preamp recommendations

have a vintage v300 which I sometimes put a cheap soundhole pickup in and it doesn't sound too bad. was thinking of trying it with a preamp but don't want to start cutting holes in it, any recommendations for an inexpensive external type preamp, to not permanently affix to guitar pref £60 or less. ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2927
    I've got a Fishman GII, which is nice and cheap, but rugged and sounds fairly good. Obviously it's not as good as the higher-end LR Baggs stuff, but it'll do a job.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    I've got an old Fishman Pro EQ* which is pretty good, you should be able to pick one up second hand for about that or less.

(*At least I would have if I could get it back off the girl I lent it to a couple of years ago!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• where do these things go, do they just sit on the floor or can they be mounted on the strap, excuse me if this is a daft question, none of the ads show this.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    The Fishman comes with a belt clip, but I doubt it would be secure enough on a strap unless you used gaffer tape or a zip tie as well.

You can just put it on the floor or on top of the amp too, but only if you're not going to move around much - you need to keep the cable from the pickup to the preamp as short as possible for the best sound quality, although it's much more critical with a piezo-type pickup than a magnetic. (Under a couple of metres, ideally.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• belt clip seems the best bet then, on the floor id tread on it, on top of amp, too far away.