New London guitar show!

What's Hot
Just read on music radar about guitarist of the year 2018 then read this 

‘We’re working alongside our sister titles Guitarist, Total Guitar and Guitar Techniques to find our 2018 Young Guitarist of the Year, to be announced at our brand-new UK Guitar Show on 29 and 30 September 2018’

Is this the return of a larger show like the old days I wonder. Guitar shows do appear to be on the up again with footfall increasing year on year 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    That sounds interesting.
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    That's less than five months away. Why hasn't anyone heard about this show yet?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14319
    edited May 2018 tFB Trader
    @Jason ; called me about this the other day, so he will update more than me - believe it to be at Olympia so instantly a no interest from me

Arm and leg to park as an exhibitor - expensive to rent stand space - plus additional cost of hotel etc in/around Kensington

Will be interesting to see if it actually happens - last time the Future Advertising group looked at organising a guitar show, they were looking at restricting what we could take to exhibit on our own stand - For example we could only take brand A on our stand if brand A themselves were exhibiting at the show with their own stand - It was debatable if used guitars were allowed

Let's watch this space with interest
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    @JasonH called me about this the other day, so he will update more than me - believe it to be at Olympia so instantly a no interest from me

Arm and leg to park as an exhibitor - expensive to rent stand space - plus additional cost of hotel etc in/around Kensington

Will be interesting to see if it actually happens - last time the Future Advertising group looked at organising a guitar show, they were looking at restricting what we could take to exhibit on our own stand - For example we could only take brand A on our stand if brand A themselves were exhibiting at the show with their own stand - It was debatable if used guitars were allowed

Let's watch this space with interest
    Central London Venue - We covered this last year when folk were moaning that Birmingham was too far away. As in the “if it’s not in London, it doesn’t exist” mentality.

The cost of hiring a hall and all the associated support meant that ticket prices (and exhibitor charges) would mean a lower take up/ attendance.

Kempton Park is about the closest decent sized venue to central London that also gave a reasonable entry fee and exibitor cost.

We also concurred that a central London venue will struggle to attract anyone outside the M25, regardless of the entry price. London tends to put a lot of people off. For a number of reasons.
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3174
    edited May 2018 tFB Trader
    Yeah it’s at the Olympia, I’ve been given the sales pitch already but stand cost is hilariously expensive along with other costs so it’s a no from me. 

On the other side, good on them for at least trying, I suppose.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14319
    tFB Trader
    RiftAmps said:
    Yeah it’s at the Olympia, I’ve been given the sales pitch already but stand cost is hilariously expensive along with other costs so it’s a no from me. 

On on the other side, good on them for at least trying, I suppose.
    total pain to load in/out - 1st floor - 1 large lift - so on leaving, you have to wait for it to be loaded at 1st floor - go down to ground - unloaded and back up again etc etc - 3-5 trips at least with a decent loading trolley 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27649
    RiftAmps said:
    I’ve been given the sales pitch already 
    Well, no-one has been in touch to offer us a stand there.

So I prefer @Jason's shows
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    Thanks @TTony

I've been aware that it was coming for a while, thankfully I seem to have the support of large parts of the industry, so many of my exhibitors have been in touch to tell me they aren't doing it.

Its a little disappointing to see that their art work is similar to what I was using a few years back and that the name they have chosen could be considered "passing off" from mine, maybe I should be flattered, but I suspect its a deliberate move.

I know that its considerably more expensive than mine and that is before you add the associated London costs on top, £36 per day to park your car for example.

I'm not actually sure that the hall they are using is bigger, I think its smaller, although the name Olympia certainly would have you think its a bigger show.

Fortunately I'm over 80% booked for 2019, so it shouldn't have too much of an impact.

From an event organiser's point of view, giving yourself May, June, Half of July, Half of September (2nd half of July and all of August are dead business wise) doesn't seem very long to sort out a major show...

I guess we will see.

Bet you can't get curry and chips for 3 quid :)
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3673
    From an attendees PoV, living in Manchester, I won't be going. I can get to Bingley in just under 2hrs each way in the car and park for nothing. I'll use a quarter of a tank (say about £18) plus the £12 entry fee and  coffee and a curry means it's costing me about £37 for the show run by @Jason

There's no way I'm driving to London (5 hours each way) and paying for parking so I'll need to get the train which would cost me £10 parking locally, £50 return train ticket from the NW, plus £7 on the Tube and then £20 (guessing) entry fee and finally £10 (guessing again) for food. That's about £100 and there's no @guitars4you @RiftAmps and no Fretboard.

Not a chance.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    I'd support it if attendees are decent enough.
  • I won’t be going as anything London based is a major ball ache 

When they used to have the big show at Wembley I went every year but as soon as they moved to docklands area I never bothered after that