So Played a Gibson CC “The Beast”

What's Hot
peteripeteri Frets: 1283
As a massive early Whitesnake fan, thought I’d love it. 

Complete disappointment - felt like a very average modern standard with a bit of an unwieldy neck and some adequate relic work. 

Was as it just a dud?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    I played one a while ago, and i felt exactly the same. Maybe it was the same one? Dunno. For me it wasnt a patch on my Studio Faded (yes really), and 3 other people i was with all came to same conclusion. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3201
    Every lester Gibson have ever made has to be taken on its own merit, appearance is really only a small factor in how good an instrument is (or too often isn’t). 
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited May 2018
    I'm not convinced of any consistency at Gibson. I almost bought a knockout R8 some years ago. But I've played some disappointing R9's. My mates LP Custom is a nice guitar. My 2017 Classic is the he best LP I've played. Plus with any expensive guitar, there's the law of diminishing returns.

Like me others have said, just judge each guitar on its own merits.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    I’ve got two old Les Pauls - this one just wasn’t even reminiscent of them. 

Agree - I’ve played better studios 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    jeztone2 said:
    I'm not convinced of any consistency at Gibson. I almost bought a knockout R8 some years ago. But I've played some disappointing R9's. My mates LP Custom is a nice guitar. My 2017 Classic is the he best LP I've played. Plus with any expensive guitar, there's the law of diminishing returns.

Like me others have said, just judge each guitar on its own merits.
    The Memphis stuff seems to be fairly consistent from what I have played
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    How much does a ‘Beast’ cost?

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    This was for sale at £7500. 

So the equivalent of two early 70s Les Paul Customs!
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    well the worst sounding les paul i have ever played was an aged custom shop les paul, bloody 9k new and some silly person paid 6.5k secondhand, i don't think i played it more than 5 mins and ox4 pickups did not help one bit
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22809
    I didn't know CC DeVille had a Beast.
  • Excuse my ignorance but what makes the CC's that different from R8& R9's? do they both use custombuckers? 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    I honestly think they let a lot of shit through the relic department.... even some Tom Murphy’s look rushed in comparison to others.

A convincing relic is not just wear, its patina.  They all go through a fake wear stage but extra work on the patina helps it all bed into something convincing.  Gibson often go too far on the wear and not far enough on the patina.

not sure what I mean...

here is one of my own builds just after the major wear process

and then there is  patina

or you can have a £7k Gibson ultra relic with "sprayed on relic"

3reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    WezV said:
    I honestly think they let a lot of shit through the relic department.... even some Tom Murphy’s look rushed in comparison to others.

A convincing relic is not just wear, its patina.  They all go through a fake wear stage but extra work on the patina helps it all bed into something convincing.  Gibson often go too far on the wear and not far enough on the patina.

not sure what I mean...

Your work is spectacular.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    peteri said:
    This was for sale at £7500. 

So the equivalent of two early 70s Les Paul Customs!

Wow!

WezV said:

not sure what I mean...

Nice work Wez. The Gibson one is a joke.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Philly_Q said:
    I didn't know CC DeVille had a Beast.

@Philly_Q Neither did I, but all children have their moments, trust me.

http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/cbb/2007/12/02/cc_deville_2.jpg

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom