Compressors

What's Hot
FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
I'm after a compressor for my pedal board - I play a Strat and I am interested in the TC Hypergravity multi-band compressor. Has anyone used one? I'm also wonder whether a Wampler Ego might be worth trying. I don't want anything that squishes and dulls the sound too much.

Recommendations?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Keeley Compressor - I've got one and it does a great job.

Or you could try Thorpyfx's Fat General - alas I don't have one, so can't comment. There is a separate thread doing the rounds: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/131148/

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    Suhr Koji or Xotic SP. I've had both and kept the Koji. For me, I've found that a blend/ mix control is key to avoiding squishing/ dulling the sound too much.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I'm also looking for a better compressor to replace my Mooer Yellow. So far have shortlisted but not tested the following:

Pigtronix Philosophers Tone
    Fairfield Accountant
    Origin Effects Cali 76

• DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    Fairfield accountant .......excellent little thing .......Watch the Robert Renman YT demo.......
  • jf122jf122 Frets: 190
    I’ve owned a few over the years and come to a couple of conclusions:

1) You don’t need to spend £300 to get a good compressor. My favourite one was an EHX White Finger that I bought for about £60 second hand.

2) Unless you need to get a specific sound, eg  country chicken picking etc, you probably don’t even need one. Plenty of great players don’t use them - Guthrie Trapp, Josh Smith, Robben Ford to name just a few.
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    I'd go with the fat general by Thorpy fx. It's the best comp I've ever used as it doesn't eat your treble response. I thought the origin cali76 was a good comp. But trying them side by side the fat general just did it for me. I find I tend to leave it switched on all the time to be honest.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Beexter said:
    Suhr Koji or Xotic SP. I've had both and kept the Koji. For me, I've found that a blend/ mix control is key to avoiding squishing/ dulling the sound too much.
    Both of these are excellent. I have the SP on my mini board and the Koji on my larger board. The Blend control is a really great feature for a compressor pedal. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Yeah, has to have a blend control for me. Xotic sp is 99gbp in guitarguitar at the moment.  Get that. 
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Keeley here also. Balance the comp and input knobs, no dulling of tone. Particularly sweet with a Strat.

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9533
    Fairfield Accountant - can boost, compress, break up your sound. One of THE best pedals Ive ever played for ‘bit o hair’ to your sound. Not neutral but warm and bloody perfect.
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335
    generally accepted wisdom is first in the chain right, before any dirt and certainly before any delay/modulation?
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Thanks guys .. lots to think about.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    edited May 2018
    Been through the Keeley Plus, TC Hypergravity, Xotic SP and Boss stuff. The only one I use now is the Mooer Yellow I got off eBay for £20.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4920
    I recently bought a Boss CP-1X - it doesn't strangle the sound.
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    prowla said:
    I recently bought a Boss CP-1X - it doesn't strangle the sound.
    As I think I said on your thread, I swear by the Boss CS3 with the Attack and Sustain disks up full, combined with a noise suppressor. It does strangle the sound, bigtime, but in a very good way.
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    jf122 said:
    2) Unless you need to get a specific sound, eg  country chicken picking etc, you probably don’t even need one. Plenty of great players don’t use them - Guthrie Trapp, Josh Smith, Robben Ford to name just a few.
    That approach only works if you're driving a valve amp hard, eg Stevie Ray Vaughan didn't use a compressor pedal AFAIK, but there's bags of compression in his sound.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jf122jf122 Frets: 190
    bigjon said:
    jf122 said:
    That approach only works if you're driving a valve amp hard, eg Stevie Ray Vaughan didn't use a compressor pedal AFAIK, but there's bags of compression in his sound.
    Agreed but that still assumes you actually want compression in your sound. Josh Smith doesn’t use one because he doesn’t want his sound to be smoothed out by one. If he plays light he wants the sound to be light, if he plays hard he wants the sound to be hard. A compressor would even out those two extremes out which is either desirable or not depending on your application.

At home levels I don’t understand the need for one most of the time. Why take away the dynamics in your playing?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Fretwired said:
    I'm also wonder whether a Wampler Ego might be worth trying. I don't want anything that squishes and dulls the sound too much.
    The Wampler Ego is exactly where my long search for a compressor stopped. 
    1)  The blend is such a useful control.
    2)  Lots of volume on tap so I can match the volume of my OD sounds to my clean if needed. 
    FWIW it's much more useful with my Jazzmaster, which is the only single coil guitar I own, but the RGs have a single which I sometimes use too so the Ego has never left the board since getting it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6060
    Been through a shed load compressors in the past 5 years or so and there are a lot of very good comps around (it's a sector of the pedal market that seems to have exploded in recent years). I could name a dozen comps that I'd be happy to use on a regular basis but after all the testing, a/bing etc there was one clear winner for me that excels at guitar, bass, hb's and single coils -

When I first saw it, it occurred to me that Keeley had ripped off the Empress design but if he did, he ironed out all the things that stopped that one from being exceptional, including upping the compression ratio to infinity, adding hard/soft knee and widening the range on Attack and Release. The Auto function is a stroke of genius and works really well.

It's a functional compressor; it doesn't sweeten the sound like the Origin Effects or Accountant (haven't tried that one but all reports make mention of it) - it simply gives out what you put in with an exact amount of levelling applied and shaped to taste.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    Fretwired said:
    I'm after a compressor for my pedal board - I play a Strat and I am interested in the TC Hypergravity multi-band compressor. Has anyone used one? I'm also wonder whether a Wampler Ego might be worth trying. I don't want anything that squishes and dulls the sound too much.

Recommendations?
    what are you actually trying to do with the compressor exactly ?