Smooth hound with low wound PAF??

mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
Anyone used the Smooth Hound wireless with any underwound paf copies??? 

Only ask as i have a schennheiser unit which reviews quite well but due to the massive dynamics/headroom available (esspecially on neck pup) I can get it nowhere near the output level of just a cable into amp.   As soon as i try and turn up base station to try and match or get close to same volume into amp as cable gives me it just makes clipping light go mad...  Tried changing volume at transmitter up and down to no avail.

So anyway was thinking of trying the smooth hound option but wanted to see if others have used with underwound paf (about 7.2k) and have had any issues with matching output level of just a cable.

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    I have three smoothhound transmitters and one receiver. Typical live setup is 70s strat, 52AVRI Tele and ES335. Pick up guitar and press on then play. Press off put down guitar and pick up the next, very slick. There is a difference in signal going in so the 335 will usually have the guitar volumes way down so it evens out better on the input to the pedal board. But if I turn it up full it doesn't overdrive the link.
    Other than selecting the cable option in the receiver to tame the highs It's standarn out of the box config.
    Does that help?
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    edited May 2018
    Kinda, some really good info, though hopefully also hear from someone with underwound as seems to be a lot more dynamic than hotter pickups.  Shame it doesn't have a way to alter volume on transmitter so guitar volumes can all be set similar for similar volume at amp (thought would be handy).  But as long as it doesn't clip trying to get my pickups to same volume as using a cable i can forgive other stuff
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    Actually, thinking about it, can you even set the level on the transmitter? I don't think you can.

I know on some of the Senny's you can alter the transmitter gain (usually by trim pot or whatever) 
    welshboyo said:
    Actually, thinking about it, can you even set the level on the transmitter? I don't think you can.

I know on some of the Senny's you can alter the transmitter gain (usually by trim pot or whatever) 

Nope you can't... Be a nice feature for people using multiple guitars with multiple transmitters...
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    The Smoothhound is as close to using a cable as I have ever experienced on a wireless system. If your guitar is lower/higher output on a cable it will be exactly the same on the Smoothound. You need to compensate at the receiving end. For example, I have a graphic at the front of my chain which boosts the output and tweaks the EQ very slightly for when I switch between single coils and humbuckers.
    Thanks everyone... Bought a s/h one off @welshboyo on here...  Looking forward to trying it out :)