Ibanez Super 70

Not sure what to do with this pickup. I've had it since I was 16 years old! I put it in the bridge of an Aria Mustangy type thing. It's followed me in every house move from country to country, occasionally popping up like it wants me to do something with it. Somewhere along the line I broke the leg, although I still have it. Also, the wire got cut short (what the hell was I thinking???). I metered it and it reads 7.5k.

Anyone heard one of these? I honestly can't remember what it's like, but they seem to have an "Internet following".  I have a Firebird pickup in the neck of my Tele, so I could throw it in there to see what I'm dealing with, but I doubt it would oust the Firebird. I don't really want to change the pickups in my Les Paul because I'm quite happy with them. Recently acquired a Hohner semi - but that would be a right pain to swap in....

As always I'm not sure if it's worth the effort to either try to repair myself or send off...Here are some pics. of my, ahem, handiwork...What is the recommended way of reattaching a pickup leg?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Nice P.A.F. clone. I'd use it as the bridge position pickup paired with a Super 58 or as the neck position pickup paired with something hot.

telehack said:
    What is the recommended way of reattaching a pickup leg?
    Buy a replacement baseplate.

If, for example, you employed the services of one of the pickup makers on this forum, they can de-cover the pickup, separate the bobbins from the baseplate, attach a new baseplate, connect new output cable and replace the cover without disturbing the coils. More importantly, the trusted maker could provide documentary proof that the pickup is genuine that potential buyers should find acceptable.

This suggestion creates less work than dismantling the pickup yourself and welding on a prosthetic lug.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2950
    Ibanez and Greco Nisshin Onpa (Maxon) pickup serial number format consisting of 5 numbers up to and including 1977. Ibanez Super 70 pickups have the same serial number format.

First number = Nisshin Onpa (Maxon) pickup code (1, 2, etc) - internal factory reference?
    Second number = Year (7=1977)
    Third number = Month (0=Jan ... 9=Oct then .=Nov, X=Dec)
    Fourth and Fifth number = Day of Month (01-31)

Moved to a 6 digit code from 77-82

So these date from 16th April 1977, if I've read that correctly.

Ibanez "Super 70" pickups made by Nisshin Onpa (Maxon) had a alnico 8 magnet. DC resistance is approximately 7.5-8.0 kilohms

(Source: ICW)

Usually, the pickup date is close to the serial date on the guitar they came with.

Some were engraved Super 70 (as here), some were not.

I've got a set in my Ibanez SG doubleneck, sound fantastic.

Send it to Ash @ Oil City Pickups for some TLC? @TheGuitarWeasel ;

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'