Anyone remember Alligator amps?

What's Hot
John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
A mate of mine has an alligator 30 for sale - just curious about them.     I thought they were built in the 80s for a while but can’t remember specifics.  

https://imgur.com/gallery/GWrlycc

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_P said:
    A mate of mine has an alligator 30 for sale - just curious about them.     I thought they were built in the 80s for a while but can’t remember specifics.  

Great for a snappy, biting tone.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Paging @HarrySeven ;
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    Our bass player back in the 80's had one for a while. They were supposed to be good for guitar and bass but I remember I didn't like my guitar through it.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31593
    They were fairly short lived I think and like Badger and Ohm just incredibly bland. 

There were a load of brands around that time which just seemed utterly pointless in a world where used Superleads were a hundred quid. 
  • DougCodaDougCoda Frets: 642
    I remember them being an "all purpose amp" and not particularly exciting sounding, they did a job as did many solid state amps at the time in a rather unspectacular way.. I'm sure they had a shop on the Blackstock Road in Finsbury Park back in the 90's  when I lived in Stokey, it never seemed to be open and was full of old junk and dusty stuff..
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72384
    Exactly that - someone apparently had the 'bright' idea of making an amp which would have a wide, flat frequency response so it would be suitable for any instrument.

And they did indeed have a wide, flat... bland, boring, completely characterless tone. 'Someone' obviously forgot that the reason there are different instruments is to make different sounds.

I seem to remember them being tolerably well made, but I can't be more specific than that - I only ever saw two or three of them. Definitely early-mid 1980s.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031
    impmann said:

:)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    John_P said:

Great for a snappy, biting tone.
    I heard they were a bit of a croc...
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I haven’t seen it close up but his pics have a standby switch - never seen that before on a solid state but I assume it’s not valve.   
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    ICBM said:
    Exactly that - someone apparently had the 'bright' idea of making an amp which would have a wide, flat frequency response so it would be suitable for any instrument.

And they did indeed have a wide, flat... bland, boring, completely characterless tone. 'Someone' obviously forgot that the reason there are different instruments is to make different sounds.

I seem to remember them being tolerably well made, but I can't be more specific than that - I only ever saw two or three of them. Definitely early-mid 1980s.
    So maybe not too bad as a cheap amp to stick a modeller with.... Line6, eleven rack, GSP1101 etc etc.
    mr-mac said:

So maybe not too bad as a cheap amp to stick a modeller with.... Line6, eleven rack, GSP1101 etc etc.
    Yes, probably quite good for that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    i dont think they 'swamped' the market
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14444
    ICBM said:
    someone apparently had the 'bright' idea of making an amp which would have a wide, flat frequency response so it would be suitable for any instrument.

A bassist and rehearsal room owner in my area had one - a 2x10, if I recall correctly. If imposed upon to lend a bass amp for an open mic night, he would supply the Alligator, secure in the knowledge that nobody would want to steal it.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    I heard they where a croc of shit. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    They were heavily promoted in the press of the day. Thick green tolex and a 2x10" set diagonally with sort of triangle ports in the other two corners. Quite a brittle tranny sound iirc. Didn't live up to the hype. As P90fool says you could get a sound city or roost or impact valve head for peanuts that would sound fabulous even if it looked a bit rough.

• vizviz Frets: 10699
    edited June 2019
    Is this the small company in Montreux or are there two Alligator amps? The one in Montreux seems amazing - I was there yesterday - he has an awesome workshop. The guy used to build amplifiers mainly to order - they’re all point-to-point valve amps. He has a heritage in amp design, tweaking, etc and he also restores old amps. I can’t believe his amps were bland - they’re all unique and are things of beauty. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    @John_P could you re-upload the picture by any chance? I’d love to see it 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    viz said:
    Is this the small company in Montreux or are there two Alligator amps? The one in Montreux seems amazing - I was there yesterday - he has an awesome workshop. The guy used to build amplifiers mainly to order - they’re all point-to-point valve amps. He has a heritage in amp design, tweaking, etc and he also restores old amps. I can’t believe his amps were bland - they’re all unique and are things of beauty. 
    Must be a different company.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    This is the original lineup.

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    I remember those , OMG I feel old ;)