Amber Rudd

What's Hot

Comments

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 11495
    Fretwired said:
    The knives are out .. send for International Rescue ...

Are you sure? 

https://i.imgur.com/HWnHo8v.png
    Clarity over quantity.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 16993
    Miliband would probably do a better job .. :-)
    My pump-action drivel gun is smoking hot today!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • oafoaf Frets: 166
    edited April 30
    His first act was to go for a power pose that looked slightly silly...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    edited April 30
    oaf said:
    His first act was to go for a power pose that looked slightly silly...

He may as well hand his notice in now then. Two individuals went for the power pose during the 2016 Conservative conference. Look how their political careers have gone...

http://worldnews.easybranches.com/news/2018/04/750x495/sajid-javid-adopts-the-power-pose-outside-the-home-office-895655.jpg

Clarity over quantity.  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 1724
    They've obviously been advised by some expensive image consultant that it's the way to behave, but they look ridiculous.  Hasn't anyone around them got the balls to tell them that they look like prize Hamptons?
    Self-confessed Blues Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • oafoaf Frets: 166
    Yes, very strange when you need someone to tell you how to stand (and then believe them when they say that standing like that makes you look good!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    The power pose is one of the more pathetic elements of politics in the last few years. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/george-osborne-tory-conference-power-pose-expert-says-no-effect-a7334561.html
    Clarity over quantity.  
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 1724
    The power pose is one of the more pathetic elements of politics in the last few years. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/george-osborne-tory-conference-power-pose-expert-says-no-effect-a7334561.html
    "Looking like a Twat Makes You Look like a Twat Shock"
    Self-confessed Blues Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 1504

Definitely three Alpha males there.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1041

Definitely three Alpha males there.
    All I can say is WTF is that shit? I haven't met anyone yet who think this is anything other than laughable, maybe their stance advisors are just taking the piss. The Hood bloke looks like he's a little man trying to look big, Osbourne looks like a lame animal that needs putting down and May looks like she's about to drop a shit out. Depressing this what politics involves these days.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3008
    Fretwired said:
    From the Telegraph a few minutes ago:

Amber Rudd resigned on Sunday night as Home Secretary after a leaked letter revealed she had set out plans to increase removals of immigrants despite telling MPs she did not know about targets.

Downing Street confirmed Ms Rudd had stepped down after a week of intense pressure over the Windrush scandal, which saw Caribbean immigrants threatened with deportation after they were unable to prove their right to live and work in Britain.

Just two days earlier she vowed to stay on and help reform her department. Her insistence that she did not know about targets for removing immigrants was undermined on Sunday by a leaked letter she wrote to the Prime Minister.

In the letter, written more than a year ago, Ms Rudd sets out her plans to increase removals by 10 per cent, appearing to contradict her earlier denial to MPs.

The four-page letter was sent to Theresa May in January 2017. In it, Ms Rudd outlined her plan to “deliver the 10 per cent uplift in enforced removals over the next few years”. She laid out in some detail the structural changes she was putting in place at the Home Office to meet the target.

However, in front of the home affairs select committee last week she insisted under questioning that “we don’t have targets for removals”, adding: “That’s not how we operate.”

She has to resign her seat. This is disgraceful. The woman has lied through her teeth.

I thought she was just trying to deport more people that had broke the law
    is that a bad thing?

if every politician that lied had to resign we wouldn't have any at all

play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Clarky said:
    Fretwired said:
    From the Telegraph a few minutes ago:

Amber Rudd resigned on Sunday night as Home Secretary after a leaked letter revealed she had set out plans to increase removals of immigrants despite telling MPs she did not know about targets.

Downing Street confirmed Ms Rudd had stepped down after a week of intense pressure over the Windrush scandal, which saw Caribbean immigrants threatened with deportation after they were unable to prove their right to live and work in Britain.

Just two days earlier she vowed to stay on and help reform her department. Her insistence that she did not know about targets for removing immigrants was undermined on Sunday by a leaked letter she wrote to the Prime Minister.

In the letter, written more than a year ago, Ms Rudd sets out her plans to increase removals by 10 per cent, appearing to contradict her earlier denial to MPs.

The four-page letter was sent to Theresa May in January 2017. In it, Ms Rudd outlined her plan to “deliver the 10 per cent uplift in enforced removals over the next few years”. She laid out in some detail the structural changes she was putting in place at the Home Office to meet the target.

However, in front of the home affairs select committee last week she insisted under questioning that “we don’t have targets for removals”, adding: “That’s not how we operate.”

She has to resign her seat. This is disgraceful. The woman has lied through her teeth.

I thought she was just trying to deport more people that had broke the law
    is that a bad thing?

if every politician that lied had to resign we wouldn't have any at all

Excellent news. We could then recruit some people who tell the truth. In my company if you tell big porkies to cover up incompetence you get sacked. Why should politicians be exempt?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    that would be great.
  • randellarandella Frets: 1848
    Fretwired said:

Excellent news. We could then recruit some people who tell the truth. In my company if you tell big porkies to cover up incompetence you get sacked. Why should politicians be exempt?
    I think there's a line here.

There's telling lies about buying luxury flats, and there's keeping quiet about some of the more unsavoury but essential aspects of how the country's run.

One should be out-and-out punishable, the other I suspect is necessary to keep the unwashed (us) from rioting in the streets.

I know how the country's run

By the rich and powerful , for the rich and powerful.

No different to Africa

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    edited May 1

On the face of it, yes - but deep down you don't, and nor do I.  I would imagine there to be some incredibly unpleasant decisions which have been made down the years by senior politicians of all political stripes.  It's why we have an official secrets act.

This is different from the vacuous fuckwittery that goes on regarding tax-light buy-to-let portfolios and spurious jollies on yachts belonging to newspaper owners, which needs stamping out with immediate effect.

Interestingly, when the MPs expenses scandal kicked off a few years ago, I heard an interview on R4 with both an Italian and a German politician.  They were asked if British MPs were generally regarded as having integrity - the German answered that Yes, they are - the Italian guy clearly thought of his own government and pissed himself laughing before agreeing with the German chap.
    edited May 1
    randella said:

On the face of it, yes - but deep down you don't, and nor do I.  I would imagine there to be some incredibly unpleasant decisions which have been made down the years by senior politicians of all political stripes.  It's why we have an official secrets act.

Agreed, BUT all Rudd had to do (as I said elsewhere) is to say yes there are targets, as we estimate there are one million illegal migrants in the UK, but we are sorry as we've cocked up with the Windrush generation and we'll put that right. Now there might have been a storm about targets but that's something that Rudd could have survived as many people on both sides of the Commons and in the country think removing illegal immigrants is a just thing to do.

However, she said there were no targets and then got caught out when a memo written and signed by her to the PM which mentioned targets came to light. The truth maybe uncomfortable and most people will accept that people are fallible but lying to parliament is a step too far.
    edited May 1
    Fretwired said:
    randella said:

Agreed, BUT all Rudd had to do (as I said elsewhere) is to say yes there are targets, as we estimate there are one million illegal migrants in the UK, but we are sorry as we've cocked up with the Windrush generation and we'll put that right. Now there might have been a storm about targets but that's something that Rudd could have survived as many people on both sides of the Commons and in the country think removing illegal immigrants is a just thing to do.

However, she said there were no targets and then got caught out when a memo written and signed by her to the PM which mentioned targets came to light. The truth maybe uncomfortable and most people will accept that people are fallible but lying to parliament is a step too far.
    Yep, I'm with you - sheer incompetence followed by lying in a vain attempt to cover tracks, which in Randella's charter will be covered by point B ('fuckwittery').

Speaking of which, May's dodging that bullet rather nicely.  She's played a blinder here, she must have Teflon shoulders.
    Could they afford another leadership battle or election?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 32861
    Rudd's fall is exactly in the John Profumo category of it not being what she did which was the problem, it was the stupidity of lying to Parliament about it... only without the call-girl and the Russian Naval Attaché, so much less interesting.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    Good question.  Who knows?

With the opposition this weak they've got a lot more latitude for buggering about than they normally would have.

I suspect they'd have a better chance of weathering a leadership battle than a general election.  I don't know about anyone else but I'm pretty electioned out for the time being.  I don't think going to the polls would do them a great deal of good.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1041
    randella said:
    Good question.  Who knows?

With the opposition this weak they've got a lot more latitude for buggering about than they normally would have.

I suspect they'd have a better chance of weathering a leadership battle than a general election.  I don't know about anyone else but I'm pretty electioned out for the time being.  I don't think going to the polls would do them a great deal of good.
    Isn't that what 'Strong and Stable' thought last April?
    Strong and Stable indeed. Three elections in a short space of time is not indicative of strong and stable. 

Going to the polls with May as leader... laugh a fucking minute. How is she going to inspire anyone? She will quit, the markets will go all squiffy for a bit, and then we'll have an Etonian brought in to replace her, either the blonde mop or the Honourable Member for the Cretaceous Period. Then itll be Brexit bandwagon time, jolly old England, rah rah rah. 
    Clarity over quantity.  
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9005
    randella said:
    I heard an interview on R4 with both an Italian and a German politician.  They were asked if British MPs were generally regarded as having integrity - the German answered that Yes, they are - the Italian guy clearly thought of his own government and pissed himself laughing before agreeing with the German chap.
    Whereas an Italian guy I used to work with said this (or words to this effect):

"We have corruption in our country. Everyone knows that's how the system works. We still have our wine, pizzas, nice wimmin, Ducatis, Ferraris and the like, we just get on with it. Whereas in your country you pretend there's no corruption, and then you get all uptight about it when you find that reality does not match your pretence".

He's right, except that we don't have much wine, most of the pizzas aren't that good, only some of the wimmin are good enough for the milf thread, and not many of us can afford Ducatis or Ferraris.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    randella said:
    I heard an interview on R4 with both an Italian and a German politician.  They were asked if British MPs were generally regarded as having integrity - the German answered that Yes, they are - the Italian guy clearly thought of his own government and pissed himself laughing before agreeing with the German chap.

"We have corruption in our country. Everyone knows that's how the system works. We still have our wine, pizzas, nice wimmin, Ducatis, Ferraris and the like, we just get on with it. Whereas in your country you pretend there's no corruption, and then you get all uptight about it when you find that reality does not match your pretence".

He's right, except that we don't have much wine, most of the pizzas aren't that good, only some of the wimmin are good enough for the milf thread, and not many of us can afford Ducatis or Ferraris.

I've been to Italy plenty of times.  Bloody love the place.  Mind you, maybe I should have gone to your buddy's town, because the places I have been I saw a largely normal-looking population, driving a selection of cars similar to that you'd see in any other European country including (for the time being) our own.

There is corruption in our government, and in the press who can be complicit.  I would never pretend otherwise and it needs weeding out where it's found.  I would prefer that to having a much more corrupt government and just not giving a shit.

As for wine, grapes need sunshine.  That's a little like sneering at the Swiss for the poor quality of their beaches.

randella said:

Italy's virtually bankrupt as so few people pay tax ... :-)

But we do have cider, pizza is pretty universal, we gave the world Diana Rigg, and I'd rather have an Aston Martin Vantage than a Ferrari.

Clarity over quantity.  
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 2176
    Italy - great place for a holiday. Shit place to live.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 2319
    May now using the whip to get Conservative MPs to oppose humble address motion to get Windrush-related documents released to the Commons home affairs committee.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/may/02/conservative-mps-told-to-vote-against-windrush-documents-motion

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9005
    But we do have cider, pizza is pretty universal, we gave the world Diana Rigg, and I'd rather have an Aston Martin Vantage than a Ferrari.

Yes, plus we have ale, and I'd rather have something I can chuck stuff in the back of and either a Ferrari or an Aston Martin. As for giving the world Diana Rigg, can we have her back please?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself