Gibson 330 Opinions?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• telehacktelehack Frets: 93
    I have a '65 ES-330. Nickel hardware and before they went to the narrow width necks. It's a killer guitar. A real GAS killer - every time I pick it up it kills my desire for any thing I've been lusting after. I don't gig it much, but when I have feedback was not a problem at all. I've got a typed copy of the original tuneamatic instructions and a tag from a music store in Iowa in the case pocket. This is the only pic. I have at the moment. Please excuse the jarring green carpet. Looks redder in person too. Given what Custom Shop semis are going for, I still feel these are a good value used (for vintage).

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Wow from me! Beautiful! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    That looks just like the one I played. Apart from it was later, so had the narrow neck (not that narrow tho). 

Interesting comment on the custom shop, also played a custom shop 345 and 355. Both went straight back on the wall. Not in the same league for me. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I loved my 330 - felt great and for clean and low gain sounds it was lovely.   
    I could manage the feedback without it annoying me too much but I needed a guitar that sustains better so the hollow construction meant it didn’t work for me - a shame as they are the bargain of the vintage guitar world imo. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14319
    tFB Trader
    telehack said:
    I have a '65 ES-330. Nickel hardware and before they went to the narrow width necks. It's a killer guitar. A real GAS killer - every time I pick it up it kills my desire for any thing I've been lusting after. Given what Custom Shop semis are going for, I still feel these are a good value used (for vintage).

agree that 330's from the 60's represent good value/affordable vintage in comparison to many other Gibson models from the same era - and as you say compared to C/Shop replicas
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
    So with this being a thing, are people not looking at the Collings L30lc (?)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    horsehead said:
    It has the same/similar vibe to a 330 but with Collings superb attention to detail - however at this stage I'd be surprised if anyone has played or seen one - Knowing Collings it will be a mighty fine instrument, but with a price tag above that of many vintage flavoured 330's 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27154
    I love the look of the Collings, but it's more money than a vintage ES-330, and best part of double a new one. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    @AlexO I lurve that blonde 330 ... it would look SOOOOO nice standing next to my blonde 335 ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27154
    edited May 2018
    Does this help at all?  I'm still dying for one of these since my close encounter last week. If either had been re-fretted with non-knackered wire I'd have bought it.

How good does this sound?

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • mattacjonesmattacjones Frets: 507
    edited May 2018
    The dog's b******

https://imgur.com/S0iyQq8

tFB Trader
    @AlexO I lurve that blonde 330 ... it would look SOOOOO nice standing next to my blonde 335 ;)
    come on and admit it - you just like curvy blondes
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
    horsehead said:
    It has the same/similar vibe to a 330 but with Collings superb attention to detail - however at this stage I'd be surprised if anyone has played or seen one - Knowing Collings it will be a mighty fine instrument, but with a price tag above that of many vintage flavoured 330's 
    Obviously they have one on TPS at the moment and I've seen some videos of Audley Freed playing one with the 'As the crow flies debacle
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    telehack said:i
    I have a '65 ES-330. Nickel hardware and before they went to the narrow width necks. It's a killer guitar. A real GAS killer - every time I pick it up it kills my desire for any thing I've been lusting after. I don't gig it much, but when I have feedback was not a problem at all. I've got a typed copy of the original tuneamatic instructions and a tag from a music store in Iowa in the case pocket. This is the only pic. I have at the moment. Please excuse the jarring green carpet. Looks redder in person too. Given what Custom Shop semis are going for, I still feel these are a good value used (for vintage).

I've never thought of taking my guitar and amp out with me to the golf course before....
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1098
    come on and admit it - you just like curvy blondes

Haha! Guilty as charged! 
    Are we talking about the 330 still or Mrs O ;)