Recommend me a new amp for practice at home

What's Hot
xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
My son has commandeered my old Roland Microcube so now seems as good a time as any to invest in a new small home amp.

Any recommendations?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    I use fender superchamp xd and Vox Valvetronix. Both have built in effects and are pretty small.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Yamaha THR10. Looks great, sounds superb, easy to record with, easy to use with headphone, aux in as well. I play a lot more at home after getting mine.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    Fender Princeton. :)

Pricey, but my nicest ever home sound, I now practice plugged in all the time.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33796
    Diezel VH4.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    is physical size a key issue ?   bigger amps are often way better and hugely more versatile than small (especially valve) amps............. if space is an issue and all you want to do is noodle and have fun -  Yamaha THR
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    If it's just you and you don't need a lot of volume then the yamaha thr must be at the top of the list - mine gets used all the time and it's perfect for home use.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    edited March 2014
    I own a Yamaha THR and a Fender Mustang 2. I've had a Cube 30 too.
    All have great attributes in my opinion but the THR pips them all in terms if toneability, size and functions. However I can't get rid of my Mustang as the cleans are gorgeous.
  • Ianb62Ianb62 Frets: 22
    Bugera V5
    decent reverb
    easy to mod
    built in attenuator!
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6131
    tFB Trader
    defiantly a Marshall 1959 Handwired with 2x 4x12" cabs..............:)

actually a yamaha thr10 is probably perfect although i just got the line6 amplify 75 and think its an excellent amp for the house.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Fender Blues Deville would be perfect for you....

whats that? Yes I do have one for sale :-D

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    THR10 all day and every day, easy to stuff behind the sofa and small enough not to be a pita 
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    I'll pitch in with the Marshall MG10CF.

It's minimal on features (clean/OD channels with a gain, vol and contour controls, along with CD/MP3/headphone jacks) but for the money - around £60 - it sounds brilliant and is very compact.

Recently downsized my amp as it was too loud/bulky, so I had the MG for Christmas and it's more than sufficient for me as I'm not bothered about bells and whistles.
  • wordywordy Frets: 67

depends on the volume you can play at I reckon.

Still would always choose to play through my Egnater Tweaker when I can at least play a good bit louder than the tv.  Others I would consider would be the Mustang, Line 6 DT25, Superchamp X2, H&K Tubemeister/Grandmeister, Tech 21 Trademark 30.

For lower volumes than that I like the THR too.

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    The little Vox amps are really good.  I use a Vox DA5, it's great.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    thorpy6 said:
    defiantly a Marshall 1959 Handwired with 2x 4x12" cabs..............:)

Definitely the correct term :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    @ICBM Well it would be a case of defiantly if I paid a lot for one, stuck it in the corner of the living room in front of the tv and cranked it. I'd be defying the missus, the kids, the neighbour, and Plod.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give that Yamaha a try since so.many seem to rate it. I have also heard good things about the Blackstar HT1 so it might be between those two.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    Line 6 dt25 is great at all volumes, also i love my prs se 20 that is also amazing at all volumes, guitars4you currently have the combo version for next to nothing and a steal if your local enough to collect
  • DanDan Frets: 441
    Ive got both the THR 10 and Mustang 1. Really like and rate both of them but I guess THR 10 just edges it for looks and size.
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    Carvin nomad or 1x12 combo
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Blackheart... great little valve amp.  Where would you get one?

Oooh look, there's a near mint one in my sig!