I’d get an acoustic drum solo)
    Ok, power goes at 2:17.
    :D

We can run through the ending before we start if you like? 
    It's only a minute or two to play loosely through and "get it" on the day.

Whenever there's a song with an uncertain part in it, a quick play through that section beforehand can often shed lots of light.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11613
    This whole chat made me think of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BK50DWlGkQ
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Alnico said:

That just sounds wrong
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:
    Alnico said:

That just sounds wrong
    Never trust a man who will rush to the ending before you start........
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    TTony said:
    Alnico said:

That just sounds wrong
    Never trust a man who will rush to the ending before you start........
    Hahaha,

Whilst I'm sure you knew what I meant, yes it sounds wrong but it'll help if anyone is in doubt.

...and no, don't trust me.
    I don't !

:)
This discussion has been closed.