Best distortion pedal for a plexi

What's Hot
kelpbedskelpbeds Frets: 182
Got a JMP 50 Watt Plexi Head. I'm using a Maxon overdrive and Carl Martin Plexitone through it which both work really well for an overdriven sound. But I can't get a distorted sound I like. Currently using a Boss DS1, have tried a MXR Fullbore Metal (which was terrible!) 
The sound is just thin and doesn't cut through. Any suggestions?
Ta
Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• What volume? At high volume, a ds-1 will push a crunchy plexi into a great, cutting, sustaining lead tone  

If you want crunchy rhythm you will want something a bit thicker  
  • kelpbedskelpbeds Frets: 182
    I want more of a full on distorted sound - at fairly high volumes. Don't really want crunchy sound more a thicker distorted sound.
    thanks
    Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    Boss SD-1 into DS-1. Instant hard rock/metal harmonic mayhem.

Or if you haven’t tried stacking the Maxon into the DS-1 yet, do that first...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

so maxon first then ds1? I've got ds1 into maxon at the mo.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited April 2018
    A good Klone with the volume up very high and then bring up the pedals gain to thicken to taste

kelpbeds said:
    so maxon first then ds1? I've got ds1 into maxon at the mo.
    Yes, definitely overdrive into distortion, not the other way round.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ok cool thanks
  • Have a listen to the recent “That Pedal Show” on this very subject. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Nice one - thanks
  • jaysmithjaysmith Frets: 27
    Maybe something like a Friedman BE pedal or EVH 5150 overdrive would suit ?

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4999
    I have an MXR 78 custom badass. It's based on the ds1 but sounds better the  the one I have. May well be worth having a look at. 
    Thanks chaps
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    The OCD can get nice and thick with the gain up above halfway. 
  • HoofHoof Frets: 491
    OCD, Rat, WH Fat Sandwich. All these work really well on mine.
  • Take a look at the DS1X. Totally different beast from the DS1 and much beefier. I have a 1x12 with a V30 in it yet the DS1X makes it thump like a 4x12 with ample bottom end.
    Take a look at the DS1X. Totally different beast from the DS1 and much beefier. I have a 1x12 with a V30 in it yet the DS1X makes it thump like a 4x12 with ample bottom end.
    I just tried one of those - I liked the extra thump, but for me it had a very irritating 'separation' between the distortion and an underlying cleaner sound, so it sounds like a layer of fizz on top. It's something I find with most analogue solid-state distortion too, so I was hoping it might be different.

• polotskapolotska Frets: 116
    ICBM said:
    Take a look at the DS1X. Totally different beast from the DS1 and much beefier. I have a 1x12 with a V30 in it yet the DS1X makes it thump like a 4x12 with ample bottom end.
    I just tried one of those - I liked the extra thump, but for me it had a very irritating 'separation' between the distortion and an underlying cleaner sound, so it sounds like a layer of fizz on top. It's something I find with most analogue solid-state distortion too, so I was hoping it might be different.
    I had the same experience with an OD-1X recently—I thought the basic sound of the overdrive was good (if a little characterless) and it had a nice dynamic response, but it has the same sort of separation that you describe. I had specifically hoped that it would be better in that respect than analog overdrives, but sadly that wasn’t the case.