How to stop the Orange Tiny Terror being a fizzy middy mess?

ricorico Frets: 1220
I picked up one of these a while back any only just plugged it in yesterday and I was underwhelmed to say the least. Not only is it very quiet but with the gain above 2/3rds it is a mid-tastic fizz. It's into a 2x12.

Would changing the pre-amp valves have any impact?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    Although I'm not the biggest fan of these, it sounds like that one might not be working right. I do find them very middy and compressed, but not particularly fizzy - if anything, a bit muddy - and quite loud... although not for clean headroom, or compared to a typical 30W+ amp.

What are the speakers in the 2x12"? (I assume the cab sounds OK with other amps.)

What type of preamp and power valves does it have?

Do all the valves appear to be working?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• chromatunachromatuna Frets: 368
    Not my experience with the TT either
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Hmm - interesting. Maybe I will try it with another cab (this one has V30's) as I just plugged in my Marshall and that doesn't sound quite right either. I will check the valves and get back to you. It's 15w @ICBM ;)
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I used a TT combo for rehearsals for most of last year, it was always a great plug and play amp.

i would recommend Sovtek EL84s, the current JJ version is not a very good valve, the Sovtek is much stronger and full sounding. You can get more headroom and clarity by switching the second preamp valve to a 5751, it also reigns in the prominent mid frequencies.

the v30 or t75 is best if you’re after band volumes, but the TT is best paired with an H30 for every other application, it’s just more balanced with that speaker.
    rico said:
    Hmm - interesting. Maybe I will try it with another cab (this one has V30's) as I just plugged in my Marshall and that doesn't sound quite right either. I will check the valves and get back to you. It's 15w @ICBM ;)
    Yes, I know ;). But it still doesn't have as much clean headroom as some other amps in that power range - which isn't a problem, if you don't play clean.

Could the speakers be wired out of phase? That will give low volume and a thin, fizzy tone.

timmysoft said:

i would recommend Sovtek EL84s, the current JJ version is not a very good valve, the Sovtek is much stronger and full sounding.
    I would say the exact opposite. The JJ is the most reliable of the modern EL84s and slightly less congested-sounding. I really do not like Sovteks...

timmysoft said:

the v30 or t75 is best if you’re after band volumes, but the TT is best paired with an H30 for every other application, it’s just more balanced with that speaker.
    Totally agreed - in fact, all Oranges are. Or an H30 with a Greenback in a 2x12". The Creamback 65/75 pair is also excellent, a bit tighter and darker but still a lot more open and balanced than V30s.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    rico said:
    Yes, I know ;). But it still doesn't have as much clean headroom as some other amps in that power range - which isn't a problem, if you don't play clean.

Could the speakers be wired out of phase? That will give low volume and a thin, fizzy tone.

timmysoft said:

i would recommend Sovtek EL84s, the current JJ version is not a very good valve, the Sovtek is much stronger and full sounding.
    I would say the exact opposite. The JJ is the most reliable of the modern EL84s and slightly less congested-sounding. I really do not like Sovteks...

timmysoft said:

Totally agreed - in fact, all Oranges are. Or an H30 with a Greenback in a 2x12". The Creamback 65/75 pair is also excellent, a bit tighter and darker but still a lot more open and balanced than V30s.
    I’ve found the JJ  to be the worst, the Czech TAD and current Sovtek/EH have given me no problems. The JJs can’t handle my budda at all, which is pretty hard on the old EL84s.
    Interesting! I've also had no trouble with TADs, but an endless stream of blown Sovteks in everything from Voxes to Blues Juniors to Oranges...

Technical question I know - and you may or may not know the answer! - but is the Budda hard on them because of plate dissipation, or voltage? I'm not familiar with them.

Or it may just be small-sample-size randomness!

ICBM said:
    Interesting! I've also had no trouble with TADs, but an endless stream of blown Sovteks in everything from Voxes to Blues Juniors to Oranges...

Technical question I know - and you may or may not know the answer! - but is the Budda hard on them because of plate dissipation, or voltage? I'm not familiar with them.

Or it may just be small-sample-size randomness!
    The SuperDrive 18, was designed to run very hot (enough to need a fan), the designer actually recommends the Sovtek because of their ability to handle that heat. The later peavey built buddas use JJ’s, but most users complain of short valve life and many failures.

i don’t really like any JJ valves, apart from their 5751 which is superb. 
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I have a Tiny Terror that I haven't played for a while, I played it through an Orange 2x12 with V30's and it sounded fine, crap cleans but wound up it sounded ok, not that inspiring but not bad either.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    Just plug it into one speaker instead of two. Use a single M magnet speaker, or better still a single S magnet speaker. Because to get a good tone out of a TT you have to drive the speaker pretty hard (in my opinion).

Never have the volume at less than 12 o clock, and never have the gain at more than 1 o clock. This should give you a nice and full sounding tone that is not fizzy. If you need more over-drive use a good pedal, instead of the amp gain.
    Whipped the top off - JJ valves all round and they all appear to be working. 

Just plug it into one speaker instead of two. Use a single M magnet speaker, or better still a single S magnet speaker. Because to get a good tone out of a TT you have to drive the speaker pretty hard (in my opinion).

Never have the volume at less than 12 o clock, and never have the gain at more than 1 o clock. This should give you a nice and full sounding tone that is not fizzy. If you need more over-drive use a good pedal, instead of the amp gain.
    I did some tweaking and with the volume on about 3 o'clock and gain on 1 o'clock and it sounded pretty good actually. Just nowhere near loud enough to get over a drummer. Matamp has spoiled me!
    Used it today at rehearsal through a 4x12 and it was pretty great actually. Just needs to be louder.