Ernie ball vs d'addario

What's Hot
NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
So, which do you think are better, and why?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    I took a journey through endless different string types about a year ago. In the end, I came back to D’addario standard 10’s. 

I’m sure they’re not the best but they feel right to me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    Used EBs until 1996, then changed to D’Addarios. Never had one break, they always sound good, intonate well and last ‘much’ longer than EBs. Plus they’re pretty cheap and available pretty much everywhere.
  • guitarcookie1guitarcookie1 Frets: 464
    D’Addarios every time. 

EB’s feel “slimey” to the touch and Rotos sound dead/muted to me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4800
    edited May 2018
    D'Addarios, they feel better and last longer than other brands. I had Ernie's for a long time but for some reason I felt the quality drop off a number of years ago and went back to D'Addarios. Ernie's just seem to turn to shit really quickly for some reason. The D'Addarios wear in well and then stay that way for a while. YMMV of course..... 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22822
    edited May 2018
    Another D'Addario user here.  No idea if they're really any better than anything else, I haven't tried anything else for many years except whatever came on the guitars I've bought.  I like the colour-coded ball ends (I think other brands may have copied that now).

Nothing against Ernie Ball though, in the days when I had a Kahler tremolo their RPS strings were more break-resistant than other brands of reinforced strings.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    tFB Trader
    D'Addario. I used to use EB but had issues with uneven winds. I still occasionally see EB strings fresh out of the packet with rust on them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3157
    tFB Trader
    I've never had good luck with D'Addario, always DOA. EB Pure Nickel for me.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3201
    EB don’t seem to last 5 minutes. D’Addario have always seemed to be more reliable and  to hold the bright new string tone for longer. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Never D’Addario as long as they come in those stupid packs. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gilbygilby Frets: 176
    D'Addario for me too. Used to use eb slinky but like others here i found the quality dropped a long while ago. Have actually got Rotos for a trial as I got some cheap but they aren't lasting as long as Dads.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    gilby said:
    D'Addario for me too. Used to use eb slinky but like others here i found the quality dropped a long while ago. Have actually got Rotos for a trial as I got some cheap but they aren't lasting as long as Dads.
    I tried Rotos for a while (several sets) and they definitely don't last as long as D'Addarios.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    D'Addario 9-42s, been using them for decades (not the same set, obviously).
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    I’ll be the odd duck then. I prefer EB’s, never had a dud set, never broken a string I wasn’t trying to break already and they work well with my body chemistry and last ages. D’addarios on the other hand feel almost square under my fingers and go dull really quick. 
    I’m currently trialing exlirs nano and optiweb and I can’t make my mind up. Nanos seem to have increased tension so on instruments tunes down I can get away with one gauge lighter if I want but I can feel the coating and it’s slippery. 
    Optiwebs so far seem nice, worth the price? Time will tell I guess. 
  • Ernie Ball here. I discussed this with someone from Daddario that I bumped into at one point. The G and B string seem to feel quite matted very quickly and I learned that this was due to the tin content. This was making me feel they were deal before they actually were. Ernie Ball are also slightly less tension which means the Ernie Ball 11’s that I prefer to use actually feel perfect. Average size core but less tension 
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2198
    D'Addarios for me too,  I've experimented with others from time to time but nothing else feels right. 

Not sure what the actual variables are between brands though 
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2198
    edited May 2018
  • FrizerFrizer Frets: 45
    If I was given them for free I’d use EBs. They’re great but don’t last long.

I use GHS Boomers these days, D’Addario don’t ring out enough.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    D'addario for me. Used to use EBs but switched after realising just how much better D'addarios sound. Don't like the stupid way they're packed though.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited May 2018
    D’Addarios on everything for me. Price, availability, tone, longevity.. ideal ratio for me.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    rico said:
    Never D’Addario as long as they come in those stupid packs. 
    D'Addario for me too (EXL120's 009-042's) - but the way they wrap two strings together is very annoying. I put up with it because the strings are good.  I do wish they came in separate packets though like EB - but as has been said already, EB strings don't last anywhere near as long and D'Addario's can be found much more cheaply. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)