Laney PL65 fault

Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7822

I'm happy to admit I'm not an amp repairer, unless it's something simple like a pot replacement.

I've been asked to replace a pot (Master Vol), but the description of the problem "when the pot is turned it doesn't go up in volume, then it jumps in volume and only settles in a few places" makes me wonder if it's more than a pot causing the problem.

I'd rather send the owner to a local amp repairer than waste his (and my) time, I'm not one for charging someone for something I've failed to fix.

So pot, or something failing elsewhere ?
"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    Sounds like a dirty pot. I would clean all the pots, and the FX loop jacks, with Servisol before going any further - don't even change the pot until you've done that.

These are extremely robust and reliable amps in general, and it's quite likely the problem is nothing more than one of these, which are the most common faults by far.

They are also worth a pittance despite this and the quite usable volume and sound quality, so best not to spend more on it than you have to...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    +1 for IC's diagnosis, the Pro-Linebackers are solid amps, but not worth a fortune these days, so a good clean of the pots is the first port of call and also don't be afraid to try WD40, it is a last resort but does work prior to physically changing a pot - we have all been there  ;)    
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    Yes, I’m happy to use and recommend WD-40 as a ‘second strike’ cleaner - I would always try Servisol or another proper contact cleaner first, but if that fails you have nothing to lose by trying WD-40, and it very often does work.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7822

Thanks guys, I've passed on the information so he can do it himself if he wishes.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister